DS Tidbit #25 - Who are these guys?

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

DS Tidbit #25 - Who are these guys?

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:22 pm

First of all, I apologize for the tardiness of this tidbit.

Second, I don’t know if it was just me, but it was not clear to me who wrote the last 2 chapters. We know it was Darren Gross and Stuart Manning. But who are they?

Darren Gross

Darren Gross is currently an archivist/technical services coordinator at MGM Studios, a director at Big Finish Productions and has been a consultant and archivist for Dan Curtis Productions since 1999. He has a BA in Film Production from New York University. This explains his particular perspective in Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood.

As an archivist and technical services coordinator at MGM since 2008, he coordinates preservation and restoration of film and audio assets for the M-G-M film and TV library, acts as liaison between contract services and the client (i.e. arranging creation and delivery of encoded files and video dubs of MGM’s titles for distribution). He also researches missing and unidentified film elements and inventory cleanup. Having recently found long-thought lost deleted scenes material for the film Blue Velvet, he produced and coordinated the creation of an extensive selection of these for Blu-ray release with David Lynch and his team, edited from scratch from the original camera negative daily rolls, and music and sound effects fully finished.

He is the Los Angeles session director for fully licensed and produced dramatic audio dramas, created for CD and download for the UK company Big Finish for the Dark Shadows and Highlander ranges. At Big Finish he also consults on story and continuity and has additional production coordination and casting duties. He’s been with Big Finish for 7 years.

Prior to his work in film, he was an executive assistant and office manager at RGA Public Relations in Westwood.

He is credited with the video documentary short, Judy Geeson: Inseminoid Girl (2004). He directed and appeared (as Ms. Geeson’s interviewer). He also directed Big Finish Productions’s audio play, Dark Shadows: The Path of Fate, starring Lara Parker and David Selby. Stuart Manning was the producer.

As Darren tells us in Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood, a good portion of footage was cut from Night of Dark Shadows. It was thought to be lost forever. But Darren located much of the missing footage in 1999 and is spearheading a drive to produce a restored version of the movie. As Jim Pierson said in the Q&A, they are still working on this and is hopeful it will happen. Here’s the link I found on this, which includes an interview with Darren:

Darren is the tall guy in the red shirt on the left in this picture. Click on the thumbnail:

Stuart Manning

Stuart Manning, not to be confused with the actor from the TV show Hollyoaks, is a London based graphic designer, writer and audio producer. Manning has written several Dark Shadows Big Finish Audio Dramas as well as producing the series since 2006. He also co-writes with Aaron Campbell the Dark Shadows comic book series from Dynamite Entertainment. He made an appearance at the 2011 Dark Shadows Festival in New York.

Since around 2004, he’s been working in the magazine industry - on Inside Soap, the UK's largest soap opera magazine and as the Art Editor of Doctor Who Magazine, which is the official journal for the hit BBC series.

Manning does freelance work, designing books and CD covers, including pieces for the Doctor Who and Dark Shadows series, and he oversaw the entire design for Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia, a bestselling large-format hardback, published by BBC Books in 2007.

For more information on Stuart’s designs and more, see his website:

Sources:

Collinwood.net
Dark Shadows Wikia
IMDb
LinkedIn
Wikipedia
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Re: DS Tidbit #25 - Who are these guys?

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:39 pm

:ok:
Thanks, Liz!
I was wondering that, too.

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”