DS Tidbit #23 - Seaview Terrace

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

DS Tidbit #23 - Seaview Terrace

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Pg. 103: On a sparkling, unseasonably warm late October afternoon, I stood on the bluffs in front of Seaview Terrace, as it’s known by locals in Newport, Rhode Island, and looked at waves crashing against a rocky shore. Yes, those waves. The ones that made their debut more than 45 years ago under the opening credits of the premiere episode of Dark Shadows.

More of the rocky shore known as Sheep Point Cove:

Pg. 106:
Beginning 1976, the mansion housed Salve Regina University dorm and classrooms for three decades.

Seaview Terrace, aka the Carey Mansion, aka Collinwood is located at 207 Ruggles Avenue, Newport, RI. You’ll also see Salve Regina U. Check it out on Google maps (be sure it’s in satellite mode):

This is not the Carey Mansion in the distance, but it is a picture of Sheep Point Cove. The mansion is to the left of the picture that was taken.

And here is another shot from the other direction, but Seaview still eludes us.

There is a walk along the entire eastern edge of this peninsula, called Cliff Walk. This is a view looking across Easton Bay:

Sometimes others can tell a better story than I. So I will let the official Seaview Terrace website do it:

Original Collinswood vs. Collinswood 2012....hard to tell the difference:

Image Image

Sources:

asergeev.com
SeaviewTerrace.org
Wikipedia
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: DS Tidbit #23 - Seaview Terrace

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Wow, what a house! 40,000 square feet and they MOVED it from Washington DC to Newport, Rhode Island? Well, dismantled and rebuilt....unbelievable!

Thanks for the info, Liz!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: DS Tidbit #23 - Seaview Terrace

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm so off on my tidbits this discussion. It occurred to me tonight while I was working on my Collinsport tidbit (yeah, still working on that and not done yet....real life, you know :banghead: ), that I should have done a comparison shot between the original Collinswood and Collinswood 2012. :dunce: So check out my edits above.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”