The Thin Man Question #22 - The Final Question

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Thin Man Question #22 - The Final Question

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

Noodlemantras, the time has come again to end our discussion. It’s been great sleuthing with you.

Before I ask the last question, I want to tell you what’s up next for ONBC. We’ll be taking a little hiatus while we wait for our next book to be released…..

Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood
By Kathryn Leigh Scott and Jim Pierson with a foreward by Jonathan Frid.

The book will not be available until March 27 (on Barnes and Noble site). Amazon does not give an available date. Both are taking pre-orders. April 3 is listed as the publication date. So I imagine it will be available then.

Tidbits will start on May 11 – when we “return to Collinwood” on the big screen with Johnny.

And now for the final question.........

Is there anything else that you would like to discuss that we didn’t bring up?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: The Thin Man Question #22 - The Final Question

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:20 am

Sounds like we Noodlemantras will be right in the thick of things with a brand new hot off the presses book!

Thanks, as always, for leading us through the Thin Man, Liz and DITHOT. It can't have been an easy book to work with.

I don't read many mystery type books, so I am curious if there are readers here who can compare Hammett's work with some of the more current writers. The closest thing I have read is one of Barry Eisler's Rain series and I felt it was less cluttered with side characters and had more action and character building. But I don't really know........ :perplexed:

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Well I haven't read everything posted in here on the Thin Man, but I don't recall any discussion of the TV series the Thin Man. Peter Lawford starred in that series. I actually thought he did a much better job in the role than William Powell. :fear:

I was wondering if I was the only one who saw the TV series?
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm

nebraska wrote:Sounds like we Noodlemantras will be right in the thick of things with a brand new hot off the presses book!

Thanks, as always, for leading us through the Thin Man, Liz and DITHOT. It can't have been an easy book to work with.

I don't read many mystery type books, so I am curious if there are readers here who can compare Hammett's work with some of the more current writers. The closest thing I have read is one of Barry Eisler's Rain series and I felt it was less cluttered with side characters and had more action and character building. But I don't really know........ :perplexed:

I am not familiar with the more current writers. I grew up with Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason series and Nancy Drew. Both were more tightly drawn mysteries.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:01 pm

shadowydog wrote:Well I haven't read everything posted in here on the Thin Man, but I don't recall any discussion of the TV series the Thin Man. Peter Lawford starred in that series. I actually thought he did a much better job in the role than William Powell. :fear:

I was wondering if I was the only one who saw the TV series?

I remember it being on television at our house, but I am just enough younger than you that my memory is very vague of it. ;-)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

I guess I was too young for the tv series to have made an impression on me.

As for current writers, I'm not up on my mystery writers so not much help there. Good question tbough!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:31 pm

[youtube]t13wW3lc5GE[/youtube]

I never saw the TV series. I was a toddler. Peter Lawford looks so young there. And Phyllis Kirk sure looks the part.

I rarely read mysteries. I’ve read Daniel’s two books. And I loved them. But they are so totally different from the others I’ve read…..James Patterson, Tony Hillerman (too long ago to remember), Diane Mott Davidson (culinary mysteries), and these three are all totally different. Daniel is the closed to Hammett's style of the one's I've read.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

:thankyou: Thanks ladies for another wonderful and intelligent discussion!
I always learn something new and all of you find ways to make me think more about the stories. :ok:

Looking forward to visiting Collinwood with you! :goodvibes:

As for The Thin Man, I would love to see what Johnny and Rob have in store for us. They both admire and respect that era and I feel confident that they'll make a good movie. Looking forward to it.

And, no, a tad young to remember the TV series, SD. :razz:

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks so much DITHOTbaba and Lizbaba for a great discussion, it really made me realize how much I've missed taking part in them.

My favorite mystery writer is Tony Hillerman, his imagery, attention to detail, and character development make his books so consuming you hate for them to end. Hillerman's books aren't stylistically like Hammett's the time period and culture are just too different. For me the closest to Hammett I can think of is Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series.

Sorry SD, I've never seen the TV series.

Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up with you all again when you Return to Collinwood. Image

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

:bouquet: Thanks to Liz and DITHOT for another great job of leading us through this adventure. Enjoyed the book and the discussions. See you in Collinwood

Return to “The Thin Man”