The Thin Man Question #19 ~ Why the Thin Man?

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Thin Man Question #19 ~ Why the Thin Man?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 am

Why do you suppose Johnny chose this book and character?

(Sorry to be posting and running again this morning!)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

winona

Re: The Thin Man Question #19 ~ Why the Thin Man?

Unread postby winona » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I have been mulling this one over all morning. Johnny may have been one of those souls born in the wrong time, and the era may have a certain appeal to him. I do believe the humor of Nick is up his alley! But remember it was said of Johnny Why would he accept the part in SW- Maybe he just wanted to play a guy named Mort :biggrin:
Because love has your face and body .....and your hands are tender and your mouth is sweet-and God has made no other eyes like yours. Walter Benton

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:34 pm

I think that the era - the clothing, the whole atmosphere - appeals to Johnny. And the humor.

We seem to live in an age of remakes of old movies and television shows. In a way it would be nice to just leave the Powell and Loy films remain in peace. They are truly charming and entertaining and they are still fun to watch now sixty years later. That part of Johnny's choice puzzles me. Sweeney Todd, Dark Shadows, the Lone Ranger are all remakes, and numerous sequels to Pirates continue to re-work an old character. It seems to be the way of movie-making in general these days, but Johnny has never been one to follow the crowd, so I do wonder at the choices.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Of course - it is a great story with an interesting storyline. It can be very serious with the crimes and murders and at the same time be humorus. Johnny seems to appreciate clever and good writing. And the 30's were a very complex and interesting period. Look how Johnny submerged himself in the Dillinger time frame. How ever he decides to play it - we will look forward to it. :-)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm

I think there is a general assumption at play: there is nothing new.

So, if that's really the case then revisiting old things and making them "new" by presenting new insights into a story, new ways of presenting a tale, is a valid undertaking. I guess you could consider what he's doing as a variation on an old theme -- i.e. the Powell take on Hammett, the Depp take on Hammett. I rather like the concept of variations as they can reveal things not seen before or not viewed from just that perspective. We have countless variations on one song done in music without a second thought -- we can do it in films too, and "see" something new.

I remain intrigued by two things: adding choreography and Depp actually agreeing to be a traditional no holds barred leading man.

I like the notion of music; I can even imagine it. I just want to hear and see it -- I can almost feel it, the jazz of it.

With regard to "leading man" -- I hope I am not treading on some future question. Briefly, Nick Charles has got to be front and center, the draw, the magnet, the charm, the humor. It's a largely romantic lead, one half of a lovely seesaw. I don't want the character of Nick further elucidated ala Frank Tupelo. I want to bask in the play between Nora and himself if you will. Otherwise, don't bother guys.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 am

I wouldn't call Nick a typical romantic lead. I'd say he's more about being a detective, a drinker and the guy with the one-liners. And JD is rather good at those one-liners. Yes, he loves Nora. But there isn't a lot of passion, really. It's more comic and more about finding out who dunnit. I'd say it's a little bit like Paul Kemp or Captain Jack Sparrow or even Ichabod.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 am

nebraska wrote:I think that the era - the clothing, the whole atmosphere - appeals to Johnny. And the humor.

We seem to live in an age of remakes of old movies and television shows. In a way it would be nice to just leave the Powell and Loy films remain in peace. They are truly charming and entertaining and they are still fun to watch now sixty years later. That part of Johnny's choice puzzles me. Sweeney Todd, Dark Shadows, the Lone Ranger are all remakes, and numerous sequels to Pirates continue to re-work an old character. It seems to be the way of movie-making in general these days, but Johnny has never been one to follow the crowd, so I do wonder at the choices.

nebraska, I think you are on to something here. With the economy being what it is we've seen how the studios have hunkered down not wanting to take big risks sticking with the tried and true (i.e. all the sequels and remakes of popular films and TV shows); the only exceptions it appears may be animated films (probably because they cost less to produce). And there's good reason for some of this reasoning. People don't have the disposable income to attend films as often as they once did and ticket prices are going up. Perhaps what's going on is that in this atmosphere it's just plain hard to get films done that don't have the potential to get mainstream audiences to come to the theaters. So for an actor like Johnny, who doesn't do the usual stuff, perhaps and inspired idea is to use material for remakes that aren't the usual fare (Sweeney, DS, TTM; and this kind of thinking would be true of Tim as well). Johnny made his risky film last year when he completed TRD, and while most of us loved the film, we know it wasn't a big hit. We know that Johnny likes to keep his head busy, and I recall him saying during the PE interviews that he want's to stay away from dark material for a bit. So I think for an actor of Johnny's temperament doing these kinds of films, would allow him to do what he loves (without selling out) and at the same time keep the studios online to work with him.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:18 am

Liz wrote:I wouldn't call Nick a typical romantic lead. I'd say he's more about being a detective, a drinker and the guy with the one-liners. And JD is rather good at those one-liners. Yes, he loves Nora. But there isn't a lot of passion, really. It's more comic and more about finding out who dunnit. I'd say it's a little bit like Paul Kemp or Captain Jack Sparrow or even Ichabod.

Actually in the films it's very obvious that Nick and Nora are very much in love. It's seen in the sly glances they give each other, the wisecracks and goofs they play on each other, his protectiveness of her (and in one film Nick shows a bit of jealousy toward Guild; but it's nicely done) and not to mention the out and out smooches. I think that kind of romance is right up Johnny's alley and I hope we get to see it. I can't wait find out who his Nora will be.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you Boo and fireflydances. You have given me a lot to think about regarding the remakes. I still would love to see Johnny doing new and original material, but firefly certainly put a different spin on it for me. After reading the comments here, I might actually begin to look forward to Johnny's portrayal of Nick. :cool:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:04 am

nebraska wrote:Thank you Boo and fireflydances. You have given me a lot to think about regarding the remakes. I still would love to see Johnny doing new and original material, but firefly certainly put a different spin on it for me. After reading the comments here, I might actually begin to look forward to Johnny's portrayal of Nick. :cool:

:ok:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Boo-Radley wrote:
Liz wrote:I wouldn't call Nick a typical romantic lead. I'd say he's more about being a detective, a drinker and the guy with the one-liners. And JD is rather good at those one-liners. Yes, he loves Nora. But there isn't a lot of passion, really. It's more comic and more about finding out who dunnit. I'd say it's a little bit like Paul Kemp or Captain Jack Sparrow or even Ichabod.

Actually in the films it's very obvious that Nick and Nora are very much in love. It's seen in the sly glances they give each other, the wisecracks and goofs they play on each other, his protectiveness of her (and in one film Nick shows a bit of jealousy toward Guild; but it's nicely done) and not to mention the out and out smooches. I think that kind of romance is right up Johnny's alley and I hope we get to see it. I can't wait find out who his Nora will be.

I was being obtuse yesterday in trying to explain what I was thinking. It is very obvious that they are in love, but it is not a love story. The love is there, but it is peripheral to the plot. On the other hand, it is their chemistry and comedic genius that makes the movies work. I know Johnny has the comedic genius. But I have had a heck of a time trying to cast (in my mind) Nora. It just so happens that we will be discussing just that in our next question. :biggrin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:29 pm

nebraska wrote:Thank you Boo and fireflydances. You have given me a lot to think about regarding the remakes. I still would love to see Johnny doing new and original material, but firefly certainly put a different spin on it for me. After reading the comments here, I might actually begin to look forward to Johnny's portrayal of Nick. :cool:

Liz wrote:
Boo-Radley wrote:

I was being obtuse yesterday in trying to explain what I was thinking. It is very obvious that they are in love, but it is not a love story. The love is there, but it is peripheral to the plot. On the other hand, it is their chemistry and comedic genius that makes the movies work. I know Johnny has the comedic genius. But I have had a heck of a time trying to cast (in my mind) Nora. It just so happens that we will be discussing just that in our next question. :biggrin:

:highfive:

Live in Depp
Boo

Return to “The Thin Man”