The Thin Man Question #17 ~ Popularity

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Thin Man Question #17 ~ Popularity

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Why do you think the book and the subsequent movies were so popular?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Thin Man Question #17 ~ Popularity

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:38 pm

The times, simply the times.

Frustration with the mean-spirited given of those days, lean to the point of absurd. The book and the movies provide momentary entry into a world where things were glamorous and actually not particularly serious; even getting shot at was a sort of a goof. And they were also rebellious at their core -- absolutely subversive -- fast and loose times, a tone disdainful of those theoretically 'in charge' because, at least from the standpoint of the book, they were just as much on the take and those they attempted to drag to justice. I think they spoke equally to the dark heart of people and to their irrepressible sense that we all deserve to live big, at least part of the time.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I think you're on to something, firefly. The books and movies were entertaining - fast-paced, witty, flippant about the darker side of life. They were fun, and funny without resorting to meanness or stupidity. What's not to like?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm

I like your theory, Firefly. I think I would enjoy the book and movie also if I lived during those times.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

I agree with firefly it gets back to what we have been saying about the need for people during the Great Depression to escape their everyday circumstances. As it's been said before Nick and Nora live a glamorous high-flying life; filled with social intrigue and the occasional murder...shoot that even sounds interesting by today's standards. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 pm

During this time period - people were tired of being depressed about life's struggles and the movies helped to lift their spirits - if even for a short while. I know some movies try to give a moral or deep meaning to the viewers - but sometimes we just need to relax and laugh and enjoy. :heart2:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am

ladylinn wrote:During this time period - people were tired of being depressed about life's struggles and the movies helped to lift their spirits - if even for a short while. I know some movies try to give a moral or deep meaning to the viewers - but sometimes we just need to relax and laugh and enjoy. :heart2:

:highfive:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:34 pm

A great escape indeed. Heck we still enjoy that sort of thing and probably always have. Look at tv shows like Dallas, etc. People never seem to get tired of watching the dysfunctional rich folk. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Thin Man”