The Thin Man Question #16 ~ The Movie vs. The Book

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Thin Man Question #16 ~ The Movie vs. The Book

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Noodlemantras,

I'm posting DITHOT's question here for her. (I posed as her yesterday) She's been AWOL for the past few days because her computer crashed and her DH is still working on installing the new hard drive. And it could be a few more days before she returns.

[youtube]PG3NZjRv2nM[/youtube]

Have you watched the movie version? What did you think of the changes? Did you prefer one over the other?

LIZ NOTE: I found the above video for those who did not get a chance to see the movie. It's a great video. Although their are lines from later movies, many of them are from the first movie. It shows the scene where Morelli shoots Nick and also the different way the movie approached the ending - the formal dinner.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: The Thin Man Question #16 - The Movie vs. The Book

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I bought a set of four DVD Thin Man movies and have watched the first two so far. I think the movies give me a much more fun vision of Nora and her witty comments. I definitely like Nick and Nora much better in the movies. I love the YouTube video, Liz! There were so many funny moments in the movie! The one with the butler is classic. :biglaugh:

I liked the movie better. I thought it made sense to have Dorothy be a little more mature and I found the plot much less convoluted than the book. However, it is always hard to compare, if I had seen the movie first I would have had a different view of the book as well. For me, there were such a large number of characters that I had trouble keeping them straight, it is much easier with the visual created by watching a movie.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

:thanks!: Thanks for filling in Liz.
I hope DITHOT can return to the world wide Web soon. :zoner:

I saw the movies first. I love the rapport between William Powell and Myrna Loy. I also love the rapport between Nick and Nora in the book. I think the movies were well cast.

I found both to be clever, witty and entertaining. I wish Hammett had written more Thin Man books. It would have been great to see how Nick and Nora's creator would have continued the series.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

"Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean...will you serve the guests the nuts?"

I saw the movie before I read the book. I think I like the movie better because it was easier to keep all the characters in order...and because the jokes and wisecracks (and sight gags) were priceless.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Yes, T, that was a good one. So many good lines! I just think that Powell and Loy were perfect for Nick and Nora. Powell and Loy have a heck of a lot of chemistry together.

I have to say I liked the movie better. And I was surprised. Except for watching a couple of Fatty Arbuckle films for ONBC and some other various old French You Tube videos (also for ONBC), I haven't watched an old movie in 30+ years. I was turned off when I was a young adult by whatever movies I had seen (can't remember which ones) and had no interest to watch anymore. The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind were the exception. So I wasn't expecting much from The Thin Man.

But I was pleasantly surprised. I think I could watch The Thin Man again and again and again. And now I wonder what other movies I have missed out on because of my prejudice against old movies. There is a world out there for me to explore.

I much prefer the ending of the movie to the book. I like the idea of Nick inviting them all to dinner. Much less confusing, too. The explanations are accompanied by flashbacks. And the suspense is greater with all of the suspects present.

The casting was really good for the movie, too. Everyone seemed perfect for the part. I liked Maureen O'Sullivan a lot. She seemed so familiar to me throughout the film. So I looked her up. Well, that explained it. She's Mia Farrow's mom. I see her in Mia. Plus Mia's got her voice, her mannerisms and her timing. I'm thinking specifically of Mia's role as Daisy in The Great Gatsby.

One thing I did not like about the film. But that is only because I read the book first. Dorothy was not engaged to a guy in the book. So it bugged me that the film changed the story line. I guess I would have liked to see Quinn flirt with her, etc.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 am

It's shallow of me, but I have to confess that I like the movie better, at least in part because of Nora's clothing. That gown at 1:05, and the glittery bodice at 2:20 . . . Why shouldn't I dress like that? (What's that you say? Because either would look pretty bizarre in the grocery store or my desk at work?)

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 am

I hope DITHOTbaba can get back online with us soon, and thanks Lizbaba for carrying on. :bouquet:

I saw the films first and so I think I prefer them to the book only because the chemistry between Nick and Nora was so well portrayed by Powell and Loy and you get such a feel for the time period from the films.

I have to say that as I read the book there were places in the dialogue that were identical to the lines spoken in the film; which I thought was great because it shows that the filmmakers was greatly influenced by the book. I did like Hammett's strong descriptions of the characters in the book, it made it easy to visualize them. I also so wish Hammett had done more Thin Man books.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Thin Man Question #16 ~ The Movie vs. The Book

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 pm

I liked her clothes too, fansmom. That was a great scene at 2:20. Obviously, it was not from the first Thin Man.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

I enjoyed the book so very much - but must confess that the movie made it so much easier to follow all the characters. The banter between Nick and Nora was so much fun both in the book and in the movie. Agree - the casting was great.

WM63

Unread postby WM63 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I have not seen the movie yet, or any of the TV series episodes. I plan to though.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:32 pm

I liked the movie for the same reasons you all have mentioned. The characters really came to life and it was definitely easier to follow. I kept hearing Myrna Loy and William Powell in my head as I read.

fansmom, I think you should start a fashion trend!! :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I liked the movie for the same reasons you all have mentioned. The characters really came to life and it was definitely easier to follow. I kept hearing Myrna Loy and William Powell in my head as I read.

fansmom, I think you should start a fashion trend!! :grin:
Ah, only if I magically acquire the figure for it! :sigh:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Her dresses were definitely of the slinky variety. :grin:

Return to “The Thin Man”