The Thin Man Question #11 ~ Other Hammett Books

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Thin Man Question #11 ~ Other Hammett Books

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Have you read any other books by Hammett? If so, which ones? How would you compare them to The Thin Man?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: The Thin Man Question #11 ~ Other Hammett Books

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I have read the Maltese Falcon, when our local library was giving away copies for the Big Read. I found it similar to the Thin Man in its confusing mix of characters and twists of plot. I did like the Thin Man better because Nick and Nora gave me an anchor to follow along with.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 pm

I recently read The Big Knockover, which is a collection of stories and short novels by Hammett. It includes "Tulip", which is his unfinished novel, and is quite different from his regular hard-boiled stuff. While I get deeply engrossed while reading most of his stories, somehow they don't stay with me as coherent wholes. Flashes of characters remain, but a lot of plot vanishes, leaving me with a strong scent of an era, but not quite a story.
Hellman wrote the intro to the collection, and that was a nice inside look at their lives.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 pm

I read at least three of his other books decades ago: The Dain Curse, Red Harvest and "probably" The Maltese Falcon. My father was a great fan of Hammett and I think I followed his advice about which to read. I also remember reading most of one book standing in a bookstore and then getting scolded by the owner.

Now, I remember liking the books a lot, and going from one to the next quickly because I wanted more, and I also know I was able to read and follow along fast, as this is obviously the strategy of the customer who reads the merchandise "pre-purchase".

So I have to say The Thin Man honestly surprised me. I found it necessary to go at the dialogue carefully, getting easily lost if I didn't concentrate. This means I am left with either deciding that my brain has already seen better days or that the books I read now have a different pace to them. Liz, you mentioned that your boss called Hammett 19th century and at least The Thin Man has that feel, that long breath if you will: longer sentences, somewhat more passive in its description of action. The other thing is just maybe those other books were tighter, more organized. Now, if a book doesn't grab me I will stop and not feel at all bad about abandoning it, so something must have kept me with Hammett. Something got me from one to two to three.

Poor lost memory bank.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 am

Well, this is my first Hammett book. So I cannot compare.

But back to the 19th Century authors....When my boss was comparing Hammett to authors of that time, Henry James' name came up. I remember liking Henry James, but that was so long ago, and I don't remember why. Interestingly, if one can believe certain things in The Paris Wife (a novel about Hadley Hemingway), Hemingway repeatedly criticized Hadley for her penchant for James.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm a little ashamed to say that this is my first Hammett book; but having read this one I know I'll have to read The Dain Curse and The Maltese Falcon now.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I must say that I am also tempted to read The Maltese Falcon just for comparison.

I plan to see the rest of the The Thin Man series too.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 pm

The Thin Man was my first read by Hammett - but just finished The Maltese Falcon. To me the Thin Man was lighter and with more humor because of Nick and Nora being so likeable. Sam Spade in the Maltese Falcon was a rougher sort of character -(ala Spandau) except Spade was a ladies man compaired to Spandau longing for reconciliation with his wife.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 pm

I had a feeling that it was more serious.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:29 pm

I can't say that I have read any of his others but have enjoyed the movies.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

winona

Unread postby winona » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Movie? With out a doubt Maltese Falcon. Mom and Grandmom would never miss it!
Because love has your face and body .....and your hands are tender and your mouth is sweet-and God has made no other eyes like yours. Walter Benton

Return to “The Thin Man”