The Thin Man Question #6 - The Men

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Thin Man Question #6 - The Men

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Buster wrote:
Gilbert is so weird, we're not sure if he did it or just wants to date his sister.
:rotflmao:
I actually think that part of Gilbert's "weirdness" was designed to make him seem like what we consider a geek these days - very brainy with "peculiar" social skills. He's his father's son - written in part to confirm the "intelligence" that runs in the family, perhaps?

Good catch, Buster. This hadn't even occurred to me. But I think it might be right on the mark.

I think Hammett drew some pretty interesting & whacky characters, even though most of them were unlikable. They were colorful and made for a good story.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Boo, you should write a book!

Thanks DITHOTbaba, I think I passed that gene to my daughter she's the real writer in the family. :biggrin:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am

Buster wrote:
Gilbert is so weird, we're not sure if he did it or just wants to date his sister.
:rotflmao:
I actually think that part of Gilbert's "weirdness" was designed to make him seem like what we consider a geek these days - very brainy with "peculiar" social skills. He's his father's son - written in part to confirm the "intelligence" that runs in the family, perhaps?
I, too, like Morelli - a nice take on the gangster with a heart of gold.

Hey Buster.... :highfive:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 pm

I thought the women were described better than the men, perhaps because we were seeing them through Nick's eyes.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 am

Interesting comment, fansmom. I'm always amazed at what the Noodlemantras bring up. Things I just wasn't aware of. And then I have an aha moment. :-O I think you are spot on......except in the case of Gilbert.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Thin Man”