The Thin Man Question #3 ~ Nora Charles

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: The Thin Man Question #3 ~ Nora Charles

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Very interesting indeed, gemini! :cool:

FAN, I caught the paragraph about the death of Nora's father but not the one about Nick's age. :cool:

Fairy, I'm glad you were able to read the book and join us! Please don't be worried, your posts are very much appreciated.

If Nora was 19 when she married Nick then she has had a chance to catch up, as it were, and be able to hold her own with the verbal sparring. Pehaps at 19 she wasn't as quick and witty as we see her now but life with Nick for someone that young and intelligent would have taught her a thing or two. He would have been 34 when she was 19 so something caught his heart.

Does anyone find it interesting that Nora is creating more discussion than Nick? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 am

I think the age gap in the book isn't reflected in the movies that we are more familiar with, that's why it strikes us so funny.

William Powell and Myrna Loy are actually 13 years apart in age (if Wikipedia is to be believed) and Nick and Nora are 15 years apart. But Myrna played a more mature, sophisticated Nora, so I don't think the age difference was noticed. Plus they did some 14/15 films together, so I think people began to see them as a real couple and accepted the idea.

Getting back to the Nora character in the book, she had to take control of her father's businesses at 19, so I suppose that made her more mature for her years. And it was good to have an older man around to help with that; one that was familiar with business, work and self employment. He could handle the workers better than a 19-year-old wealthy born woman.

But she does have a playful, childish side, which makes for a good partnership with a middle-aged man who was getting burned out. I think they make a good pair. It's difficult to talk about one without mentioning the other because they compliment each other so well. :ok:

But considering the age difference of the two characters, it will be interesting to see who is chosen to play Nora in the new movie. :perplexed:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 am

The word charming keeps coming up, and I think that is how I saw her. I think the rest of you have covered the subject rather well!

Her coddling of Mimi annoyed me, but then maybe that was just because Mimi was so annoying. I couldn't figure out why Nora felt so kindly to someone close to her own age who was acting so foolishly. For me, that didn't seem in character for Nora.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 pm

nebraska wrote:The word charming keeps coming up, and I think that is how I saw her. I think the rest of you have covered the subject rather well!

Her coddling of Mimi annoyed me, but then maybe that was just because Mimi was so annoying. I couldn't figure out why Nora felt so kindly to someone close to her own age who was acting so foolishly. For me, that didn't seem in character for Nora.

Hi Nebraska, actually after some consideration I began to see to that Nora's care for Dorothy was exactly what a woman like Nora who obviously had enjoyed a successful relationship with her own father (you can deduce this by how well she holds her own with Nick); and who has such a mature relationship with her husband would naturally feel a bit nurturing toward a young woman of about her own age who unlike her has not learned how to navigate the world of men (and has daddy issues too boot) and who has a mother who so obviously doesn't love her and doesn't protect her.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Since I had totally missed Nora's age on first reading I thought Nora was feeling motherly towards Dorothy. Now I see her behavior as more sisterly.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:21 pm

I saw Nora as a spoiled wealthy schooled and overly protected girl. When she did break out from the reins of her family, she was taken by Nicks' exciting life and all the rough people he can into contact with in his line of work. Nick being much older (I missed that too the first time) gave her freedom and a security zone and let her be her own person.

Return to “The Thin Man”