The Thin Man Tidbit #7 - Why was the book so popular?

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: The Thin Man Tidbit #7 - Why was the book so popular?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:45 pm

That really is no help!! The version I searched over on Amazon had different pagination than my copy as well. We will try and keep that in mind for future tidbits!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for coming to the rescue here, DITHOT.

Lots of different copies out there. Not surprising, since it is such an old story. But also, the page reflected in the ad was obviously the original release. And I imagine not too many of us have one of those.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 pm

I downloaded it from e-pub and on my PC reader its page 159. Funny I missed the risqué part and I have the original printing. I must be reading too much modern fare. I just thought it was the references to going to New York to get drunk and the casual drinking that make it banned matierial during that time. LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 am

Theresa wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Good suggestion since there are probably multiple versions of this book in print. It is on the last page of Chapter 25.

Thanks, DITHOT! I'm reading on a Kindle, so I don't have any page numbers at all.

:highfive:

Slightly off topic (and I hope I'm not getting ahead of the discussion too much here), after reading Hammett's bio tidbit while reading the book I couldn't understand the notion that Nick and Nora appeared to be a couple that may not have been monogamous. What I felt while reading the book (I think this was perfectly portrayed in the films) is that what they had was a very grown up relationship. They didn't play games with each other they spoke their minds, for example when Nora found Jorgensen attractive she told Nick so and he wasn't taken aback I read into that he was comfortable in his own skin and he knew he could trust his wife and the same was true of Nora (think of all Nick's encounters with Mimi/Dorothy).

I can't help but think that the maturity of their relationship was what people of the time found so off-putting.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am

Boo, nice segue into our first discussion questionthis morning! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:56 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Boo, nice segue into our first discussion questionthis morning! :lol:

Hey DITHOTbaba, sorry for late come back, that's what I get for posting and running. :biggrin:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 pm

No worries! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Thin Man”