Life Question #28 ~ Final Thoughts

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Life Question #28 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 am

Here we are at the end of another great discussion! As always, thanks Noodlemantras for your wonderful thoughts and insights. :applause: Remember you can still go back at any time to add more thoughts to any question. :cool:

I will take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season! Make merry with your family and friends and best wishes for a happy and peaceful New Year.

Be sure to check back later today for an announcement on our next read! :grin:

Finally...

Is there anything else we haven't covered that you would like to discuss?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #28 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 am

So this is the end is it? thanks DITHOT and Liz for your endeavours as always, the tidbits and the questions. I can't think of anything else myself. I guess I thought there might have been some more harder hitting questions but not sure what :lol:
I'll be interested to see if anyone else comes up with anything else to discuss.
Oh I do remember I think it might be Nebraska talking about words that she was unfamiliar with and needing a glossary I wondered if I could help out with those ? unless she was joking or course :lol:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I can't remember right off hand what some of the confusing terms were, GG, although I think it boiled down to the strain of English you folks speak on that side of the puddle. If I think of something, I'll let you know. Have to check my notes. :biggrin: I think we had some pretty hard hitting discussions at times :freaked: especially when it came down to the part about drug use and addiction.

On page 43 Keith says that there were so many stories and his Grandfather Gus "manged to cover himself in cobwebs and mists." I feel a little that way about Keith's account of his life. Maybe there is as much in what was left out of the book as what was included, kind of like the music thing we discussed earlier. I think I learned as much from Keith's general tone and attitude as any of the words themselves. I would be curious to hear the overall impressions from the rest of the Noodlemantras.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I think he does on occasion tend to be prone to exageration at times about some of the stories, some of which I already knew from other sources and were maybe not quite as colourful, also I think sometimes he may mean something else when he says something a bit like a metaphor I guess. I think he was pretty honest about alot of stuff though and I think in some ways that was brave of him as its left him open to alot of critism. He does as I've said before tend to ramble a bit and was allowed to, I think this was the nature of how the book was written with James Fox miccing him up and then just asking him things and allowing Keith to go off on a tangent at times.

Something else about some parts they didn't quite seem to fit with the Keith I've got to know through other interviews whether print or filmed and what other people have said about him. It was in part hard to reconcile the way Keith may see himself and the way he may be in reality if that makes sense. I think there was alot of bravura and I think that may well be his hiding behind the image the myth of Keith again.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm

nebraska wrote:
I would be curious to hear the overall impressions from the rest of the Noodlemantras.

Me too, nebraska. Personally, I think Keith came off well, a bit defensive at times, brutally honest at others. Some myths were dispelled and some live on and some we will never see behind. It was certainly a trip in the way back machine for me which I thouroughly enjoyed! I thought it was very well done and I'm very glad I read it and had a chance to discuss it with you all! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 pm

I haven't been able to join in with all the discussions, but have very much enjoyed commenting here and there and following the views of those more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to Keith and The Stones. Another excellent discussion ladies! :biggrin:

I felt the book was a raw and honest account of Keith's life and times thus far. He comes across to me as being down to earth, modest and humorous. Above all, I'd say he is a true musician and someone with a quiet inner confidence: I like his "this is who I am, take it or leave it" attitude. I found some parts of the book rather laboured, and was quite surprised by some of the back biting between him and Mick.On the other hand, I felt the account of his early life was exceptionally vivid and a really interesting read.

Unlike many celebrity biographies, this was very well received by the critics, and deservedly so. Perhaps the key is that unlike so many so-called "celebs", Keith really has walked the walk and lived a very edgy, interesting life. I would hope that any young people reading the book would take on board his comments about the realities of drug addiction though.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. And I found Keith somewhat charming. As I said in another thread, he came off much better than the image I had of him prior to reading the book. He seems down to earth. And I like that. Although a very gifted musician, he’s got weaknesses just like the rest of us. And I am happy for him that his life has turned out as well as it has.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 pm

I enjoyed the book and the discussions. Thanks, ladies! :applause2:

I loved reading the historical bits of his youth and the early days. I love how they added the history of the times in the UK after the war and beyond. It's much easier, I think, to understand a person when you understand the times and circumstances in which they live.

I also loved the many music lessons, both theory and history. He is a wealth of knowledge and his descriptions really made me re-listen to songs I thought I already knew. Again, knowing his influences and how he looks at musicians/bands really helps to get to know the person.

I wasn't really interested in all the drugs and women parts, but that did play a significant role in his life and couldn't be left out. Most of the celeb bios focus on that stuff to sell copies, but I really liked the way Life told a complete story and didn't just dwell on the gossipy stuff.

Thanks for suggesting the book and encouraging us to read it! I may not have otherwise.
Looking forward to the next discussion. :ok:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:32 am

I find it very refreshing to hear the positive thoughts on the book its so nice after having to read all the snarky comments from people who proclaim them selves to be Stones fans elsewhere. The book seemed to become a catalyst to hating Keith more than they already did. Not everyone, some people loved it, liked it etc but it seemed to divide people horribley, they even suggested that Mick was so mad at Keith they would never play together again and the writing of the book would be the end of the band. :perplexed:

JL I'm surprised you didn't realise about the back biting between Keith and Mick during the 80's it was very public at the time although I don't know half of what they said as I didn't see or buy newspapers at the time but I knew they were in crisis.

Next year is the Stones 50th Anniversary, it could be an interesting year. They have not played together for 5 years there is much debate as to whether they can or even want to. Keith's health is the major concern as many feel he didn't play well on the last tour even before his accident. He does suffer from a form of arthritis in the hands and has very large hebredean nodes which presumably make playing difficult but then he isn't in his 20's anymore anyway so why should people expect any of them to play that way :lol:
Guess we have to see what the year brings.

As you know I approached the discussion with a little trepidation, but thank you ladies again for the discussion and not being to harsh on Keith :bouquet:

Just want to add this was a really interesting book discussion and the tidbits were quite different from usual becasue of the music, seemed to add a different dimension :ok:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 am

Liz wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the book. And I found Keith somewhat charming. As I said in another thread, he came off much better than the image I had of him prior to reading the book. He seems down to earth. And I like that. Although a very gifted musician, he’s got weaknesses just like the rest of us. And I am happy for him that his life has turned out as well as it has.

Yeah, I'd echo Liz. If there's one thing I'll take away it's the music. The inner guts of it, whether we're talking about how many strings, how one writes a song or who played on what. You know how every book leaves an image in your brain, that which pops up when someone mentions it or you see a reference? So for me when I recall Life, I'm standing on the side of some studio watching guys get ready, tuning stuff, turning on amps. That's the feel he created.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 am

fireflydances wrote:
Liz wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the book. And I found Keith somewhat charming. As I said in another thread, he came off much better than the image I had of him prior to reading the book. He seems down to earth. And I like that. Although a very gifted musician, he’s got weaknesses just like the rest of us. And I am happy for him that his life has turned out as well as it has.

Yeah, I'd echo Liz. If there's one thing I'll take away it's the music. The inner guts of it, whether we're talking about how many strings, how one writes a song or who played on what. You know how every book leaves an image in your brain, that which pops up when someone mentions it or you see a reference? So for me when I recall Life, I'm standing on the side of some studio watching guys get ready, tuning stuff, turning on amps. That's the feel he created.

I'll echo Liz, too! I enjoyed the book and was thoroughly charmed by Keith. Was not expecting to be ...
Of course, I was also charmed by Russell Brand in his "My Booky Wook."
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 pm

I think its lovely that people are charmed by him because he has always seemed like a very charming man. People who have met him have always said so, and how sweet, kind and generous he is. In the hours of interviews I've watched I think that also comes through even way back.

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Not everyone, some people loved it, liked it etc but it seemed to divide people horribley, they even suggested that Mick was so mad at Keith they would never play together again and the writing of the book would be the end of the band. :perplexed:

When I was in Scotland this fall I saw a short BBC interview with Mick. He was very negative on the prospect of working with the Stones again. He was asked outright about the future of the Stones and he implied that things said and written had made that difficult. I hope they can get past this and mount one last tour.

For me the book showed the interdependency that Mick and Keith have. Even more, it showed how music and the band kept Keith alive and inspired. He's quite amazing and charming, certainly talented and very very loyal, but I'm not sure I like him.
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 pm

I hope they can survive their differences and tour again as well. They have spent the majority of their lives together creating amazing music.

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

FANtasticJD wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Not everyone, some people loved it, liked it etc but it seemed to divide people horribley, they even suggested that Mick was so mad at Keith they would never play together again and the writing of the book would be the end of the band. :perplexed:

When I was in Scotland this fall I saw a short BBC interview with Mick. He was very negative on the prospect of working with the Stones again. He was asked outright about the future of the Stones and he implied that things said and written had made that difficult. I hope they can get past this and mount one last tour.

For me the book showed the interdependency that Mick and Keith have. Even more, it showed how music and the band kept Keith alive and inspired. He's quite amazing and charming, certainly talented and very very loyal, but I'm not sure I like him.

If it was the same one I saw he was just his usual evasive self, he would never say one way or the other unless he was announcing it and that wasn't the time. He and Keith have met and talked about the book before and have met just that same week as the interview for a band meeting. The band have been also getting together this last week for some sessions so as I say we will see what we will see. After all this time I don't think a few things said in a book will split them.
If anyone wishes to see the interview then its here
he is asked about the Stones at about 2.15 I think.

Return to “Life”