Life Question #27~ Keith & Johnny

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Cyn

Re: Life Question #27~ Keith & Johnny

Unread postby Cyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Thanks Cyn, as I say I didn't know where the reference came from I know it was old and what it referred to. :ok: I just felt Johnny could have come up with something more original, but thats just me.

I think that after Robin said it in his show, which was a huge hit on Broadway at the time, by the way, it started spreading like wildfire to the point that no one remembered where it had originated from, like most cliches and famous quotes. So Johnny was just picking up on that and honoring it as a very fitting way to describe his friend. I thought it was perfect that he said it then, just before presenting the Rock Immortal award to someone who truly deserved it, mainly FOR staying alive and staying musically active through all kinds of things that could easily have put an end to that many times over the past almost 50 years.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Cyn wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Thanks Cyn, as I say I didn't know where the reference came from I know it was old and what it referred to. :ok: I just felt Johnny could have come up with something more original, but thats just me.

I think that after Robin said it in his show, which was a huge hit on Broadway at the time, by the way, it started spreading like wildfire to the point that no one remembered where it had originated from, like most cliches and famous quotes. So Johnny was just picking up on that and honoring it as a very fitting way to describe his friend. I thought it was perfect that he said it then, just before presenting the Rock Immortal award to someone who truly deserved it, mainly FOR staying alive and staying musically active through all kinds of things that could easily have put an end to that many times over the past almost 50 years.

Thats true, but its the kind of thing someone who was a journalist or not a close friend would say to my mind anyway. Hey I know I'm making way too much of it and as I say I more or less said the same as you in one of my previous posts its just something I guess that kind of bugged me.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Cyn wrote:

Thats true, but its the kind of thing someone who was a journalist or not a close friend would say to my mind anyway. Hey I know I'm making way too much of it and as I say I more or less said the same as you in one of my previous posts its just something I guess that kind of bugged me.

I think perhaps it is American humor, GG.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 pm

nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Cyn wrote:

I think perhaps it is American humor, GG.

Possibley anyway I looked up the Robin Williams quote its not quite what I think people think it is
“I believe that once we are all gone, Keith Richards will still be here...with 5 cockroaches saying 'you know I smoked your uncle, did you know that?'”

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Possibley anyway I looked up the Robin Williams quote its not quite what I think people think it is
“I believe that once we are all gone, Keith Richards will still be here...with 5 cockroaches saying 'you know I smoked your uncle, did you know that?'”

Are you sure that was from the Broadway show that I referred to? That might have been what he said in later performances or on a talk show or something, but I remember it as him saying something like 'When the world ends from nuclear war or whatever, the only things that will survive it will be cockroaches and Keith Richards..' --almost exactly what Johnny said in the Scream Awards.
If I had time to watch all 10 parts of it on youtube here-
just to hear him say it again and exactly how he said it, I would.
Last edited by Cyn on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm

This is unbelievable--I just randomly clicked on one of those links of RW's show--#4 out of 10--and there it was in the first 2 minutes! And that wasn't the only joke he told about Keith--the entire first 2 minutes are about him--after the first 20 seconds, that is (so disregard my last post :lol: )--

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 am

Yeah someone transcribed the show so yes it was right as you will see from the clip.
Btw I didn't find any of Robins clip at all funny. I don't like stand up comedy on the whole as they tend to always make fun of someone. I like Robin as an actor and I find his serious roles much more to my taste. I'm sure Keith takes it in his stride he even suggested the last time he was on Jimmy Fallon when he mentioned cockroaches that it would be his lunch. But its all part of that baggage he has to carry around and he knows it but I think he also feels enough already.

Btw when was the Robin Williams show on Broadway?

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 am

Cyn wrote:I think Johnny chose Keith as a model for CJS because genius minds have that singularly unique way of working that makes them geniuses to begin with, and it was genius to base most of, or the premise of, his pirate character on Keith Richards. It just worked, and somehow Johnny knew it would. And he was right. But remember, he also based CJS on Pepe Le Pew too. :biglaugh:
I guess the bandanna and hair thingies and way of speaking and walking and general all-around rebel attitude that made up Keith's persona was what struck Johnny as the perfect source to draw from to create his beloved CJS.
I thought Keef did a great job as Teague in both movies, and neither seemed forced or contrived to me to get him in the movie somehow. I thought it was very cool when the guy had the gun on Jack and was about to shoot him--(and this was Jack Sparrow...CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow....who had gotten out of all kinds of dangerous, deadly situations and here he was finally, not able to get out of one on his own)--and his dad came to the rescue in the nick of time. Ha, I just accidentally mentioned an old movie of Johnny's there! :lol:

As for the cockroaches comment, the only other time I had heard that was years ago when Robin Williams said it in his one-man Broadway show, which was all stand-up comedy. I thought he was the one that had created it to begin with but I don't know that for sure. So when Johnny said it at the Scream awards, it immediately reminded me of back when Robin Williams had said it in his show. I think by now Keith is not only so used to hearing stuff like that but probably agrees with it. :cool:
And now this is reminding me of something I heard just the other day on some show--was it The View??? I think it was...where a male guest said something like: if anyone else was infused with or drank Keith Richards' blood it would kill them instantly, but he lives just fine and dandy with it continually running through his system. Those kind of jokes have been around for years about Keith, and it doesn't take away from his talent or fame and fortune or icon-status at all. In fact, it enhances it.

I think Johnny uses bits and pieces of different characters as inspiration for the parts he plays, and puts them together to make a unique whole ( I still want to know who he was channelling in 'Life's Too Short'). Regarding Keith, who was it who once said 'Keith can't be killed by normal methods!'

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:21 am

In a way its a shame really, Keith has said he wanted to write his story and to show the person behind the myth and dispel a few myths too. Yet he can't becasue even though he does to some extent in the book people still think he is a figure of fun. I know he laughs along most of the time but it can't really be much fun when people come out with those remarks. And most people who make the remarks are laughing at him, not with him. Whatever people may think or say he is only human. But I guess thats celebrity for you.

Sorry DITHOT and LIz gone really rather far off the original topic.

Whatever Johnny and Keith's relationship is founded on its certainly respect for each other, on Johnny's side I think there is still a lot of awe you can see that in the extras on the AWE DVD. I wonder how easy that makes their relationship though is Johnny forever pinching himself :lol:
The last interview they did together which was released to coincide with OST promotion Johnny let Keith do most of the talking but again seemed to be very respectful of Keith. Or maybe Johnny was just whacked from filming :lol:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Yeah someone transcribed the show so yes it was right as you will see from the clip.
Btw I didn't find any of Robins clip at all funny. I don't like stand up comedy on the whole as they tend to always make fun of someone. I like Robin as an actor and I find his serious roles much more to my taste. I'm sure Keith takes it in his stride he even suggested the last time he was on Jimmy Fallon when he mentioned cockroaches that it would be his lunch. But its all part of that baggage he has to carry around and he knows it but I think he also feels enough already.

I guess I can see your viewpoint, because of your devotion to Keith. You must feel similar to how I feel about Ricky G's horrid treatment of Johnny at the Golden Globes, which some people find enormously funny and Johnny seems to have taken with good grace. Humor can be a very individual matter.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 am

nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Yeah someone transcribed the show so yes it was right as you will see from the clip.

I guess I can see your viewpoint, because of your devotion to Keith. You must feel similar to how I feel about Ricky G's horrid treatment of Johnny at the Golden Globes, which some people find enormously funny and Johnny seems to have taken with good grace. Humor can be a very individual matter.

Yes and I also didn't like that either :ok:

redrascal1

Unread postby redrascal1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:

I guess I can see your viewpoint, because of your devotion to Keith. You must feel similar to how I feel aboutRicky G's horrid treatment of Johnny at the Golden Globes, which some people find enormously funny and Johnny seems to have taken with good grace. Humor can be a very individual matter.

Neither did I but they took the :censored: :censored: out of him on the Fast Show as well, and he didn't seem to mind that either.
Or at least he acted as if he didn't mind. Maybe it's Johnny's belief that the best way to deal with ridicule is to laugh at yourself. I've tried it myself and it works but inside it still hurts. I'm British and I often wish our humour wasn't always so cruel.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 am

redrascal1 wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I guess I can see your viewpoint, because of your devotion to Keith. You must feel similar to how I feel aboutRicky G's horrid treatment of Johnny at the Golden Globes, which some people find enormously funny and Johnny seems to have taken with good grace. Humor can be a very individual matter.

Neither did I but they took the :censored: :censored: out of him on the Fast Show as well, and he didn't seem to mind that either.
Or at least he acted as if he didn't mind. Maybe it's Johnny's belief that the best way to deal with ridicule is to laugh at yourself. I've tried it myself and it works but inside it still hurts. I'm British and I often wish our humour wasn't always so cruel.

Strange I didn't have a problem with the skit on the Fast Show thats not quite the same thing after all he was involved in the joke not the butt of it.

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:In a way its a shame really, Keith has said he wanted to write his story and to show the person behind the myth and dispel a few myths too. Yet he can't becasue even though he does to some extent in the book people still think he is a figure of fun. I know he laughs along most of the time but it can't really be much fun when people come out with those remarks. And most people who make the remarks are laughing at him, not with him. Whatever people may think or say he is only human. But I guess thats celebrity for you.

Yes, exactly. Any public figure is open to criticism, snide remarks, jokes, etc., along with all the praise and accolades and awards and tons of money they make. And if that's the worse thing they can think to say about him, it's not that bad, I don't think. I've heard much worse said about others.
And he did do what he wanted, which was to write his story and show the person behind the myth, etc. So at least he got that accomplished while still here on this earth.

Gilbert's Girl wrote: Sorry DITHOT and LIz gone really rather far off the original topic.

Ditto. :blush:

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Btw when was the Robin Williams show on Broadway?

2002, according to various sites like IMdB, amazon, etc. I just remember seeing it on HBO probably around 2003 or so. It's called 'Robin Williams: Live on Broadway' (2002).

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I guess I can see your viewpoint, because of your devotion to Keith. You must feel similar to how I feel about Ricky G's horrid treatment of Johnny at the Golden Globes, which some people find enormously funny and Johnny seems to have taken with good grace. Humor can be a very individual matter.

I didn't either, even though I love RG. But as with all the people I truly admire and love, I stick with them through times when I might not agree with what they're saying or doing. I don't 'throw the baby out with the bathwater', so to speak, and for me, there's too much to love and admire and enjoy about RG to start instantly hating him for what he said at the Globes about my favorite guy in the world. I was so glad when Johnny showed that he apparently felt the same way, and he was the butt of the joke! Some people are just too cool and brilliant and original to dismiss, no matter if they royally screw up now and then....like Keith, for example. ;-)

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok thanks for the Broadway info its just I read something that was written in about 2007 that said the person had heard it about 15 years before guess they were wrong or Robin was not the first person, which I doubt as he I assume would use his own original material. Anyway thanks again for that.
Oh btw I've never, ever liked RG, not since I first saw him in the Office..

Return to “Life”