Life Question #26 - Hard Copy or Audiobook

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #26 - Hard Copy or Audiobook

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm

fireflydances wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Does that mean you don't watch Johnny's movies more than once?

Quite a few! I do watch Libertine a bit, maybe 2-3 times a year, and Benny and Joon, and my kids long ago assured that I see all of the Pirates, Gilbert Grape and Edward Scissorhands repeatedly. I believe you can oversee a thing, so that you dull that initial wonderful experience. And that's what I don't want to affect, don't want to lose the sense of wonder, that stimulus to thought. I saw Public Enemies in the theater twice, bought it and waited a year to see it again. And after all that time: it was fabulous, one of his best characterizations. Which I didn't see in the theater, but only at home. I do think about them, replay scenes in my head or sometimes it's just a series of separate images. I read about his films alot too. Might be easier to understand all this GG if I explain that I don't own any movies except for his (not counting the kids' pile). The only form of media that I indulge in repeatedly and with absolutely no restraint is music. And then my kids often rebel as I can listen to a CD every day for months at a stretch. I get "No, no more Beefheart, please please Ma!" But music is different. Music is the environment you're in, what's surrounding you, what you walk through if you will.

You know, people are different. What works for one doesn't work for another. And that is cool, no? :bigwink:

Absolutley.
Thanks for explaining, thats interesting :ok: I have lsot of films not all Johnny and tv series too but I have a real love of films as well as music and I have lots of the Stones DVD's too and I do watch them alot.
I know what you mean though about overseeing things. I have watched Johnny's movies so much I haven't done so for ages and I overdid Jump Street :lol:

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:38 pm

I got the audio version and had only listened to the first bit when I realized that, while I enjoyed it, it was too slow for me AND that I needed to SEE the words on the "page" to truly recall them ... so I got it (instantly) for my Kindle (aka "infernal machine" :lol: ).
Was much happier reading it that way!
btw: I loved listening to Shantaram as an audio book. The reader has a great accent!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:28 pm

bluebird wrote:I got the audio version and had only listened to the first bit when I realized that, while I enjoyed it, it was too slow for me AND that I needed to SEE the words on the "page" to truly recall them ... so I got it (instantly) for my Kindle (aka "infernal machine" :lol: ).
btw: I loved listening to Shantaram as an audio book. The reader has a great accent!

Like I think I said (nope, actually just thought it and didn't type it), it depends on the audiobook. Some work, some don't. I too noted while I was listening to it, that Life was read particularly slowly. I was thinking to myself, good thing I read it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Liz wrote:
bluebird wrote:I got the audio version and had only listened to the first bit when I realized that, while I enjoyed it, it was too slow for me AND that I needed to SEE the words on the "page" to truly recall them ... so I got it (instantly) for my Kindle (aka "infernal machine" :lol: ).

Like I think I said (nope, actually just thought it and didn't type it), it depends on the audiobook. Some work, some don't. I too noted while I was listening to it, that Life was read particularly slowly. I was thinking to myself, good thing I read it.

Maybe because they are not used to reading for an audio book. I think great audio books are often read by people that have probably done theatre or read them before and so know how to make it sound good.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Just have the audio version, and haven't even gotten all the way through it yet. I loved listening to Johnny's portion, if he had read the whole thing I'm sure I would have heard it all by now. No offense to the other fellow, but Johnny has a way of making those words come alive, and I just listen to it for what it is, not worried about any particular pace of delivery. Where as when the second person takes over, I can only listen to so much at a time.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 pm

I read the hard copy; it was a birthday gift from a friend before ONBC chose it. I love actual books, and have far too many -- two rooms in my house with floor to ceiling bookshelves as well as random stacks.

I've listened to several audio books while doing mindless things like painting a room or sewing, and I remember those very well. But listening while drivingv-- I think I'm paying attention, but whole stretches of narrative never make it to short term memory. Would have liked to hear Johnny and Keith, though.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I read half on kindle and listened to the rest while doing chores etc. It was ok. Some parts were slow paced, but I didn't mind. I didn't feel the need to read every word so it worked out for me.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Now that I have read the book I will go back and listen to parts of the audio version just for the pleasure of hearing the voices knowing I don't have to concentrate on the content, just go with the flow. Reading books on tape has always been a dream of mine, have no idea if I would be any good at it! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I read the hardback version of Life - I passed it on to a friend at work and she loved it also. :biggrin:

I've rarely tackled an audiobook - I did try The Picture of Dorian Gray read by the lovely Greg Wise. What I dislike about audiobooks is trying to find one's place again on the CD's if you don't have time to listen to whole chapters at a time!

I love films and I do watch certain favourites repeatedly. I think some films actually improve with repeat viewings, and some films have such a rich tapestry, either in terms of superb performances or wonderful art direction and cinematography etc., meaning I can always see something new in them each time. I've no idea how many times I've seen The Libertine or the various Pirates' but it would be a lot! I do agree though, that one can sort of burn oneself out by watching a film too much.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Return to “Life”