Life Question #26 - Hard Copy or Audiobook

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Question #26 - Hard Copy or Audiobook

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Did you read Life or listen to it or both or a combo? If you listened to it or any portion of it, what is your opinion of it as an audiotape?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #26 - Hard Copy or Audiobook

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I read the book, had had it on pre order well before it came out and long before we knew of Johnny's involvement with the audio book.
I have to say though after hearing Johnny read that first chapter I was glad I didn't get the audio book as it was at least to my ears a parody of Keith I'm afriad. I know he doesn't read the rest of it in that manner but it put me off. If Keith had read the whole thing I might have been more interested, but I really wanted to hear him in my head when I read his words anyway.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I have a hard copy. I have never been much into audio books, I like to have the feeling of a "real" book in my hands. However, after I finished reading the book I briefly considered getting the audio book to listen to, but couldn't find a used copy I thought was worth the price for me. Some times written words mean something different if we can hear the voice inflections and such.

GG, where did you hear Johnny read chapter 1? Is it here on the Zone?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm

I mostly read the the book. One of the chapters in the latter half of the book I listened to only. I listened to about 3 chapters total, but they were all in the latter half. I really enjoyed listening to Keith read. I thought that was very cool. As much as I love to hear Johnny's voice, I agree with you GG. I think it would have been better if Keith had read the entire thing. I found it rather distracting that there were three different readers. And Johnny sounded very Hunter at times.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Liz wrote:I mostly read the the book. One of the chapters in the latter half of the book I listened to only. I listened to about 3 chapters total, but they were all in the latter half. I really enjoyed listening to Keith read. I thought that was very cool. As much as I love to hear Johnny's voice, I agree with you GG. I think it would have been better if Keith had read the entire thing. I found it rather distracting that there were three different readers. And Johnny sounded very Hunter at times.

Yeah I think also I felt that it would be quite alien to listen to Johnny as himself as an American reading something that was very English if that makes sense.

Nebraska I can't remember where I was able to hear it I think there was a link to it here on the zone but it wasn't a permanant one. I think it came from the publisher of the audio books web site.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Hard copy for me although I do have an audio copy. I just have a hard time with audio books, I'm too much of a multitasker and I get distracted and then realize I have missed too much. I even tried listening on a car trip but my just wanders off...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 pm

:noodlemantra: Hard back for me. I got it at Borders during their closeout sale. No paperback copies were left.
I've never tried to listen to an audio book. Not sure I could pay attention that long.
I did like looking at the pics and imagine Keith speaking the words I was reading.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 pm

A former co-worker of mine devoured audio books on car trips and such. She is the only person I have ever known who enjoyed the audio books so much, but she couldn't accumulate enough of them. I guess I never tried it, to be honest.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 pm

I read a hard copy from the library (and I had to return it). My daughter has the audio version and said she found Johnny's voice very distracting. She'd think, "Mmm, Johnny . . ." and her mind would drift away.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:25 am

I know some people aren't into audiobooks. I agree with DITHOT that it is hard to concentrate. I need to be doing something mindless when I'm listening....driving is one. I guess driving shouldn't be mindless. But it is not like answering emails or paying bills. Doing housework, exercising or making dinner is another time that I like to listen to audiobooks. I hate doing housework without some sort of distraction from what I'm doing. I prefer actually reading ONBC selections, though, because I can make notes. Tidbits are totally missed when listening. I know, because I listened to one ONBC book (instead of reading it), and I swore I'd never do that again. And even though I had the book to refer to, it just wasn't the same. I think I get into a book more if I actually read it.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:08 am

Liz wrote:I know some people aren't into audiobooks. I agree with DITHOT that it is hard to concentrate. I need to be doing something mindless when I'm listening....driving is one. I guess driving shouldn't be mindless. But it is not like answering emails or paying bills. Doing housework, exercising or making dinner is another time that I like to listen to audiobooks. I hate doing housework without some sort of distraction from what I'm doing. I prefer actually reading ONBC selections, though, because I can make notes. Tidbits are totally missed when listening. I know, because I listened to one ONBC book (instead of reading it), and I swore I'd never do that again. And even though I had the book to refer to, it just wasn't the same. I think I get into a book more if I actually read it.

I think you are probably right. The only audio books I've listened to are actually plays which are acted out so are totally different and I do have a copy of Winnie The Pooh which is on audio book and was read really well by Alan Bennett and that wasn't distracting but then I was making the effort to listen and he wasn't just reading it. The kids used to listen to audiobook on long car journeys.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 am

I read it first, too far before our discussion started to have paid attention in the way I would have liked to, so I got the audio book. It was my first foray into that format, and initially I found it quite distracting - not Johnny's accent or style of reading, but just the overall tempo. I tend to read fast, and also go back frequently to re-read passages, so in some ways an audio book is just too linear.

I listened mostly in the car, mainly on longer jaunts, and enjoyed it. Nothing is going to take the place of a book, though.

Did anyone read it on one of those infernal machines? (I'll probably end up changing my mind about e-readers, but for now, I'm both weirded out and slightly offended by them.)

By the way, I could listen to Johnny read cereal boxes and be fine with it, so that may have colored my opinion a bit. ;)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 am

I got the audio book early in the Spring and I loved it. I bought the hardback, fully intending to read it before our conversations, but because of moving, simply never got around to it. I am the type that rarely re-reads, that rarely sees a movie another time -- the words or the images come back too readily and, frankly, I get bored.

That said, my thinking on books heard/books read in general. My first preference will always be the paper page, reading word by word, underlining or putting a note next to something. I love the feel of the paper, the weight of a book in a pocket or bag. I love the act of curling into a chair and disappearing into a book. I even love the smell of them.

But I get deeply into books read also. Some of my most favorite experiences are of being camping, or with nothing but battery power in the midst of some winter storm. The candles are wavering, or the campfire is crackling quietly -- we are surrounded by the black of the night--and the voice of the narrator becomes the focus. Like the ancient days. It's an extremely powerful thing; you become connected to generations before you. All those storytellers.

And I think Johnny is a wonderful narrator (no kidding!). I don't find him distracting, but simply I don't want him to stop. I'd like him to narrate my days, my trips to the market, cleaning the house. Yeah, a voice that makes magic out of the smallest thing. So I was fustrated by the other reader. As he was reading, I'd find myself thinking "why, JD wouldn't have used that accent or that intonation". Poor man, he was really quite good.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:04 am

Does that mean you don't watch Johnny's movies more than once?

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:48 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Does that mean you don't watch Johnny's movies more than once?

Quite a few! I do watch Libertine a bit, maybe 2-3 times a year, and Benny and Joon, and my kids long ago assured that I see all of the Pirates, Gilbert Grape and Edward Scissorhands repeatedly. I believe you can oversee a thing, so that you dull that initial wonderful experience. And that's what I don't want to affect, don't want to lose the sense of wonder, that stimulus to thought. I saw Public Enemies in the theater twice, bought it and waited a year to see it again. And after all that time: it was fabulous, one of his best characterizations. Which I didn't see in the theater, but only at home. I do think about them, replay scenes in my head or sometimes it's just a series of separate images. I read about his films alot too. Might be easier to understand all this GG if I explain that I don't own any movies except for his (not counting the kids' pile). The only form of media that I indulge in repeatedly and with absolutely no restraint is music. And then my kids often rebel as I can listen to a CD every day for months at a stretch. I get "No, no more Beefheart, please please Ma!" But music is different. Music is the environment you're in, what's surrounding you, what you walk through if you will.

You know, people are different. What works for one doesn't work for another. And that is cool, no? :bigwink:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “Life”