Life Question #24 - Quotes

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Question #24 - Quotes

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 pm

What's your favorite Keef or other quote?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #24 - Quotes

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Not very good at remembering quotes and I can't think of any that stuck out for me exept the note he wrote about Patti in 2006, so I will say that and the last bit of the book about what his mother said to him when was playing the guitar.

Of course one that he reknowned for saying in concerts just before he does his two songs is pretty good.

" Its good to be here, its good to be anywhere" :ok:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 pm

I have just thumbed through my book and looked at various notes in the margins and passages underlined, and it still comes down to the one on 501: " ... sooner or later the two principals will turn on each other because one of them will be driven crazy by the knowledge that to be at their best they need to perform with the other person and therefore they need that other person to be successful ..." I think it applies to marriage or co-workers or friendships. If you are involved in any kind of relationship at all with another person, in order to be at your best you need for that other person to be doing well, also. You cannot be jealous, you cannot attempt to be superior, you can't want to be the boss or be critical or unkind. And that is not always easy and at times it will drive a person crazy! But even in competition, if your opponent isn't worthy, you don't look good.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Good one Nebraska :ok:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 pm

This is so true, nebraska. For a relationship to really work (because of human nature) the two need to be on fairly equal footing. Of course, if it is a relationship between a superior and employee, that would be different. I'm talking about friends and lovers.

I think he's talking about co-workers--but uniquely band members. And that is true too. Teamwork is important, and for it to work without hard feelings, everyone needs to pull their load. This reminds me of all of the group projects that my kids had to work on for school (and me too). Ugh. There is always someone who doesn't do their share and that brings the rest down. Unfortunately, it can effect the grades of the others. And I've never thought that was fair. Sorry for the tangent.

I need to go find my favorite quotes.....

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I realized that I did not highlight any quotes. :dunce: So I had to go looking. This is what I came up with, although I’m sure there are plenty of others, and probably more humorous or interesting ones.

I like this quote because I can totally see this:

“I respond instinctively to kindness with no side attached. In those days when I hung in Steer Town, I could walk in any door and my every need would be satisfied. I was treated as family and I acted like family, became family. Me sweep the yard, me mash up coconuts, me make chalice for the sacramental smoking. Man, I was more Rasta than they. I’d fallen in with just the right bunch of guys, and their old ladies. It was another one of those across-the-tracks things—just being accepted and welcomed into something I didn’t even know existed.”

And I was glad to read that he likes dogs:

“It’s strange, given my vocation, that I have had dogs since 1964. There was Syphilis, a big wolfhound I had before Marlon was born. And Ratbag, the dog I smuggled in from America. He was in my pocket. He kept his trap shut. I gave him to Mum, and he lived with her for many, many years. I’m away for months, yet the time you spend with pups binds you forever. I now have several packs, all unknown to one another due to the size of the oceans, although I sense they scent the others on my clothes. In rough times I know I can count on canines. When the dogs and I are alone, I talk endlessly. They’re great listeners. I would probably die for one.”

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 pm

This is Ratbag Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Being a cat person, I was happy to hear about his cat more so than the dogs. :grin:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Liz wrote:
And I was glad to read that he likes dogs:

“It’s strange, given my vocation, that I have had dogs since 1964. There was Syphilis, a big wolfhound I had before Marlon was born. And Ratbag, the dog I smuggled in from America. He was in my pocket. He kept his trap shut. I gave him to Mum, and he lived with her for many, many years. I’m away for months, yet the time you spend with pups binds you forever. I now have several packs, all unknown to one another due to the size of the oceans, although I sense they scent the others on my clothes. In rough times I know I can count on canines. When the dogs and I are alone, I talk endlessly. They’re great listeners. I would probably die for one.”

As a dog person, I can relate to that one.
Glad other people took the time to remember quotes. :ok:

Nice pic, GG! Thanks. :hatsoff:

Depp's Pearl

Unread postby Depp's Pearl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 pm

nebraska wrote:I have just thumbed through my book and looked at various notes in the margins and passages underlined, and it still comes down to the one on 501: " ... sooner or later the two principals will turn on each other because one of them will be driven crazy by the knowledge that to be at their best they need to perform with the other person and therefore they need that other person to be successful ..." I think it applies to marriage or co-workers or friendships. If you are involved in any kind of relationship at all with another person, in order to be at your best you need for that other person to be doing well, also. You cannot be jealous, you cannot attempt to be superior, you can't want to be the boss or be critical or unkind. And that is not always easy and at times it will drive a person crazy! But even in competition, if your opponent isn't worthy, you don't look good.

Wow. I just saved that quote. :cool:
"For this I bless you most: You give much and know not that you give at all." -Kahlil Gibran

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:24 am

nebraska wrote:Being a cat person, I was happy to hear about his cat more so than the dogs. :grin:

Voodoo, such a cute story. I think he's in the book a pic I mean although I have another too. There was also another pic of Keith with a cat at Nellcote. He likes animals, dogs , cats , horses. Obviously not turtles or crocs :lol:

He had another dog at Nellcote called Boogie who he took there from England but when they quit the house he had to leave them behind but they were taken care of becuase he paid for their upkeep while he continued to rent the house. I don't know what happened to them after that though. I don't think he mentioned that in the book did he?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I thought I had marked some as well but going back to look they were passages for questions. :lol: I do agree with all the quotes you all have referenced. I just enjoyed his stories in general abou the people he knew and I also liked the fact that he cleared up a few things surrounding his "myth".
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Just a couple ...

"The only trouble with true friends like that is we keep jumping in front of each other to save each other. Me, no, me, I'll take the hit. True Friends."

and

"Even now, to open a guitar case, when it's an old wooden guitar, I could crawl in and close the lid."
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:42 pm

They're nice ones bluebird :ok:

Return to “Life”