Life Question #23 - Tidbits

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Life Question #23 - Tidbits

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

fireflydances wrote: And nebraska, I' m with you, where can we find info on the demographics?

There is need for investigation I believe. :ONBC:

I did go look on Amazon just now to see what customers who bought Life also bought, and the majority of books were other rock and roll bios - Beatles, Stones, Clapton, one Hunter book. So it doesn’t seem to be Johnny fans so much, just those who are interested in rock and roll bios.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Good job Liz! I actually spent an hour fiddling around with marketing statistics sites and publishing etc. Little free info to be found. I guess that kind of data is valuable.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Firefly, I imagine the data would be valuable to Keith.

So here's my list so far of interesting tidbits:

- How he got the nickname Keef (pg. 113).

- How he came about the rough idea for “Satisfaction.”

- What he said about Allen Ginsberg on pg. 200. It was not complimentary.

- The apparent interest by Marlon Brando in Anita (pg. 222)

- That apparently Oswald got the gun he used to kill Kennedy from a Sears & Roebuck catalog?

- That the Sunset Strip was closed to traffic in the mid 60s? I don’t really believe that. Maybe he was talking just on the weekends.

- This would fall under the category of what I learned…..I did not know what a blues harp was before reading this book.

I have more, but I will give someone else a chance.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:08 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Well it certainly may be liked by some Keith/Stones fans but also its become fodder for criticising him from those so called fans that don't like him and there seem to be quite a few of them strangely :perplexed: I think he just wanted to tell his tale his side of the story which I think he has suceeded in doing. Of course we could be cynical and say well they paid him alot of money to do so and before the offer was there he never considered writing a memoir. Its certainly taken him by surprise as to how well it has been recieved he seems quite perplexed by that. :lol:

I am a little perplexed by that myself. I wonder why non-Richards-Stones fans would even find the book all that interesting? It has been hugely successful, selling LOTS and LOTS of books and winning a lot of awards, which of course spurs more sales. Is it people who came to adulthood in the 60s and 70s and who are re-living the era that have generated such high sales? Has Johnny reading part of the audio book increased interest? Does anyone know if there is a demographic for the readers of the book? (Apologies if I am way off topic here)

It’s OK to go off topic, Nebraska. And I don’t know the demographics. But I am not sure it is just for Stones fans. My son wanted to read it, and he is not a big Stones fan. And I really enjoyed it because I knew nothing of the Stones besides a few songs. So I found it all very fascinating. I think I was just really curious. And I also figured that it wouldn’t be just about Keith – that there would be other things (from the different time periods) that I would find interesting.

As far as whether Johnny reading it was a draw…..not for me. I put it on my Christmas list last year in book form. And my son gave it to me. We will have a question about the audiobook in a few days.

I would imagine it was lots of different people for lots of different reasons after all it did sell as you say lots and lots of copies. But it probably was mainly as Liz found people who are generally into music.

Liz I found it interesting about the nickname Keef becasue I had never heard it given him before . I don't remember reading or seeing him referred to by that name until the 80's or 90's and I just assumed it was something fans called him in a derogatory manner because some of them do that.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:05 am

Yeah, it was up there with string theory for me. But I found it interesting.

Well, it is "string" theory!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for looking up that information about sales, Liz! :cool: It makes sense that people interested in rock and roll and various biographies/histories of the music would find Keith's book of interest.

I noticed the Ginsberg reference as well.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:43 am

Buster wrote:
Yeah, it was up there with string theory for me. But I found it interesting.

Well, it is "string" theory!

:harhar:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:38 am

He has such a myth floating about him I think people wanted to read about him from his side. There have been quite a few rock and roll bios lately, I guess they have all survived to an age when they have a story to tell. :lol:

Interesting bits for me was where Keef came from, the truth behind him falling out of the tree - I was hoping that would be clarified. How they write the songs. Also the bit about Billy Preston - he was gay and he wore a wig?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:He has such a myth floating about him I think people wanted to read about him from his side. There have been quite a few rock and roll bios lately, I guess they have all survived to an age when they have a story to tell. :lol:

Interesting bits for me was where Keef came from, the truth behind him falling out of the tree - I was hoping that would be clarified. How they write the songs. Also the bit about Billy Preston - he was gay and he wore a wig?

Who'd have thought :lol:

The tree thing he clarified along time ago in fact not long afterwards but still people persisted that he fell out of a tree climbing up it to get coconuts :rolleyes: some people don't even believe it they think he had a heart attack or stroke. :perplexed:

Return to “Life”