Life Question #23 - Tidbits

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Question #23 - Tidbits

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:13 pm

What did you find to be the most interesting and/or your favorite tidbit from the book – something you didn’t know before?

NOTE: Just a clarification - I am NOT referring to ONBC's tidbits. I am referring to the tidbits that Keith shared with his readers in the book itself.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Re: Life Question #23 - Tidbits

Unread postby Buster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Oddly, one of the things that really stuck in my mind was the fun he had on his boat, Mandrax. Made me totally jealous.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I think I found everything he told us about his childhood and his grandfather the most interesting part of the book as I didn't know as much about that as everything else. I enjoyed the passion he expressed when talking about the music I think that came through quite strongly.
Something very trivial but I was glad Keith told about it was how he came to lose his earing as I had wondered how between 1969 and 1973 it was in his right ear and then after 1973 it was in his left I didn't know that before :lol: Also about the trip to Munich to find Uschi after Gram died.
Loved that little note he wrote about Patti. I'm sure there might be others but I can't think of anything off hand and so much of what he wrote about wasn't really new to me.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Buster wrote:Oddly, one of the things that really stuck in my mind was the fun he had on his boat, Mandrax. Made me totally jealous.

:lol: I'm not sure I would have wanted to be on it with him driving

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I liked his recipe for sausages, in his own inimitable style "fry the f :censored: 's" etc. :lol:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 pm

The other thing that really caught my attention was the whole five string open G tuning bit. It makes a wonderful kind of sense, and clears up some mystifying guitar licks.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Buster wrote:The other thing that really caught my attention was the whole five string open G tuning bit. It makes a wonderful kind of sense, and clears up some mystifying guitar licks.

:lol: to you maybe it was over my head though, but it was interesting.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I enjoyed his early childhood story, and I thought the pictures were fun -- young Keith was a pretty hot number. :bigwink: Before Life was selected for ONBC, I knew virtually nothing about Keith Richards except he had been in the POTC movies and GG was a huge fan of him. In fact, when the subject first came up, I didn't think I even knew any Stones music until DS2 loaned me a set of CDs. So I am sure my whole approach to this book was very different from most of you! I think the book was really written for Keith Richards/Rolling Stones fans.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Definitely his early years, the description of those times is something I think I'll always remember. And then, and I guess it's not small actually, but everything to do with being a musician. Everything from unique formats for chords to the people who sat in a session to the writing of songs. I don't think I ever read a book about a musician before. Haven't read many celebrity things either, and I guess I was very happily taken to discover that for this book, it mattered less who Keith was and more what he thought and did as a musician. If that makes sense.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

nebraska wrote:I enjoyed his early childhood story, and I thought the pictures were fun -- young Keith was a pretty hot number. :bigwink: Before Life was selected for ONBC, I knew virtually nothing about Keith Richards except he had been in the POTC movies and GG was a huge fan of him. In fact, when the subject first came up, I didn't think I even knew any Stones music until DS2 loaned me a set of CDs. So I am sure my whole approach to this book was very different from most of you! I think the book was really written for Keith Richards/Rolling Stones fans.

Well it certainly may be liked by some Keith/Stones fans but also its become fodder for criticising him from those so called fans that don't like him and there seem to be quite a few of them strangely :perplexed: I think he just wanted to tell his tale his side of the story which I think he has suceeded in doing. Of course we could be cynical and say well they paid him alot of money to do so and before the offer was there he never considered writing a memoir. Its certainly taken him by surprise as to how well it has been recieved he seems quite perplexed by that. :lol:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I enjoyed his early childhood story, and I thought the pictures were fun -- young Keith was a pretty hot number. :bigwink: Before Life was selected for ONBC, I knew virtually nothing about Keith Richards except he had been in the POTC movies and GG was a huge fan of him. In fact, when the subject first came up, I didn't think I even knew any Stones music until DS2 loaned me a set of CDs. So I am sure my whole approach to this book was very different from most of you! I think the book was really written for Keith Richards/Rolling Stones fans.

Well it certainly may be liked by some Keith/Stones fans but also its become fodder for criticising him from those so called fans that don't like him and there seem to be quite a few of them strangely :perplexed: I think he just wanted to tell his tale his side of the story which I think he has suceeded in doing. Of course we could be cynical and say well they paid him alot of money to do so and before the offer was there he never considered writing a memoir. Its certainly taken him by surprise as to how well it has been recieved he seems quite perplexed by that. :lol:

I am a little perplexed by that myself. I wonder why non-Richards-Stones fans would even find the book all that interesting? It has been hugely successful, selling LOTS and LOTS of books and winning a lot of awards, which of course spurs more sales. Is it people who came to adulthood in the 60s and 70s and who are re-living the era that have generated such high sales? Has Johnny reading part of the audio book increased interest? Does anyone know if there is a demographic for the readers of the book? (Apologies if I am way off topic here)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 pm

I think it's done so well because it's a great read. It doesn't matter WHO he is you know, it's a fascinating look into the life of a musician and it rises very far above the usual celebrity-mill story. It is extremely well written, thoughtful reflections, perspectives. I think it says a lot the general public that they weren't put off by the name but relied on word of mouth and reviews and went out and bought the thing.

In terms of Johnny reading it, I guess one would have to compare it to other audio books and see whether this one far outpaced the others. And nebraska, I' m with you, where can we find info on the demographics?

There is need for investigation I believe. :ONBC:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Buster wrote:The other thing that really caught my attention was the whole five string open G tuning bit. It makes a wonderful kind of sense, and clears up some mystifying guitar licks.

Yeah, it was up there with string theory for me. But I found it interesting.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:06 pm

nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

I am a little perplexed by that myself. I wonder why non-Richards-Stones fans would even find the book all that interesting? It has been hugely successful, selling LOTS and LOTS of books and winning a lot of awards, which of course spurs more sales. Is it people who came to adulthood in the 60s and 70s and who are re-living the era that have generated such high sales? Has Johnny reading part of the audio book increased interest? Does anyone know if there is a demographic for the readers of the book? (Apologies if I am way off topic here)

It’s OK to go off topic, Nebraska. And I don’t know the demographics. But I am not sure it is just for Stones fans. My son wanted to read it, and he is not a big Stones fan. And I really enjoyed it because I knew nothing of the Stones besides a few songs. So I found it all very fascinating. I think I was just really curious. And I also figured that it wouldn’t be just about Keith – that there would be other things (from the different time periods) that I would find interesting.

As far as whether Johnny reading it was a draw…..not for me. I put it on my Christmas list last year in book form. And my son gave it to me. We will have a question about the audiobook in a few days.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 pm

fireflydances wrote:Definitely his early years, the description of those times is something I think I'll always remember. And then, and I guess it's not small actually, but everything to do with being a musician. Everything from unique formats for chords to the people who sat in a session to the writing of songs. I don't think I ever read a book about a musician before. Haven't read many celebrity things either, and I guess I was very happily taken to discover that for this book, it mattered less who Keith was and more what he thought and did as a musician. If that makes sense.

Yes, it does, Firefly.

Return to “Life”