Life Question #21 ~ The Women

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 pm

How much of a part did the women who were associated with the band play into their story? How did you view their roles?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162977
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Well I guess you could say hugely. Many of the songs were inspired by the women they dated, lived with, married so not surprising there.
Anita Pallenberg's opinion was supposed to have been respected by Mick Jagger but I don't know how true that was, not sure I've actually read anything about that in any interview either he or Keith have ever given.
As for their roles, not sure what you mean by that.
Unless you are talking about the women coming between the Glimmers, guess in some ways women always did that one way or another. Guess they were always rivals to some degree where women were concerned certainly with Marianne, Anita, Uschi probably some others we don't know about.

Found some interesting quote fromMarianne on from The Telegraph in 2009

She quickly became part of the Stones’ inner circle, and once claimed to have slept with three of the band before settling on Jagger as boyfriend material. She applied herself to the role of muse. “I was very good at it. A muse brings her style, sensibility and mind to the artist. Mick would have written great songs anyway, they were just a little bit changed by my presence. Going over songs with him, suggesting a line here and there, topics, giving him books to read, I found that fascinating but it’s really just part of living with somebody, your minds begin to meld. I got a lot out of it, and I think Mick did too. I hope so. Not just aggro.”



She tells America's alternative rock magazine HARP, "My night with Keith was wonderful but it was just one night so it's a completely idealised, "It was Keith's idea that I go with Mick. He thought it would be good for the band. And instead of saying, 'But I love you,' I said, 'OK.'
"I didn't really love Mick when I was first with him, I was just obeying Keith."

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28492
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I am not sure I understand the question. Does this refer to women who influenced individual members, such as Doris sharing music with Keith as he grew up, or does it refer to women who had a direct influence on the entire band? Surely Bianca's marriage to Mick had a divisive influence since he seemed more interested in her and their relationship than he did his involvement with the Stones at that time.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Looks like I'm being obtuse... :biggrin: I mean all of them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby Liz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:34 am

I think we are just looking for you all to comment on the women in their lives - the women in the book. It's a pretty open-ended question, left for you all to comment on whatever you want to.

I'll just say that I found all of them interesting.....esp. the less well known women, like Lil (who seems to be a mystery), Uschi Obermaier, and Meg Patterson. I had never heard of these women before, so it was just fun to learn about them. They are all colorful in their own ways.

As far as the particular roles of these women.....

I think both Meg and Lil were in roles of saviors or healers. Meg healed Keith of his addiction (for the most part). It seems that Lil healed him from a support aspect.

Uschi was just interesting. I think that she was a distraction for Keith, so maybe in that way her role was as a healer too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162977
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 am

I think women were very important to Keith, he grew up surrounded by them it was alsmost a matriachal dominated world to some extent. His mother had lots of sisters and he seemed to have lots of female cousins too. Yet he was very shy around them didn't really know how to make the first move alot of the time and liked to get to know the women he slept with on tour rather than just having a one night stand.
I think Anita remained a mystery to him and he has a very romantic side where women are concerned too, he fell head over heels in love with Patti and they are still together and still in love.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162977
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:46 am

nebraska wrote:I am not sure I understand the question. Does this refer to women who influenced individual members, such as Doris sharing music with Keith as he grew up, or does it refer to women who had a direct influence on the entire band? Surely Bianca's marriage to Mick had a divisive influence since he seemed more interested in her and their relationship than he did his involvement with the Stones at that time.

I think Bianca coming into Mick's life was only part of a bigger problem that was already brewing . She was a socialite and Mick was already associating with people who were, I think being with Bianca just escalated that . He was very taken with her though at first so not surprising he felt he wanted to be with her rather than be with the Stones. In some ways thats always been the case, Mick wants more than just the Stones they are not as important to him as to Keith.

Liz I'm intrigued about your suggestion of how important Meg Patterson was in the story although she was very inavative with her black box which helped in Keith's getting off Heroin I think she only plays a tiny part of the story after all he was only with her for what two or three weeks.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28492
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I am not sure I understand the question. Does this refer to women who influenced individual members, such as Doris sharing music with Keith as he grew up, or does it refer to women who had a direct influence on the entire band? Surely Bianca's marriage to Mick had a divisive influence since he seemed more interested in her and their relationship than he did his involvement with the Stones at that time.

I think Bianca coming into Mick's life was only part of a bigger problem that was already brewing .She was a socialite and Mick was already associating with people who were, I think being with Bianca just escalated that . He was very taken with her though at first so not surprising he felt he wanted to be with her rather than be with the Stones. In some ways thats always been the case, Mick wants more than just the Stones they are not as important to him as to Keith.


You probably have a point about Bianca and Mick. Watching an interview with Mick about his acting roles, I did get the feeling that he wanted to branch out and do more with his life than play in one rock 'n' roll band for his whole life time. Bianca may have been a means to an end, but it did highlight the differences between Kieth and Mick and what their goals were.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162977
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #21 ~ The Women

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 pm

nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:I am not sure I understand the question. Does this refer to women who influenced individual members, such as Doris sharing music with Keith as he grew up, or does it refer to women who had a direct influence on the entire band? Surely Bianca's marriage to Mick had a divisive influence since he seemed more interested in her and their relationship than he did his involvement with the Stones at that time.

I think Bianca coming into Mick's life was only part of a bigger problem that was already brewing .She was a socialite and Mick was already associating with people who were, I think being with Bianca just escalated that . He was very taken with her though at first so not surprising he felt he wanted to be with her rather than be with the Stones. In some ways thats always been the case, Mick wants more than just the Stones they are not as important to him as to Keith.


You probably have a point about Bianca and Mick. Watching an interview with Mick about his acting roles, I did get the feeling that he wanted to branch out and do more with his life than play in one rock 'n' roll band for his whole life time. Bianca may have been a means to an end, but it did highlight the differences between Kieth and Mick and what their goals were.

Exactly, but that didn't work out too well :biggrin:


Return to “Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest