Life Question #20 - The Death of Scott Cantrell

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Question #20 - The Death of Scott Cantrell

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Comment on the death of Anita’s young male friend. (pg. 419-421) The link below covers the story well:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #20 - The Death of Scott Cantrell

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm not sure what there is to say he was an unfortunate who got caught up in Anita's web, I remember the newspaper reports at the time, it made me dislike her even more than I did already. It was very tragic for the family and awful for Marlon too. I don't know what the truth of it was maybe he was a very disturbed young man according to the sister he was very in love with Anita.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Liz wrote:Comment on the death of Anita’s young male friend. (pg. 419-421) The link below covers the story well:

That is a powerful article you linked to, Liz! That article, and the People magazine article linked in it as well. Hero worship is a dangerous thing, especially for young people who don't have enough experience to be able to see clearly beyond the public persona.
I am ashamed to say I didn't really pay a lot of attention to that part of Keith's story when I read the book, probably because he wasn't actually there in person when this shooting happened and he didn't seem to give a lot of importance to the incident other than it meant he was ridding himself of his relationship with Anita once and for all. Going back and reading it again now, I am a little shocked by the callous way Keith talks about it, particularly in the words he uses when he talks about Scott Cantrell. I wonder if the kid knew that Keith felt so utterly disgusted by him?
Keith writes "I was going to make sure she didn't go to jail when they lost interest in me. It was a miracle how that case just disappeared." There seem to have been a lot of miraculous events surrounding the Stones and their brushes with the law. :-/

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:01 pm

It may be callous but then he didn't know him that well and he wasn't nice to Marlon so you could look at it from that angle. Also Keith met him we didn't. I know at the time I was quite shocked by the incident mainly becasue I at that time didn't realise that Keith wasn't around and that he and Anita were technically over and she was seeing this young kid.
Btw the journalist that wrote the article is one of the "fans" on the Stones forum.
Btw not sure why it matters if the kid knew how disgusted Keith was with him, he wasn't interested in Keith.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, it is rather disgusting, all the way around. But I'm mostly disgusted with Anita's behavior. The kid was only 17. And it was a very inappropriate situation to put Marlon in. I have to agree that Keith seemed cold about it. But maybe that is how he deals with it. He was not directly involved. But at the time, I bet he was very upset. But does he remember? :biggrin: (Just trying to lighten things up here.)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I think I may have commented in an earlier thread that when I was young, I kind of idolised Keith and Anita as being a glamorous, edgy couple. They were very charismatic and exciting to me as a teenager.

I was really shocked by some aspects of their drug taking in Life - I didn't know how deep it all went and how it meant they were virtually unable to bring up their own children. I'm not condemning them, but it did make me reflect on how one can view celebrities from the outside yet obviously have no idea about the realities of their lives. I really can't comment on the situation with this young man, as I feel I don't know enough about the circumstances or the people involved.

I think they lived through some wild times...they're both strong characters and took things to extremes. I listened to an interview with Anita on the radio a few months ago, she was an intelligent and interesting interviewee. She seemed to bear Keith no malice and I formed the impression she was at peace with her life. As he he says in the book, they are amicable with oneanother and enjoy their grandchildren.

There is a darkness there though.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Liz wrote:Well, it is rather disgusting, all the way around. But I'm mostly disgusted with Anita's behavior. The kid was only 17. And it was a very inappropriate situation to put Marlon in. I have to agree that Keith seemed cold about it. But maybe that is how he deals with it. He was not directly involved. But at the time, I bet he was very upset. But does he remember? :biggrin: (Just trying to lighten things up here.)

Yes, I was thinking that too maybe thats his way of dealing with something awful, almost a bravado thing.

I find that interesting JL that you idolized them as a couple. I didn't really like Anita and I didn't know an awful lot about them as a couple back then, they were not in the papers much except when they were busted. Mick and Bianca though they were the glamorous ones, not to me but to the media.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:Well, it is rather disgusting, all the way around. But I'm mostly disgusted with Anita's behavior. The kid was only 17. And it was a very inappropriate situation to put Marlon in. I have to agree that Keith seemed cold about it. But maybe that is how he deals with it. He was not directly involved. But at the time, I bet he was very upset. But does he remember? :biggrin: (Just trying to lighten things up here.)

Yes, I was thinking that too maybe thats his way of dealing with something awful, almost a bravado thing.

This is not the first time I detected that maybe some things were just too hard for him to talk about - the death of his child (even though he did), Patti's illness. I'm not sure it is a bravado thing, but maybe a protective mechanism. But this is ALL just speculation on my part, like many things we have discussed. I'm just throwing out possibilities.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Liz wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

This is not the first time I detected that maybe some things were just too hard for him to talk about - the death of his child (even though he did), Patti's illness. I'm not sure it is a bravado thing, but maybe a protective mechanism. But this is ALL just speculation on my part, like many things we have discussed. I'm just throwing out possibilities.

Protection mechanism sounds plausible too.
On the filmed interviews he did last year he certainly does talk about Tara's death and is clearly upset by that still. And from an interview in a magazine last year with Patti it was clear he didn't cope well with her illness. But then men don't I guess, he didn't look too well himself on occasion during 2008 which was when they were dealing with that.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm

As I've mentioned earlier I didn't like the way Keiths addiction affected his children but as unfair as it seems I blamed Anita more. Very old fashioned and sexist of me but I expect more from a woman when it comes to caring for their children. I may be expecting too much from someone with an addiction but it seems there must have been some times of sanity. The same feelings apply to the death of this teenager. Keith may be calloused about it but I blame Anita, accident or not.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:47 pm

I sensed that he was really very angry about the whole mess. As he should have been, considering that his son was being exposed to such nastiness.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I must say, Keith's attitude about the situation didn't endear me to him, nor did Anita's.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 am

nebraska wrote:

I sensed that he was really very angry about the whole mess. As he should have been, considering that his son was being exposed to such nastiness.

:highfive:

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:

I find that interesting JL that you idolized them as a couple. I didn't really like Anita and I didn't know an awful lot about them as a couple back then, they were not in the papers much except when they were busted. Mick and Bianca though they were the glamorous ones, not to me but to the media.

I was very young GG...I used to see pictures of them in fashion magazines and such, I was always drawn to arty images and used to cover the walls of my room with pictures of people whom I wanted to look like and so on. :lol:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 am

Jackslady wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

I was very young GG...I used to see pictures of them in fashion magazines and such, I was always drawn to arty images and used to cover the walls of my room with pictures of people whom I wanted to look like and so on. :lol:

Guess I never had fashion magazine when I was that young. Must have been pretty early on in the 70's as there are not really any pics of them together after 1973.

Return to “Life”