Life Question #19 ~ Image

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 am

In part I agree Nebraska and in part this is where he fails with the book although I think some people have managed to find the traditional Keith in the book becasue in the CBS interview done at the time the interviewer says to him he thinks he is quite a traditional person really and Keith replies thats what he's been trying to tell people for years. :lol:

Btw the bit about the kids being taken to Brownies was from a recent interview with Patti with Harper's Bazar. The lemon tree was from the interviews he did with jimmy Fallon last year and this year and also on the CBS interview. Just in case anyone want to view them.

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Buster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 am

So in a way, by keeping the image alive he protects his privacy.

I agree, nebraska. It's an excuse, a cover, a handy costume to cover the parts he doesn't care to share.
We've heard enough from Johnny to know just how brutalizing the invasion of privacy can be; any image that keeps the public at arms length (while giving the illusion that it shows the "real" man) must be very welcome.

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:48 pm

I think the media has such a huge influence these days, especially with the rise of the internet with its tabloid sites/Twitter and so forth. Many celebrities have an image that has been fashioned without their consent:

Johnny: family man/pirate/maverick movie star
Angelina Jolie: stole Brad Pitt/man-eater/earth mother
Jennifer Aniston: lonely single woman/never got over Brad Pitt
Lady GaGa: crazy fashionista/probably poor singer
Madonna: feisty workhouse/man-eater
Keith: prince of darkness/prodigious drug taker/outlaw

And so on....

I think if one doesn't know much about a particular celebrity, it's easy to buy into the popular media image of them and leave it at that(I've certainly done this myself). Personally I had no idea that Keith gave up drugs around 30 years ago, prior to Life I just assumed he was still on them, albeit to a lesser degree!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Jackslady wrote:I think the media has such a huge influence these days, especially with the rise of the internet with its tabloid sites/Twitter and so forth. Many celebrities have an image that has been fashioned without their consent:

Johnny: family man/pirate/maverick movie star
Angelina Jolie: stole Brad Pitt/man-eater/earth mother
Jennifer Aniston: lonely single woman/never got over Brad Pitt
Lady GaGa: crazy fashionista/probably poor singer
Madonna: feisty workhouse/man-eater
Keith: prince of darkness/prodigious drug taker/outlaw

And so on....

I think if one doesn't know much about a particular celebrity, it's easy to buy into the popular media image of them and leave it at that(I've certainly done this myself). Personally I had no idea that Keith gave up drugs around 30 years ago, prior to Life I just assumed he was still on them, albeit to a lesser degree!

Really? didn't you think if he was he would be dead by now.

Anyway I think you are right. you know back when i was first into Keith in the 70's the only way you could find out any info was if they either had an interview in the music press, (very rare) or in the normal press if they got busted ( not that often either) now its so easy to look something up.
Good points :ok:

User avatar
CandyGirl
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 pm
Location: Machine
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby CandyGirl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

And there are others who fashion a persona/image on purpose as to distract the people from who they truly are, or to hide. One that comes to my mind is David Bowie. I wonder if it was a way for Keith to hide his real self from the press. Some celebrities are actually quite timid. And I don't blame the ones who want privacy. I don't know that much about Keith so excuse me if I'm getting the hiding thing wrong.
"One person's craziness is another person's reality."~ Tim Burton

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28047
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

I have never been able to read very far in Murray Pomerance's book "Johnny Depp Starts Here" because it makes my brain hurt. :hypnotic: But as nearly as I can decipher the part I have read, he says there is Johnny Depp in a movie playing the part of an actor playing a character role. And then there is Johnny Depp the public person playing the part of an actor celebrity as he wants to be perceived in public. And there is also Johnny Depp the secret person playing the role of his private self -- probably the one that Daniel refers to as his brother John, which sounds very foreign to those of us who think we really know him when what we really know is the role he plays doing interviews and meeting fans and signing autographs.

I suppose celebrities in general find it necessary to have a public image that is different from their private self, so as not to be completely swallowed up by fame.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3158
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 pm

nebraska wrote:I have never been able to read very far in Murray Pomerance's book "Johnny Depp Starts Here" because it makes my brain hurt. :hypnotic: But as nearly as I can decipher the part I have read, he says there is Johnny Depp in a movie playing the part of an actor playing a character role. And then there is Johnny Depp the public person playing the part of an actor celebrity as he wants to be perceived in public. And there is also Johnny Depp the secret person playing the role of his private self -- probably the one that Daniel refers to as his brother John, which sounds very foreign to those of us who think we really know him when what we really know is the role he plays doing interviews and meeting fans and signing autographs.

I suppose celebrities in general find it necessary to have a public image that is different from their private self, so as not to be completely swallowed up by fame.


I think that's very true. Good post.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Agreed but I think it has to start somewhere with a kernel of truth and then it seems to take on a life of it's own.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

RamblinRebel
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Chicago or thereabouts

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 am

fireflydances wrote:
nebraska wrote:I have never been able to read very far in Murray Pomerance's book "Johnny Depp Starts Here" because it makes my brain hurt. :hypnotic: But as nearly as I can decipher the part I have read, he says there is Johnny Depp in a movie playing the part of an actor playing a character role. And then there is Johnny Depp the public person playing the part of an actor celebrity as he wants to be perceived in public. And there is also Johnny Depp the secret person playing the role of his private self -- probably the one that Daniel refers to as his brother John, which sounds very foreign to those of us who think we really know him when what we really know is the role he plays doing interviews and meeting fans and signing autographs.

I suppose celebrities in general find it necessary to have a public image that is different from their private self, so as not to be completely swallowed up by fame.


I think that's very true. Good post.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Agreed but I think it has to start somewhere with a kernel of truth and then it seems to take on a life of it's own.
Yes. I agree with those sentiments as well!

As far as Keith's image goes, the only part I was really aware of was the "most likely to die" bit and after reading the book, I think it was very warranted! The grain of truth, perhaps. Time and again I found myself amazed that he survived situations that he did. Now, is he playing up to the image with the selected passages? Probably, but still – why the heck isn’t he dead? (Not that I want him to be! But statistically speaking, it seems he's had more than 9 lives. ;-) )

But what about this bit?

They imagined me, they made me, the folks out there created this folk hero. Bless their hearts. And I'll do the best I can to fulfill their needs. They're wishing me to do things that they can't. They've got to do this job, they've got this life, they're an insurance salesman but at the same time, inside of them is a raging Keith Richards.

That passage struck a chord with me, and I’m dying to know… to the Keith fans – is there a raging Keith Richards inside you? And to all of us – is there a raging Johnny inside you somewhere, dying to get out? When I first read that I had to ask myself that question, and the truth is yeah, there is, most definitely. I think Keith’s on to something there. How much pressure do you think celebrities feel to live up to the hype? To live the life that we can’t, or won’t, to “fulfill our needs” as Keith put it? I’m sorry if I’m delving into too far of a tangent… it just set me to thinking...Do we choose to admire the people that we do because we want to be like them? Or because we are already like them, in some respect? What about the people Johnny admires? Is there a raging Hunter inside Johnny? A Keef? A Patti? A Nick Toshes? :yikes: Brain on overload now. :hypnotic: I could go on and on with these questions… I’d better stop here.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 am

nebraska wrote:I have never been able to read very far in Murray Pomerance's book "Johnny Depp Starts Here" because it makes my brain hurt. :hypnotic: But as nearly as I can decipher the part I have read, he says there is Johnny Depp in a movie playing the part of an actor playing a character role. And then there is Johnny Depp the public person playing the part of an actor celebrity as he wants to be perceived in public. And there is also Johnny Depp the secret person playing the role of his private self -- probably the one that Daniel refers to as his brother John, which sounds very foreign to those of us who think we really know him when what we really know is the role he plays doing interviews and meeting fans and signing autographs.

I suppose celebrities in general find it necessary to have a public image that is different from their private self, so as not to be completely swallowed up by fame.

Yeah I found that book just made me very angry when I read it, but I think you have a good point.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 am

RamblinRebel wrote:


But what about this bit?

They imagined me, they made me, the folks out there created this folk hero. Bless their hearts. And I'll do the best I can to fulfill their needs. They're wishing me to do things that they can't. They've got to do this job, they've got this life, they're an insurance salesman but at the same time, inside of them is a raging Keith Richards.

That passage struck a chord with me, and I’m dying to know… to the Keith fans – is there a raging Keith Richards inside you? And to all of us – is there a raging Johnny inside you somewhere, dying to get out? When I first read that I had to ask myself that question, and the truth is yeah, there is, most definitely. I think Keith’s on to something there. How much pressure do you think celebrities feel to live up to the hype? To live the life that we can’t, or won’t, to “fulfill our needs” as Keith put it? I’m sorry if I’m delving into too far of a tangent… it just set me to thinking...Do we choose to admire the people that we do because we want to be like them? Or because we are already like them, in some respect? What about the people Johnny admires? Is there a raging Hunter inside Johnny? A Keef? A Patti? A Nick Toshes? :yikes: Brain on overload now. :hypnotic: I could go on and on with these questions… I’d better stop here.


No I can honestly say there is no raging Keith Richards inside me or a Johnny Depp. I think maybe if you are a musician and you might want to be like Keith but not otherwise and I think thats mainly what he is referring too.

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
RamblinRebel wrote:


But what about this bit?

They imagined me, they made me, the folks out there created this folk hero. Bless their hearts. And I'll do the best I can to fulfill their needs. They're wishing me to do things that they can't. They've got to do this job, they've got this life, they're an insurance salesman but at the same time, inside of them is a raging Keith Richards.

That passage struck a chord with me, and I’m dying to know… to the Keith fans – is there a raging Keith Richards inside you? And to all of us – is there a raging Johnny inside you somewhere, dying to get out? When I first read that I had to ask myself that question, and the truth is yeah, there is, most definitely. I think Keith’s on to something there. How much pressure do you think celebrities feel to live up to the hype? To live the life that we can’t, or won’t, to “fulfill our needs” as Keith put it? I’m sorry if I’m delving into too far of a tangent… it just set me to thinking...Do we choose to admire the people that we do because we want to be like them? Or because we are already like them, in some respect? What about the people Johnny admires? Is there a raging Hunter inside Johnny? A Keef? A Patti? A Nick Toshes? :yikes: Brain on overload now. :hypnotic: I could go on and on with these questions… I’d better stop here.


No I can honestly say there is no raging Keith Richards inside me or a Johnny Depp. I think maybe if you are a musician and you might want to be like Keith but not otherwise and I think thats mainly what he is referring too.


I think I am definitely drawn to performers who embody certain qualities I would like to have myself. Most of the people I admire are mavericks, people who go against the grain, and who are very confident in who they are. I like it when they surprise me, and do work that really stretches them and sometimes challenges me - I don't like safe/conventional stuff at all.

I have a friend who used to work in the industry and through her I have learned how much celebrities do deliberately fashion images, with the help of their agents and PR people, and how often they collude with the press, even down to arranging pap photos in some cases. I'm not putting Johnny or Keith into this bracket and have no knowledge that they do this, but I know many others do.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 am

Jackslady wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
RamblinRebel wrote:


But what about this bit?

They imagined me, they made me, the folks out there created this folk hero. Bless their hearts. And I'll do the best I can to fulfill their needs. They're wishing me to do things that they can't. They've got to do this job, they've got this life, they're an insurance salesman but at the same time, inside of them is a raging Keith Richards.

That passage struck a chord with me, and I’m dying to know… to the Keith fans – is there a raging Keith Richards inside you? And to all of us – is there a raging Johnny inside you somewhere, dying to get out? When I first read that I had to ask myself that question, and the truth is yeah, there is, most definitely. I think Keith’s on to something there. How much pressure do you think celebrities feel to live up to the hype? To live the life that we can’t, or won’t, to “fulfill our needs” as Keith put it? I’m sorry if I’m delving into too far of a tangent… it just set me to thinking...Do we choose to admire the people that we do because we want to be like them? Or because we are already like them, in some respect? What about the people Johnny admires? Is there a raging Hunter inside Johnny? A Keef? A Patti? A Nick Toshes? :yikes: Brain on overload now. :hypnotic: I could go on and on with these questions… I’d better stop here.


No I can honestly say there is no raging Keith Richards inside me or a Johnny Depp. I think maybe if you are a musician and you might want to be like Keith but not otherwise and I think thats mainly what he is referring too.


I think I am definitely drawn to performers who embody certain qualities I would like to have myself. Most of the people I admire are mavericks, people who go against the grain, and who are very confident in who they are. I like it when they surprise me, and do work that really stretches them and sometimes challenges me - I don't like safe/conventional stuff at all.

I have a friend who used to work in the industry and through her I have learned how much celebrities do deliberately fashion images, with the help of their agents and PR people, and how often they collude with the press, even down to arranging pap photos in some cases. I'm not putting Johnny or Keith into this bracket and have no knowledge that they do this, but I know many others do.

Well knowning how some celebs like to be always in the news that I can believe.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 pm

I think there has to be some quality to the person you admire that draws you in either because you identify with it or you want to. It is interesting, and scary, how the media crafts an image of a celebrity, either with our without the cooperation of said celebrity, then spends so much time tearing down the very thing they have built up. If you are someone who carefully crafts your image, imagine how draining it would be to constantly be that person. No wonder some of them self destruct.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 162324
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Life Question #19 ~ Image

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Just looking at Time is On Our Side web site and found this quote from Keith on this very subject

Keith Richards (1973): The Keith Richards image
You see, I don't really give a damn what they - what the media or whatever you call 'em - write about me. You know, I'd just like to see all those :censored: spending an hour onstage doing what I do, and see how they stand up to it. I just presume they have nothing better to do, or that they're hard up for a story, or whatever. It still goes on and I just go along with the Bad publicity is better than no publicity idea. I mean, if they wrote about me as the sweet, gentle, loving family man, it would probably do me more damage. And be equally untrue. They don't know anything anyway. They'll just blow anything up out of all proportions like that Ron Wood to replace Keith Richards story which started off as a mildly funny drunken joke we thought up at Tramps one night, and which Fleet Street got hold of and blew up.

Same with the busts. Everyone thinks I've been busted hundreds of time when in fact this now is only the second time I'ver even been brought up before a court. I mean Mick Jagger's been busted more than I have, but because you're a celebrity or whatever, everyone gets to hear about it.


Return to “Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest