Life Question #15 - Did they sound English?

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Question #15 - Did they sound English?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Pg. 158. In America people like Bobby Womack used to say, “The first time we heard you guys we thought you were black guys……We didn’t sound English. And I think it surprised us too.

Do you think they sounded English?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #15 - Did they sound English?

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

To answer the question I just listened to some of their earliest stuff and I think no they didn't when they were covering Chuck Berry songs but when they started singing their own stuff they definatley didn't sound like they were black. As to whether they were English well to me they sound English because they are :lol:

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Only when they talk. :bigwink:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm

At times they sound English, other times no. The same with many English bands. I remember being surprised by a few when I found out they were English but I can't remember who it was now. :-? Sometimes it will be a particular word that you notice or a phrase or idiom that is different. I have to say though, I really can't stand Mick singing country, it just doesn't work for me!! (Sorry, Mick!)

I was totally shocked the first time I heard Hugh Laurie speak outside of his House character! :-O I had no idea he was English!
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Yes, they sounded English to me---but of course I'm only thinking about Mick since he did the lead singing, at least back then when I first became aware of them and started buying their records, which I still have btw. :goodvibes:
He sounded English on all the songs back then, but for some reason Paint It Black stands out in my mind above the rest as the one he sounded the most English on, lol. My boyfriend (who died a few years ago) told me he painted his bedroom entirely black--ceiling and walls--after hearing that song and falling in love with it when he was in grade school.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: I have to say though, I really can't stand Mick singing country, it just doesn't work for me!! (Sorry, Mick!)

:yuck: :freaked: Yeah, the British accent and country twang just do not mesh well together at ALL.

I was totally shocked the first time I heard Hugh Laurie speak outside of his House character! :-O I had no idea he was English! :lol:

Me too! It amazes me how well he speaks American! And he rarely slips up ever.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:52 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:Only when they talk. :bigwink:

Me too! But then I don't think any of the British groups sounded "English" when they were singing.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

fireflydances wrote:
RamblinRebel wrote:Only when they talk. :bigwink:

Me too! But then I don't think any of the British groups sounded "English" when they were singing.

I thought Paul and John both did very strongly throughout A Day In the Life--one of my top fave Beatles songs.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:25 pm

This question reminds me of Mel Tellis. Stutters so bad he can barely communicate when he speaks, but sings beautifully. I think in general it is hard to decipher accents and such when people sing.

Or was he referring to the raspy bluesy sounds of some of the older black artists like Muddy Waters? Hard to know what was voice and what was the quality of the recordings.

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:43 pm

I heard Johnny's fake British accent through a lot of his singing in Sweeney Todd, though. :-) :lol:
Ironic, since he's not really British yet I heard his British accent!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 pm

I do think the accent comes through more strongly on the early recordings, Ruby Tuesday comes to mind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm

They always sounded "English" to my ear. Some songs the accent comes through stronger, but it's always there to me. I like it! :lol:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:49 pm

I always thought they sounded English. But I don’t know if that is because I thought that’s how English people spoke/sang/whatever. I was only 11 at the time. As an adult and listening again, though, I do think they (Mick, really) sound English.

I think the Beatles sounded English. Eric Clapton, not so much. The Who, Roger Daltry yes, Pete Townshend not so much.

Cyn, Johnny deppinately sounded English in Sweeney Todd. He sounds so much like David Bowie, who I’ve always thought sounded English in his music.

There is a female artist I was surprised to find out was Scottish - Sheena Easton. I know that there are others. I just can’t think of them.

DITHOT, yes, Ruby Tuesday is very English sounding to me.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:07 am

Mick seems to have changed his accent depending on how he felt over the years. Could be a question of could the real Mick Jagger stand up please.

If you find his voice not quite right on Country songs I think its becasue he's never been really comfortable singing them and the ones that they wrote have sometimes been jokey . You only have to watch the original video for Far Away Eyes to see that. Keith was much more into the Country music than Mick.

It's mimicry, it is, it's parody...

- Mick Jagger, 1978

Mick feels the need to get into these caricatures. He's slightly vaudeville in his approach. Far Away Eyes is like that. He did it great every time except for the final take. It's good when he does it straight 'cause it's funny enough without doing a pantomime. It's the SOUND version of what he was doing wrong VISUALLY. When he sings it as a caricature it sounds like it would be great for a show. You expect Mick to walk out in his cowboy duds on an 18-wheeler set (laughs). Or sing it into his CB as part of his skit.

- Keith Richards, 1979

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm glad to know he was going for the comedy! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Life”