Life Question #9 - Mayhem & Madness

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #9 - Mayhem & Madness

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:11 pm

moviemom wrote:After watching the videos, I came away thinking that the Hells Angels were totally at fault. People were trying to have a good time, but the "security" was hitting those down front (you could see the shock on the faces of those back a few yards) in a poor attempt at crowd control. No matter what Mick or Keef said, it made little impact. No one expected such violence in the era of peace and love, did they!

I never thought any part of American Pie related to this concert. :eyebrow:

Well you could say the era of peace and love was marred by the Vietnam War and there were plenty of demonstrations both violent and peaceful against that.

As I said I think the significent thing is the fact that the band although they could keep a crowd in the palm of their hand while performing don't have any real power. Also I think it was evident that the Angels had no respect for the band at all you can see it in their faces and how they looked at Mick.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Reading everyones thoughts leave me in agreement with much of what has already been said. I think the event being poorly planned and the Angels over aggressive crowd control was most of the problem. Yes, we don’t know what Meredith was going to do with the gun and I do wonder how another type of crowd control would have handled that under those circumstances. The Stones do make an attempt to calm the scene but soon saw it was out of their hands.
I do think the up close and personal stage set would be very intimidating with that crowd. Even threatening to stop playing and leave would not go over well and as aggressive as the Angels were if they truly incensed the crowd I doubt they could have handled the situation. A very dangerous situation for all involved.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
moviemom wrote:After watching the videos, I came away thinking that the Hells Angels were totally at fault. People were trying to have a good time, but the "security" was hitting those down front (you could see the shock on the faces of those back a few yards) in a poor attempt at crowd control. No matter what Mick or Keef said, it made little impact. No one expected such violence in the era of peace and love, did they!

I never thought any part of American Pie related to this concert. :eyebrow:

Well you could say the era of peace and love was marred by the Vietnam War and there were plenty of demonstrations both violent and peaceful against that.

As I said I think the significent thing is the fact that the band although they could keep a crowd in the palm of their hand while performing don't have any real power. Also I think it was evident that the Angels had no respect for the band at all you can see it in their faces and how they looked at Mick.

I forgot to put a sarcastic icon after "peace and love, did they!" :rolleyes: There it is.

I think you're right about the Hells Angels and it was horrible what happened.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Society at that time was in a major upheaval. You had the 60's with the extreme cultural change in music, dress, culture and lack of structure that had been such a stalwart of the 40's and 50's. The late 50's and early 60's were truly a cultural turning point, I think just as the 20's had been. The original peace and love movement, which was sincere and palpable, could not sustain itself without some sort of boundaries which became ill defined and co-opted.

Altamont was poorly conceived and poorly organized. Not the fault of the bands that played. I think, over time, it has become the ugly step-sister to Woodstock. Apples and oranges, luv.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Altamont was poorly conceived and poorly organized. Not the fault of the bands that played. I think, over time, it has become the ugly step-sister to Woodstock. Apples and oranges, luv.

Then the Monterey Pop Festival of '67 would be its handsome step-brother! ;-)
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 pm

So would have loved to have there! Does it get any better?? :cool:

[youtube]jhBFRNBxT_o[/youtube]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:So would have loved to have there! Does it get any better?? :cool:

:applause2: :applause: :applause2: :applause: :applause2: :applause: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

No it certainly doesn't! :cloud9:
Do all those emoticons even being to convey how much I dearly love Janis?? I've worn so many of her records and tapes out over the years...I cried the day she died, as I did when Hendrix died a month earlier. To say she was one of a kind is a massive understatement, and there will never be another one like her even though some have tried to be like her.
Wow, that vid is a priceless gem. That music to that song was always magical to me, and then her voice on top of it. I really need to stop blathering...

Thanks, DITHOT. :cool:
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

MartyZero

Unread postby MartyZero » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 pm

When I lived in Cali a friend of mine who attended said he had a great time. It's true that he was never anywhere near the stage but he says it was misrepresented by the media. The vast majority enjoyed themselves. The media portrayal of drug crazed youth murdering each other destroyed the large concert venue. It was too large but that's what you got when you had many REAL stars at the height of their fame being the draw. Everybody is gonna go and probably have to walk the last 5 miles in!

There is no doubt that the Hells Angels caused the mayhem. I chalk that up to the poor decision the Stones made to trust the advise of the Grateful Dead. At that time Jerry Garcia was hanging with the Angles (supposedly to make a film about them) and in the course of that time period slowly slid into heroin addiction, a habit that ultimately killed him. He wasn't the only one of course. A reporter once asked Grace Slick why all the Rock & Roll stars were dying of drug overdoses - Jones, Hendrix, Joplin, etc. She said, " They can afford it."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:14 am

What I remember from that time. Well, to begin with, we were all so damn impressed with ourselves around Woodstock and the fact that thousands of us had come together, and with minimal interference from any legal body, proceeded to to demonstrate that peace and love were all you really needed. So we were as different as night and day from our parents' generation, in the midst of creating a new world, free of old outdated constraints. We were community. We were safe among ourselves. I think that's what the Stones thought too. The old rules didn't apply to the hippie generation, so they were as shocked as we at the outcome. Everyone had come together for a good time, so what went wrong? I remember how some, after the fact, blamed it on Sympathy for the Devil, not in a rejecting way, but in a commonsensical way, you play with fire, you live with the outcome. The Stones had come flat up against Evil, run along next to it, summoned up the Devil out of sheer boundless curiosity and so he'd joined the party. I was one that loved the wicked ways of the Stones, loved the dark side of the times as much as the peace and love stuff. We were very young, and very foolish, but I am glad for what we were. That wide open perspective continues, in a somewhat muted form, to lead many of us today. I always like to think about legends of really ancient hippies returning to their roots in their dotage. Peace, and love, sister. You never know, we may change the world permanently after all. :bigwink:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 pm

That wide open perspective continues, in a somewhat muted form, to lead many of us today. I always like to think about legends of really ancient hippies returning to their roots in their dotage. Peace, and love, sister. You never know, we may change the world permanently after all.

If only it continued in a less muted form. :-/ Where I live there are many in their dotage! :cool: :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 pm

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

I have always thought that it was the Angels who contributed to most of the mayhem.

But one has to argue that Hunter had a gun.

From what I can tell, the organizers did a sloppy job of putting it together. It was too last minute.

I think now, it was a combination of factors that contributed to the madness, and it spiraled out of control.

I was close enough to the two events on the west coast, and would have loved to have gone to either. I was just too young.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Life”