Life Question #6 - Would you let your daughter marry this?

by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Question #6 - Would you let your daughter marry this?

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I learned to love the 40's big band music through my parents and an appreciation of Frank Sinatra and that group. They pretty much ignored my music or just made fun of it! :lol: The Beatles and the Stones were so different from anything they were used to, it all ran together for them.

Maybe the PR surrounding them as being the bad boys was more noticable in the UK rather than anywhere else, after all thats where it was initiated.

It was quite noticeable here. My parents were just tuned out enough to think all rock and roll musicians were cut from the same bad boy cloth! :lol:

:ok: :lol:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:24 pm

You’ve got the Beatles, mums love them and dads love them, but would you let your daughter marry this?

I think at first the Beatles seemed like a very neat little group in their suits and it wasn’t until later we learned of the drugs and the yellow submarine etc. The Stones, on the other hand, came out as cool and more of a tough look. GG says most only saw Mick at the beginning. I think Mick is what the guys saw and loved him for being brash. (and some of the gals) My boyfriend at the time loved the Stones. I always thought Mick was too far out and I didn’t like his looks. I always thought Keith who was just standing there with his guitar looking cute was the best. (So you see this book was enlightening) I’m sure my family would have preferred the early Beatles as marriage material over the Stones, so I agree with this PR statement.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:37 pm

My mother was very fond of the Stones. Her particular favourite was Not Fade Away. She owned all the singles. This was in the days of Radio Caroline and Radio London, when pop music wasn't available on the BBC. (if you are from the US they were pirate radio stations which broadcast from old ships outside British waters to circumvent our broadcasting laws that did not allow advertising)
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:35 pm

My parents (who were born in the late 1920's) were hugely into music - they liked all kinds, from classical to show tunes to rock and roll. Both of them liked the Stones music, my Dad had an electric guitar at one time and learned some of their songs!

I don't think they'd have wanted me to marry a Stone though! I first noticed the Stones in the early 1970's, but I confess I was a die hard Alice Cooper fan in my teens and not much else got played on my turntable. :lol:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I learned to love the 40's big band music through my parents and an appreciation of Frank Sinatra and that group. They pretty much ignored my music or just made fun of it! :lol: The Beatles and the Stones were so different from anything they were used to, it all ran together for them.

Maybe the PR surrounding them as being the bad boys was more noticable in the UK rather than anywhere else, after all thats where it was initiated.

It was quite noticeable here. My parents were just tuned out enough to think all rock and roll musicians were cut from the same bad boy cloth! :lol:

Exactly. I was tuned into the difference between the two bands, until the Beatles began to change their image. But to my parents, it was all bad. My dad called it "Jungle Music," and wouldn't allow me to listen to the Beatles. My parents soon found out that I was not going to accept their sheltering me from the evils of rock 'n' roll. They weren't banking on the Monkees appearing on the scene on TV a year after the Beatles came out. We had many fights over it. I wonder now exactly how long they kept me from watching the Monkees. But it must not have been long. I guess they realized that they could lose me if they denied me this. And then one thing led to another, and they ended up letting me buy records, a tape recorder and a transistor radio. That transistor radio was everything to me.

Later in life my mother admitted to me that the Beatles were actually pretty good. She may have just been going along with my dad, who preferred the big band music. My mother did like Simon and Garfunkel in real time, Firefly, and there was other popular music of the time that she liked - Classical Gas, the Carpenters and such.

nebraska, I understand what it's like when you've got little ones. I lost touch with popular music and movies when my kids were little also.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Well...this wasn't my kind of music when I was a teen. Since I was an Osmond fan, groups like the Stones weren't even on my radar. I knew some of their songs, particularly those that ended up on the Pop Top 40 list, but I didn't have any of their records. Still don't.

A few years ago, a friend and I were sitting around at my folks' house, reminiscing about our teen years, and my mom chimed in and said she was always secretly glad I liked the Osmonds because they were clean-cut and "good," and not those other rock groups that were around back then. So I guess the answer to the question would have been...no.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:18 am

Theresa wrote:Well...this wasn't my kind of music when I was a teen. Since I was an Osmond fan, groups like the Stones weren't even on my radar. I knew some of their songs, particularly those that ended up on the Pop Top 40 list, but I didn't have any of their records. Still don't.

A few years ago, a friend and I were sitting around at my folks' house, reminiscing about our teen years, and my mom chimed in and said she was always secretly glad I liked the Osmonds because they were clean-cut and "good," and not those other rock groups that were around back then. So I guess the answer to the question would have been...no.

:lol: well guess what I was an Osmond fan too but then I discovered Keith and well that was it, goodbye Osmonds .

Thinking back I don't think my parents were too bothered about what we listened to at all the first records we had as I think I've said were some Beatles and the Dave Clark Five they just didn't seem to like the fact that people were into Mick Jagger who they obviously thought was horrible. My father often comes out with a story of us staying up in Scotland at a guest house and that a young woman also staying there, was often talking about this new group whose lead singer Mick Jagger was so wonderful I think it was 1964.
Then a distant cousin came over to see us from Canada and she was on about Mick Jagger also, not sure when that was might have been late 60's. I don't recall either incident myself but it obviously stuck with them so I just never mentioned my interest to them at all :lol:

Return to “Life”