by Keith Richards & James Fox

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life Tidbit #23 ~ The North East

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Cherry Hill, New Jersey

Pg. 395:
We were allowed to rent a house in Philadelphia, where Meg Patterson would treat me every day for three weeks. From there, after her prescribed cure, we moved to Cherry Hill, New Jersey. I was not allowed to move outside a twenty-five-mile radius from Philadelphia, which included Cherry Hill. A deal worked out between the doctors and lawyers and the immigration department. This wasn’t so great for Marlon, however.

Marlon: They let him in to clean up, which is when we went to New Jersey. And I lived with this doctor’s family, this very religious family. That was actually the most traumatic thing, moving from this hotel with all the Stones and everyone into this house in New Jersey with a right-wing Christian American family, a white picket fence and skateboards, and I started going to an American school where you had to say prayers every day. That was really shocking. And I would go and visit Keith and Anita, who were down the road, every few days.

Cherry Hill is a township in Camden County, New Jersey in the Delaware Valley coastal plain. Cherry Hill is considered an edge city of Philadelphia, as it is about five miles southeast of the city.

The municipality was founded on February 25, 1844, in Gloucester County as Delaware Township from half of the area of Waterford Township, and became part of Camden County at its creation some two weeks later on March 13, 1844. At its territorial peak, Delaware Township was composed of modern-day North Camden, present-day Cherry Hill, Merchantville, and Pennsauken (including Petty's Island in the Delaware River).

The township grew explosively after World War II, and continued to grow until the 1980s. Today, the municipality's population is stable with new development generally occurring in pockets of custom luxury homes or through the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of commercial and industrial areas. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township had a population of 71,045. The township ranked as the 14th largest municipality in the state in 2010.

Cherry Hill’s name originated from a 19th-century farm called Cherry Hill on Kaighn Avenue/Route 38 which was owned by Abraham Browning. The farm property later became the Cherry Hill Inn (now an AMC-Loews movie theater complex), as well as an RCA office campus (now a shopping center), and today's Cherry Hill Towers and Cherry Hill Estates housing developments. Adding to the prevalence of the Cherry Hill name, developer Eugene Mori branded several properties similarly, including the Cherry Hill Inn and Cherry Hill Lodge hotels, Cherry Hill Apartments, and Cherry Hill Estates. Cherry Hill Shopping Center (now known as Cherry Hill Mall) opened in 1961 opposite the old Cherry Hill Farm site, featuring 75 stores all in a single enclosed space. In time, the township also sought a new post office, but another New Jersey town already claimed the name Delaware Township. The postal service suggested a name change, and Delaware Township mayors Christian Weber and John Gilmour pursued public write-in campaigns to select possible titles. The name “Cherry Hill” was chosen by the township's citizens in a non-binding referendum in 1961, and was officially adopted November 7, 1961.

Cherry Hill is a "bedroom community" to Philadelphia, Camden, Trenton, and Princeton, where most of its adult citizens work. A lesser number of individuals commute to Atlantic City. However, Pinnacle Foods, Subaru of America and TD Bank, N.A. have headquarters in Cherry Hill.

Click on the following map to see the rest of the locations on one map:

South Salem, NY (Frog Hollow)

Pg. 396:
So we sprung Marlon and moved out of New Jersey to a rented house in South Salem, New York, called Frog Hollow – a classic Colonial-style wooden house, although haunted, according to an increasingly haunted Anita, who saw the ghosts of Mohican Indians patrolling the hilltop.

Lake Waccabuc in South Salem

South Salem is a hamlet in Lewisboro, Westchester County. The county ranks second for wealthiest counties in New York State and the seventh wealthiest county nationally. In the town center is a post office, the town hall, a library and a recycling center.

Besides Keef, notable residents have included the photographer O. Winston Link, the artist Charles Sheeler(American, 1883–1965), the pianist Hélène Grimaud, the artist and filmmaker Ralph Bakshi, the singer and musical stage headliner Sally Ann Howes, and the actress Colleen Dewhurst.

I don’t know if the poster in this forum is reputable, but it’s sure interesting if what she is saying is true:

More photos of the home:

Sands Point, Long Island

Pg. 441:

Marlon: From there we moved to the Mick Taylor--vacated house on Sands Point, Long Island, for about six months. The first filmed version of The Great Gatsby was shot there, in which Sands Point is East Egg, with many acres of lawns and a huge beachfront and saltwater pool, all decaying. We used to hear ‘20s jazz music coming from the gazebo, dinner parties and clinking glasses and laughter that dissipated as you walked towards it. There were certainly mob connections in this house. I found family snaps in the attic of Sinatra and Dean Martin, all the Rat Pack, hanging out there in the ‘50s.

Sands Point is a village located at the northernmost tip of the Cow Neck Peninsula on the North Shore of Long Island in Nassau County, New York. As of the United States 2010 Census, the village population was 2,675. The Incorporated Village of Sands Point is in the Town of North Hempstead.

The village was incorporated in 1910. In 1917, the village absorbed the communities of Barkers Point and Motts Point. It was originally owned by three families, the Sands,Vanderbilts, and Cornwells. In 1910 Daniel Guggenheim bought his 216-acre (0.87 km2)Hempstead House, formerly Castle Gould. His son Harry Guggenheim, founder of Newsday, later erected his estate "Falaise" nearby. Today, the estate is part of the Sands Point Preserve, notable for a medieval fair run by Medieval Scenars and Recreations, Ltd., which is held every September. In the 1960s, under less strict building codes, many homes were built on 1-acre (4,000 m2) parcels. Current zoning allows subdivisions of 2 acres (8,100 m2) or more. The Sands Family Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.

In F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Sands Point was referred to as "East Egg". East Egg residents inherited their fortunes and were considered more respected than the nouveau riche in newer "West Egg" (Great Neck/Kings Point) because Sands Point had "old money." The story's fictional Buchanans lived in the western part of Sands Point. Reports suggest that Fitzgerald – who was often a guest at the mansion of Herbert Bayard Swope on Hoffstot Lane at Prospect Point in Sands Point – used the site as his inspiration for the fictional Buchanan home in East Egg.

Pg. 445:
The landlord never did any maintenance on the place, so it was just getting worse and worse and worse. Once my bedroom became too decrepit, I would move into another one—luckily there were about fifteen of them—until eventually I moved all the way to the attic. It was the last place left! A huge attic space, the size of a cathedral up there, and I had my bed and a TV and my desk, and I would just lock the door and not let anyone else up there. By then we said, we can’t stay here anymore; it’s falling down. Or we’ve destroyed it. So that’s why we moved to the final mansion at Mill Neck, on the edge of Oyster Bay.

The 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) waterfront mansion had originally been built for A.C. Sloane, originally named Keewaydin, had been designed by Stanford White and built in 1902. Demolition of the house "Land's End" began on April 16, 2011. It is to be replaced with a subdivision of five houses tentatively priced at $10 million each. Its owner David Brodsky said it was costing him $4,500/day to maintain and that it was in need of extensive renovations.

CBS news story last April 17, in the midst of “Land’s End” being demolished:

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning-- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Ch. 9

Lighthouse at Sands Point

Mill Neck

Mill Neck is a village in Nassau County, New York in the United States. The population was 997 at the 2010 census.

Fourth Street and Weston, Connecticut

Pg. 521:
When Theodora and Alexandra were born, Patti and I were living in an apartment on Fourth Street in New York City, and it seemed to us that Fourth Street was not the place to bring up children. So we headed for Connecticut and started building a house on land I’d bought. The geology is not unlike Central Park in New York—great flat slabs and boulders of gray slate and granite emerging from the earth, all enclosed by lush woodland. We had to blast tons of rock to build the foundation, hence my name for the house—Camelot Costalot. We didn’t move in until 1991.

I’m assuming this is the same place they lived in on Fourth Street – the Silk Building. Scroll down for the Keith Richards reference:

It is not actually Keef who calls it out as Weston in his book. It was Johnny, based on an article by Beth Landman in New York Magazine:
“Although Johnny Depp has been living mostly in France since 1998, the word on the quiet, tree-lined streets of tony, rural Weston, Connecticut, is that he’s discovered that some things function better back home. …….Depp apparently fell in love with the town when he was visiting his friend Keith Richards, the inspiration for his campy, Oscar-nominated performance in Pirates of the Caribbean (Paul Newman and Christopher Walken also live in the area).”

Weston is a town in Fairfield County. The population was 10,179 at the 2010 census. The town is served by Route 57 and Route 53, both of which run through the town center. About 19% of the town's workforce commutes to New York City, about 45 miles to the southwest.

Like many towns in southwestern Connecticut, Weston is among the most affluent communities in the United States. Data collected in 2008 showed that Weston had the highest median household income in Fairfield County, Connecticut, at US$185,377. Weston's ZIP code (06883) was identified in 2005 as the sixth most affluent area in the U.S.

Aside from a handful of stores that form the town’s center, Weston has little commercial development. Residential development is limited by two-acre zoning. Most of Devil's Den Preserve, a 1,746-acre nature reserve, which gets 40,000 visits a year, is located in the town. Click on the thumbnail:

In the early 18th century, Weston's first English settlers were mostly farmers living in the town of Fairfield, the boundaries of which extended to Weston until the late 18th century. In 1787, the North Fairfield parish was created in the area now occupied by the towns of Weston and Easton. In 1845, North Fairfield was split into two towns, creating Westfield.

A meteor exploded above the town December 14, 1807. Six pieces, totaling 28 pounds, were recovered and examined by scientists, who issued a report. This was the first time that people realized the nature of meteors.

Despite rocky soil, farmers in town grew apples, onions, and potatoes. Grist, cider, lumber, and fulling mills were built. The town had nine manufacturers by 1850, but two decades later only the Bradley Edge Tool Company still thrived. That factory burned down in 1911.

Unlike other nearby towns, Weston never had a railroad built through it, which stifled the development of non-agricultural businesses. Between the Civil War and the Great Depression, the town's population dropped from approximately 1,000 to a low of 670, by 1930. Artists, writers, and actors from New York became attracted to the community in the 30's and began settling in it. Construction of the Merritt Parkway, which arrived to the south of Weston in 1938, resulted in further population growth.

Sources:

hbise.wordpress.com
bbs.keyhole.co
Curbed
New York Magazine
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Wikipedia
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Life Tidbit #23 ~ The North East

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Yes it is Weston .And it backs onto the Devils Den Preserve very nice it is too, have some nice pics of Keith's Library

Liz the Johnny article about Weston won't load for me and I don't think I've read it before

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Hmmmm. It works for me. :perplexed:

Try this:

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Yes, I noticed that pic of the library in his book. Mr. Richards appears to be well-read also.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Liz wrote:Hmmmm. It works for me. :perplexed:

Try this:

Yes, I noticed that pic of the library in his book. Mr. Richards appears to be well-read also.

No it doesn't work all I'm getting is the header for the magazine and a blank page.

Yes, Keith has a very eclectic collection

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:Hmmmm. It works for me. :perplexed:

Try this:

No it doesn't work all I'm getting is the header for the magazine and a blank page.

Yes, Keith has a very eclectic collection

Weird. I'll paste it in:

New York
News & Features

INTELLIGENCER
Johnny Depp: Suburbanite?
Weston, ho!

By Beth Landman Published Nov 6, 2005
Although Johnny Depp has been living mostly in France since 1998, the word on the quiet, tree-lined streets of tony, rural Weston, Connecticut, is that he’s discovered that some things function better back home. In 2003, Depp was quoted saying he didn’t want to raise his kids in the U.S.: “America is dumb, it’s like a dumb puppy . . . I’d like them [his children] to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out.” According to the town rumor mill, Weston’s top-ranked schools attracted Depp, his girlfriend, Vanessa Paradis, and their two kids into returning from their exile. He’s said to have paid close to $10 million for a big white traditional house on nine acres that he’s partly gutted and is doubling in size. Depp apparently fell in love with the town when he was visiting his friend Keith Richards, the inspiration for his campy, Oscar-nominated performance in Pirates of the Caribbean (Paul Newman and Christopher Walken also live in the area). Depp’s rep, Robin Baum, denied that he was becoming a suburbanite.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Liz. So it was one of those rumours that was coming out of Connecticut about him buying a house, one of the million he owns :lol: I don't know why but I always got the impression Johnny hadn't actually visited Keith in Connecticut, that they only met up in New York or LA or other far flung places.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm

All of the places Keith lives are scenic and beautiful. They seem to be secluded either by woods or water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Liz. I grew up on Long Island and hung out extensively in Port Washington which is the closest ordinary place to the whole Sands Point area. I was dating a guy for years whose right-off-the-boat Irish grandfather was a gardener on the estates up there back in the 1920s. It remains an interesting area, close to Long Island Sound, lots of narrow roads with a woodsy feel and you can't see much beyond the gates that you fly past every so often. Then when I was married I lived for a number of years in Mt Kisco which is in Westchester County but a bit southwest of Frog Hollow. Bill and Hilary Clinton have a house in Chappaqua, also close by. Again, nice and extremely wealthy place with a similar feeling: winding lanes, white clapboard houses, horses, although it's not as exclusive at Sands Point. John Cheever lived in the area. There were so many over the top writers up there actually. And finally, it was the only place I ever lived where it seemed that most people's houses were mansions and not new ones, with tiny inbred clusters of ordinary houses, like 1940s Cape Cods and the like, existing at the edges of all this posh style. Yeah, we had a Cape Cod. And of course, my brother lives close to where Keef now lives in Connecticut. Great area for hiking.

Anyway, this time of year always beautiful up there, fall foliage.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 am

Thats interesting firefly that the Clinton's have a house there as Keith is quite friendly with the family :ok:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 am

fireflydances wrote:Thanks Liz. I grew up on Long Island and hung out extensively in Port Washington which is the closest ordinary place to the whole Sands Point area. I was dating a guy for years whose right-off-the-boat Irish grandfather was a gardener on the estates up there back in the 1920s. It remains an interesting area, close to Long Island Sound, lots of narrow roads with a woodsy feel and you can't see much beyond the gates that you fly past every so often. Then when I was married I lived for a number of years in Mt Kisco which is in Westchester County but a bit southwest of Frog Hollow. Bill and Hilary Clinton have a house in Chappaqua, also close by. Again, nice and extremely wealthy place with a similar feeling: winding lanes, white clapboard houses, horses, although it's not as exclusive at Sands Point. John Cheever lived in the area. There were so many over the top writers up there actually. And finally, it was the only place I ever lived where it seemed that most people's houses were mansions and not new ones, with tiny inbred clusters of ordinary houses, like 1940s Cape Cods and the like, existing at the edges of all this posh style. Yeah, we had a Cape Cod. And of course, my brother lives close to where Keef now lives in Connecticut. Great area for hiking.

Anyway, this time of year always beautiful up there, fall foliage.

I find the entire Long Island area fascinating, although I've never been. Always have. I think a lot of my interest comes from the Gatsby book. And of course now there's that new show (which is my favorite show right now) - Revenge. And it takes place in the Hamptons. But I guess they are on the Atlantic side of Long Island.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 am

Yes, the Hamptons are to the south shore of the Island fronting on the Atlantic Ocean, whereas Sands Point, and the house over by Oyster Bay, are both located on the north shore bordering on the Long Island Sound. The Hamptons however are way, way out there, more than one hundred miles from the border of NYC.

And yeah, it's an interesting region, full of history going back to pre-Revolutionary times. My own personal preference is anything New York City, but that's a whole 'nother deal.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “Life”