It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How the Brits Rocked America
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 am 

A new three part series that will be showing from next Friday here in the UK on BBC 4 which might mean it may come over to the States on BBC America I presume at some point.

How the Brits Rocked America: Go West
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long).
When: Friday 27th January on BBC 4
How the West Was Won.
The first part of a series celebrating the success of British rock in America looks at how a British invasion led by the Beatles conquered America in the 60s. The groups were astounded by pizza, skyscrapers and real cowboys while America fell in love with a curious blend of swinging London and ye olde England. With contributions from Paul McCartney and Jimmy Page.

Post subject: Re: How the Brits Rocked America
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:06 am 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
A new three part series that will be showing from next Friday here in the UK on BBC 4 which might mean it may come over to the States on BBC America I presume at some point.

How the Brits Rocked America: Go West
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long).
When: Friday 27th January on BBC 4
How the West Was Won.
The first part of a series celebrating the success of British rock in America looks at how a British invasion led by the Beatles conquered America in the 60s. The groups were astounded by pizza, skyscrapers and real cowboys while America fell in love with a curious blend of swinging London and ye olde England. With contributions from Paul McCartney and Jimmy Page.

Sounds familiar. Wonder if it has aired over here?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 am 

I'll be watching for it!
Thanks for sharing GG! :goodvibes:

"Nice to see you again!" JD NY '09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 pm 

Thanks, GG. I hope it does make it's way over here. I do remember a PBS special some years ago, the name escapes me, but it had to do with the British Invasion and the relationship between American blues and the influence on rock and roll. The insinuation was made that the British Invasion killed off Motown and the roots of rock and roll itself which of course owes a debt to that very genre.

By the way sad news today. Rest In Peace Etta James.
:chill:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 pm 

I watched this programme it wasn't very in depth but had interviews with Peter Noone, Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, Rod Arget and Colin Blunstone and some others I can't remember. It was interesting their take and opinions of the America of the 60's that they found. Things like fashion, they thought Americans were quite behind Europe and Britain , Segregation shocked them , but were amazed by food, things like Pizza and being able to order in. And most Americans thought all British bands came from Liverpool :lol: Peter Noone also commented on the fact that any British band seemed popular in the States even obscure ones that hadn't even been heard of in the UK and were over there touring. :lol: Part 2 next week deals I think with the 70's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:42 pm 
JDZ Administrator

I very much remember that time, as I was still in school. When the Beatles hit in Feb. of 64, our music totally changed. You HAD to be from England to get played on the radio. I remember reading everything I could, about them. A real fun time! I still remember sitting on the floor, listening to their album, staring at the album cover. George was my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 am 

Me too, sleepy! It was a HUGE deal over here and totally changed what we listened to.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]