Tim Powers Q&A #18 and FINAL

Author of ON STRANGER TIDES

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Tim Powers Q&A #18 and FINAL

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 22, 2011 3:59 pm

This is a fun question to end on..... :grin:

ONBC: And then there's the oddly compelling (as in "I can't stop thinking about this, does that make me crazy?") question: "Do you think zombies know they're zombies?"

Tim: That is an interesting question! I bet they're aware that there's something very wrong, but they can't gather their wits to figure out what it is. I bet they dream about their real lives, and are disoriented when they wake up -- more disoriented than usual, I mean. I bet they're always trying to remember something they know is important, but can't quite recall. No fun, altogether.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #18 and FINAL

Unread postby Buster » Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 am

Sort of like supernatural Alzheimers, eh? No fun at all.
I was kind of hoping they were feeling no pain, so out-of-it that their enslavement didn't even register.
Thanks, Tim - now I know one more thing I don't want to be when I grow up!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Tim:I bet they're always trying to remember something they know is important, but can't quite recall. No fun, altogether.

Oh dear...that's how I feel most days. :hypnotic:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Theresa wrote:
Tim:I bet they're always trying to remember something they know is important, but can't quite recall. No fun, altogether.

:harhar:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Theresa wrote:

:lol:
Yeah, those are called senior moments and they seem more common as times goes on. It is a little disconcerting to compare similarities with zombies. :fear:
Where is that fountain of youth when you need it?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 pm

gemini wrote:
Where is that fountain of youth when you need it?

That is just too funny, gemini! :biglaugh:

I had thought the same thing when I read his answer--that it reminded me of myself these days. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 am

This may not be the only place to say this, but since it is worth saying more than once - Thanks, Tim! Not only for a great read, but also for sparking an interesting discussion and adding a wonderful layer to our literary peregrinations. And it is exciting to realise that there are more Tim Powers' out there - this is going to be an exciting summer!

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 am

Buster wrote:This may not be the only place to say this, but since it is worth saying more than once - Thanks, Tim! Not only for a great read, but also for sparking an interesting discussion and adding a wonderful layer to our literary peregrinations. And it is exciting to realise that there are more Tim Powers' out there - this is going to be an exciting summer!

Agreed!

:highfive:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 am

I meant more Tim Powers books out there - I can't imagine there being another Tim! Looking forward to some great reading.

Pearlsgirl

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 am

Yes, thank you Tim! Your insights on writing are invaluable and I'm so glad we all have had the chance to "dip into the fountain waters" of your vast knowledge - so to speak! :bigwink:

Per your advice, I've purchased a big calendar and have jotted down a "schedule" for my story for the next few months. I can already tell how helpful this will be...sort of like step-by-step instructions for building something. I've written it in pencil, of course....always subject to altering some! :lol: Always.

And I've employed your technique of not finishing the sentence at the end of a day's writing...or ending on a big dramatic moment's finish. It seems you can embellish it more, explain it in a slightly different more descriptive and more exciting way after a good night's sleep....at least that's been my experience so far. :ok:

"More Tim Powers" - yes, I like the sound of that. May the creative juices keep flowing! Places on my library shelves need filling!
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 pm

And my great thanks too. I can't imagine anything more fun than reading a good book and then getting a chance to talk to the author about it. I feel very spoiled now. After years of having conversations in my head with many authors of my favorite books, I now find that reality is so much more attractive. ONBC is a wonderful place.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

I guess, then, since FINAL was in all capital letters, that this is where I need to add my thanks to Tim as well. You have given me many things to think about. And even though the movie didn't follow your On Stranger Tides book, having read the book helped me understand the movie because they failed to explain quite a few things on the screen.

And as always, Liz and DITHOT :thankyou: . You two are a real blessing in my life! If I escape Alzheimer's, I may very well have you to thank for challenging my brain with every book.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu May 26, 2011 8:32 pm

:thankyou: To Tim, Liz & DITHOT you have certainly brought more enjoyment and meaning to my reading of OST. Glad you came along for the voyage, Tim!! :toastingpirates:

TimPowers

Unread postby TimPowers » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 am

It's been fun, thank you all!

Return to “Tim Powers”