Tim Powers Q&A #12

Author of ON STRANGER TIDES

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Tim Powers Q&A #12

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 am

ONBC: Did you see allusions to your On Stranger Tides in the earlier Pirates of the Caribbean movies? Were you complimented or a bit surprised by the similarities you found? Did you have any input with the new movie? Have you met the writers or any of the actors?

TIM: A few times I thought, well now, I wonder if that would have been in the movie if it hadn't been in my book -- like the notion of somebody up in the rigging of a mast, holding two poles and working a puppet on the deck below. If there was some influence, I'm complimented! And I had no input at all with the movie -- I have no idea what its plot will be! My wife and I did get to watch them all filming a scene one evening in Los Angeles, and we got to talk a good deal with Terry Rossio, and briefly say hi to Ian McShane and Penelope Cruz and Rob Marshall and Johnny Depp -- they were all very nice!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #12

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 pm

I certainly picked up on a few things, like the trinkets in Johnny/Jack's hair and the strange staggering gait in the movies. I would not be at all surprised if Johnny had read the book!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

nebraska wrote:I certainly picked up on a few things, like the trinkets in Johnny/Jack's hair and the strange staggering gait in the movies. I would not be at all surprised if Johnny had read the book!

I am in agreement with you on this one Nebraska.
I also had flashbacks of Tia Dalma when Tim mentioned that the women in voodoo were stronger.
Also that trip back through the swamps to Tia’s cabin to ask her how to bring Jack back from death sure reminded me of the of the description through the swamps and vegetation to get to the fountain.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 17, 2011 9:54 am

Me too, gemini.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Tim Powers”