It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tim Powers Q&A #11
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:08 pm 

ONBC: Did any of Blackbeard's blood drip through the pier into the water?
(I hope so...)

Tim: Uh .... yes. But maybe he went into a different line of work this time.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Tim Powers Q&A #11
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:34 pm 

I love it! :applause:
He certainly made a big enough footprint in history that he lives on in all of us.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm 

What's wonderful about storytelling is that anyone can leap into the game and carry on where one story ends. So his blood got into the water eh? Hmmmm, well that makes sense. In fact it explains a whole lot, given what we've heard in the past several years from down there, you know, the eastern Caribbean region. Several islands involved from what I've heard, since that first incident, I forget the name of the island where it started now but from what I heard it was as spooky as h*ll but also amazingly beautiful. Do want to tell or should I? Yes, another tale begins.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Go for it, Firefly. Enquiring minds want to know. :rango1:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:35 pm 

Ah lovely! Alrighty then. There's a chill in the air tonight. Let's take the chairs and bring 'em close 'round the fire. Pass the bottle, libations for all! And now, on to the tale. To begin with, I can only relate my part of the story because I was only there for the beginning, and I've not lived down there now for years. I've heard about recent happenings. You have too. But the details of those goings on will have to come from someone other than me. I can only talk about what I heard, what people told me and what I saw. We're talking forty years ago at least. My pappy had a boat. He and my uncle took parties out deep sea fishing off the west coast. I'd just graduated from high school myself and convinced the old man to take me on that year, let me work it then way him and my uncle did. I mean, I always been 'round boats, born with a fishing pole in my hand my pappy used to say. But I wanted to learn the business side, you know? Anyway the whole island back then was a place that you could know like the back of your hand. You know who was shacking with who, who was a lowlife; who would give you the shirt off his back. No one and nothing walked on that island without everyone knowing what was up. So that spring when this guy and his sidekick shows up, it was topic numero uno. Big tall fella with a little scar right by the corner of his eye. Must of been at least 6 ft 5 maybe taller. Wore his hair smoothed back in a ponytail which not many people did back then. Black, black hair and this deep voice when he chose to speak to you. Didn't say much but when he did could hold you spellbound. Quiet but real intense you know? Anyway, I got to know him first cause he kept his boat down aways from my pappy's and we'd see him come and go everyday. You only had to watch him bring that boat of his in once to know that the guy must have been on boats his whole life. I mean, I never saw a guy do it more smooth, every day no matter what the water and wind were doing. And the other one, as short as his master was tall. Yeah, I said master. That's what he'd call call the tall one: master. Rolly polly guy always running to catch up, hustling along with bags and fishing gear, pails, you know it. So anyway, we'd see this guy every morning and again when the boats came in. Strange thing though, no fish. I mean I know no one ever saw a fish come off that boat, no matter how much the little guy was carrying. At first it was well, maybe the guy ain't so smart, don't know much, but then people began to talk, to ask what they did out there every day every kind of weather....

OK. A silly example of storytelling. Without doing real research it's going to be hard to go very far, but the fun is in spinning the tale I think,. And more of us can do it then we might imagine.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:48 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Aye, so this is a made up tale, my lady(Jamaican speak)?

And what island would you be speakin' of?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:48 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Hmm...maybe he's the one who has been teaching the new pirates how to 'do' their pirating. They're certainly bad enough to be part of Blackbeard's crew.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:18 pm 

Geesh, would you believe I forgot which thread I was in when I wrote the above. I only found it again today when I was looking for something else. :-O

But anyway. Yes and no about an island dialect. You've got to go where you are comfortable. Writing and speaking in dialect is something you better be sure you've listened to sufficiently if you want to be able to stand up and say yeah, I can this. For the story I winged off above, I snooped about eastern Caribbean fishing sites and found some charter folks that obviously were island newcomers, apparently US born, and thus felt marginally able to create something that I could feel comfortable doing. The quick location: west coast Barbados, incompletely checked out. (It was late!). But the point is one can jump off and start telling a tale at the drop of a hat and sometimes a character sticks their head out unexpectedly or the line of the story gets under your skin and you find yourself coming back to it. My intention was to riff a bit on the picture in my head of a man telling a tale by a fire on a beach. Why a guy? That's what was there in the old noggin I guess.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]