Tim Powers Q&A #8

Author of ON STRANGER TIDES

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Tim Powers Q&A #8

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 12, 2011 7:54 am

ONBC: Have you been a long time student of voodoo and pirates and the Caribbean or did you do a lot of research for this particular book?

Tim: It was all research I did, after I thought, hey, how about pirates and voodoo? But I didn't know anything more about pirates than what I'd read in "Treasure Island" and "Captain Blood," and all I knew about voodoo was voodoo dolls. Luckily they both turned out to be subjects with lots of cool possibilities!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #8

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Liz wrote:ONBC: Have you been a long time student of voodoo and pirates and the Caribbean or did you do a lot of research for this particular book?

Tim: It was all research I did, after I thought, hey, how about pirates and voodoo? But I didn't know anything more about pirates than what I'd read in "Treasure Island" and "Captain Blood," and all I knew about voodoo was voodoo dolls. Luckily they both turned out to be subjects with lots of cool possibilities!

So just pick a couple of topics out of thin air and research.
Being at the tail end of an English composition class where I have had to write a ten page research paper, all I can say is WOW! That's really ambitious, a whole book requiring research. :stretcher:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I can sort of understand where Tim is coming from. I have never written a book but I do get really involved in the research we do for our tidbits and discussions. I never know where it will lead when I start but it's always interesting to me!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 13, 2011 3:09 pm

We all know that it’s the tidbits and research you both add that makes the noodlemantra book club stand out. I am also sure that Tim has learned that his research and historical facts are a draw to his stories and something he has become known for.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat May 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks, gemini! :blush:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Tim Powers”