Tim Powers Q&A #5

Author of ON STRANGER TIDES

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Tim Powers Q&A #5

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 09, 2011 11:04 am

ONBC: What is it about intertwining science and historical fiction that attracts you?

Tim: Well, I'm always aware that the reader might sit back and realize, "Wait a sec -- zombies? Ghosts? This is all nonsense, isn't it?" -- which is true, of course, but I don't want the reader remembering it in the middle of the story. So I try to shore the story up with real history, and I try to show how magic would have real physical consequences. And there are so many fascinating aspects to science, from physics to genetics, that it's fun to throw in off-hand references to them to sort of bolster the credulity quotient.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #5

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 09, 2011 2:19 pm

There is a whole industry called paranormal writing that seems to prove the appeal here. I have to admit I have been hooked. I don’t like stories that are too predictable and a bit of science fiction adds to the possibilities in a story.
Then when you look at the wonders in real science, it helps your imagination piece together new possibilities.
Historical fiction is great but more fun when you add a bit of magic.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #5

Unread postby Theresa » Sun May 15, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm hooked on those kind of stories too, gemini. I like the thriller/mystery/history books with a healthy dose of paranormal thrown in. I've read most of James Rollins' books...they're like that; and I'm right in the middle of a really good one right now by a Mr. Tim Powers...The Anubis Gates. :ok:

Return to “Tim Powers”