Tim Powers Q&A #1

Author of ON STRANGER TIDES

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Tim Powers Q&A #1

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am

Noodlemantras, today begins the first day of our Q&A with Tim Powers. We are all so fortunate that Tim has been so present here at ONBC before, during and after our discussion. It was great having him participate in our discussion. Thanks, Tim.

We will post a question each day for 18 days.

Enjoy…..

Question #1:

ONBC: Every writer chooses to bring certain elements into his/her work. How did you come upon your style of writing? What did you read that influenced you? Any books that transformed you as a writer?

Tim: I think the best style for writing is the style you're least aware of using -- I just do my best to make the scenes and incidents very clear to the reader, with smells and echoes and shadows, and the result of that is whatever my style is. (I think it's like people with regional accents -- they think they have no accent at all, and everybody else talks funny.)

I've been influenced by lots of very different writers -- H. P. Lovecraft, Kingsley Amis, John D. MacDonald -- but probably the writer I most wish I could be is Fritz Leiber, especially his sword-&-sorcery stories about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #1

Unread postby Theresa » Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I really enjoy reading books that are very descriptive...that put me in the middle of the scene. On Stranger Tides was that way for me, especially in the swamp scenes. I could almost feel the damp, cloying air.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 pm

I agree, Theresa! I felt like I was pulling those roots and limbs out myself. There were also some great descriptive passages on board the ships and the opening voodoo scene made me feel like I was there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri May 06, 2011 8:00 am

(I think it's like people with regional accents -- they think they have no accent at all, and everybody else talks funny.)
:applause2:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Well they do! :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Buster wrote:
(I think it's like people with regional accents -- they think they have no accent at all, and everybody else talks funny.)
:applause2:

This is the best explanation of style I have ever heard! :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 07, 2011 12:05 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Well they do! :grin:

I know. DITHOT thinks my California accent is so weird. :harhar:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm

What accent? Californians don't have accents!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Tim Powers”