TPOF Question #23 ~ Jack's Effects

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TPOF Question #23 ~ Jack's Effects

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 am

What did you think about the stories of how Jack acquired his "effects" - head scarf, sash, compass, etc? Are there other items you are still curious about?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: TPOF Question #23 ~ Jacks Effects

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm

We still don't really know about the compass, only that it came from Tia Dalma.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:05 pm

nebraska wrote:We still don't really know about the compass, only that it came from Tia Dalma.
Yes, and aren't you itching to know why and how?

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm

I loved the stories about his effects...it enriches the experience of watching him for me! :-)

I'm curious about the bone in his hair and the fur pelt he had aquired by the time of AWE....and, of course, the compass.

I suppose the ultimate though is the mummified head of his Mum! :yikes:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 pm

:lol:

I want to know about all of those things. We're a curious bunch, aren't we? :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:22 pm

I enjoyed all of that. Again, Ann did a great job of making the book look like it came before the movies. It was loads of fun learning the back story of his trinkets.

Aiysha created the sash with magical properties, so that was definitely a good bit. Explains a lot about Jack's future escapes. :lol:
The bandana was also a nice touch. :cool:

Johnny and Penny Rose (costume designer) just figured Jack collected bits and bobs from all of his travels. The lace on his wrist was from another admirer.

Tia Dalma mentions in DMC that Jack bartered for the compass. What wasn't mentioned is where the compass originated. Did she "create" it? It also would have been interesting to get Aiysha and Tia Dalma together.

The bone was part of a shin bone of a deer. Johnny mentioned it in one of the POTC extras. He just laughed at the possibilities of how/why Jack would have acquired one. He envisioned wrestling the deer for his dinner. :harhar:

I always figured that Mum's head was shrunk on the cannibal island. At the end of DMC, the easter egg showed the dog as the new chief. In AWE, Teague showed up with the dog, guarding the keys to the code and Mum's shrunken head. I assumed Teague ended up on the island and had to escape like Jack and took the dog with him....just a tad late for Mum. Jack seemed surprised in AWE that Mum was just a head now.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 pm

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:We still don't really know about the compass, only that it came from Tia Dalma.
Yes, and aren't you itching to know why and how?

Yes, I am! His whole backstory with that woman has me very curious! Although, didn't she turn out to be the embodiment of Calypso? who betrayed Davy Jones with Jack? :dunce: I need POTC cliff notes. No wonder Disney had big thick books of details for Ann to comply with.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I was curious about the compass, too. I wonder if Tia Dalma ever went to Kerma, as herself or as Calypso? Way back at the beginning of the book, the powers of the three bracelets are described, and Taharka's bracelet gave the wearer the power of navigation--"of locating whatever it was that the wearer needed. The bracelet's magic would guide him, anywhere in the world, to achieve his quest." (prologue, p. xvi)

I wonder if Jack's compass had a sliver or two of the Heart of Kerma in it?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: TPOF Question #23 ~ Jack's Effects

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 am

Interesting idea! I was curious as well as to why the Tia Dahlma connection was never explained.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Price of Freedom”