TPOF Question #21 ~ Magic!

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TPOF Question #21 ~ Magic!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 am

Let's talk about the use of magic and illusion in the story.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: TPOF Question #21 ~ Magic!

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm

So far all of the Pirates movies have included some sort of unnatural beings or happenings, so it was fitting POF had magic and illusion included. It was pivotal to Ayisha's story, being able to keep her royal beauty a secret was required for her survival and safety. The same with the way the island was hidden, there was no way that Beckett could have been deceived about its location so completely without illusion. As I have mentioned before, the labyrinth kind of got me lost, but it made for a wild and exciting adventure. The magic and the illusion add a lot of spice to the mix.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Agreed Nebraska. :toastingpirates:

Magic, illusion, spectacle and mystery are part of the POTC franchise, so it was fitting that it be included in the book. :fear:

I thought did a great job of using it to further the story and didn't just create great "CGI" effects for the sake of having great "CGI" effects....like Hollywood does.

It was also a very mystical and superstitious period. There were many legends, folklore and unexplained phenomena, so having a woman that could change her appearance or a crazy labyrinth wouldn't be out of place. :hills:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:59 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:Magic, illusion, spectacle and mystery are part of the POTC franchise, so it was fitting that it be included in the book.
I agree with you both. Without the magic, illusion, spectacle and mystery, (as SnoopyDances so ably puts it,) the story would have been disappointing. I think they're essential to a POTC yarn. We're looking for escapism, not realism.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 am

I loved learning that Jack's red striped sash was woven with magical properties of protection. Yeah, I know that's not a discussion of magic and illusion in the story, but I just thought it was a really nice touch.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 pm

I thought so too, theresa. I agree with everyone that it was very in keeping with the films. It also got them out of more than a few scrapes! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Price of Freedom”