TPOF Question #18 - Capturing Jack Sparrow

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TPOF Question #18 - Capturing Jack Sparrow

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 am

Do you feel Ann captured Jack and was able to make his back story believable?

What did you think of Ann’s use of Jackisms?

Where could you hear Jack? Give some examples of Jackisms.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: TPOF Question #18 - Capturing Jack Sparrow

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm

I thought Ann did a great job capturing a younger more trusting Jack Sparrow. Frequently I found myself thinking "Ah, so that's how that happened" or "yep, that's my boy." I can't think of any Jackisms right off hand, but I may check later and see if I made any notes in my book.

Like some have mentioned, I wish we knew more about Jack's mum, his relationship with Teague, how he came to know Tia Dalma and how he obtained the compass, and many other things. I think there is room for a prequel to this prequel to give us even more of his back story.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:43 pm

I thought Ann captured Jack very well. You could see how the movie character was forming in the youthful Jack. Very often, as I was reading, I could "hear" Jack's voice saying the lines in the book. As well as Beckett's and Barbossa's.
The Jackisms that stick out most would be the use of "luv" and "savvy", but you could picture his mannerisms, speech, walk and, eventually, his well-known costume bits very clearly.

But also, she captured his conniving, impersonations, whimsy, love of the sea, etc.

She painted an excellent picture of our guy. :cool: :captainjack:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Not once did I think, "Well, that doesn't ring true" so I think she did a fantastic job of capturing Jack. I really appreciated the amount of thought she put into working out the characterizations and the details of the plots and subplots.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Not exactly a whole lot of controversy on this question, is there, luvs? :captainjack:

Ann certainly did the good captain justice.

I agree with all of you that she put a tremendous amount of thought into the writing of his character in order to make him believable.

Nebraska said,

Frequently I found myself thinking "Ah, so that's how that happened" or "yep, that's my boy.

Exactly! There were times that I thought he was real…..like a real person, and this is his real back story. And I had to snap myself out of it. Well, actually…..I knew he wasn’t real. :bigwink: BUT it was like Ann wrote this story, and Disney decided to expand on it from there with Curse of the Black Pearl. That is how well written it was. :applause:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm

I remember reading the excerpt that Anne posted early on and feeling somewhat concerned. I simply couldn't imagine a non-pirate Jack. I recall thinking no, he'd always be a pirate, no matter what.

So I was most happy to discover that my worries were for naught and that Jack was still completely Jack, just younger, and that scene that I'd read and gulped over fit perfectly when you understood the narrative and how Jack got to be where I found him. In fact I found it rather delightful to have more details to pin onto the cinematic Jack. Always been a bit of a frustration for me, the movies. While I've understood that, by intention, the POC movies are slight of hand if you will, more flash than substance, I always kind of wondered: so what is he really thinking? Thanks to Anne, now we've got a back story and an expanded deck of Jack thoughts, Jack memories, Jack funnies. I swear I can see us twenty years from now insisting that this scene was in one of the movies, or that one or the other one. All signs she got it completely right. It's seemless. Good job!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

I couldn't disagree with anyone on this question. Ann did a wonderful job showing us the young Jack and how his character developed. I too could picture his moves and speech that I was familiar with from the POTC movies.
Savvy!! :captainjack:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm

I had a couple of free moments, so I got out my copy of POF. I didn't have to go far before I found a couple of "Jackisms".

pg 1 "Why is the rum gone?"
pg 3 "you mangy curs"
pg 65 "Savvy?"

But it wasn't just the spoken word. There were actions that I would also consider "Jackisms".
pg 166 Jack rolled his eyes theatrically
pg 167 He was being his most fey, mincing self, an act that he'd found caused most men to underestimate him... often to their regret

And even more, it made me feel right at home that Ann incorporated other things like the monkey, Pintel and Ragetti, the Keeper of the Code, Singapore and many others casually into the story. These items enhanced Jack, even if it wasn't a "Jackism" as such, because they supported events that happened later in the movies and demonstrated how Jack's character was being built. It all flowed together so nicely! (Hope I didn't go too far into forbidden territory)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:21 pm

nebraska wrote:And even more, it made me feel right at home that Ann incorporated other things like the monkey, Pintel and Ragetti, the Keeper of the Code, Singapore and many others casually into the story. These items enhanced Jack, even if it wasn't a "Jackism" as such, because they supported events that happened later in the movies and demonstrated how Jack's character was being built. It all flowed together so nicely! (Hope I didn't go too far into forbidden territory)

Oops. :lol: Maybe you should paste this answer over into today's question. Good examples of Jackisms.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Yes, I am in accord with the group here. Ann captured Jack spot on !!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Yes, I too can only add my agreement with everything that has been said so far.

I was delighted with Ann's interpretation of Jack - I can't imagine he is an easy character to write, retaining as he does, an element of mystery, thanks to the subtleties of Johnny's performance. When I initially started reading, I was expecting more comedic scenes in line with the films, but I soon began to value Ann's more serious approach and quickly realised that she had captured him perfectly. What I love most is that she has flagged up the better side of Jack, revealing his sometimes soft heart and essentially good nature (well...we always knew he was a good man and a good pirate didn't we? :ok: ). I cannot praise enough her handling of the romantic/sexual scenes..I found them very enjoyable to read, and I liked that we knew exactly what was going on without things becoming too explicit - this is just great writing.

It seems that Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio preferred the characters of Will and Elizabeth, and always maintained that the PotC series was Elizabeth's story. I think audiences were much more interested in Jack Sparrow (I know I was!) and (for me), the book has provided invaluable background information, as well as being a hugely enjoyable venture into Jack's heart and world.

Now...if only Disney had commenced the Pirates series with a prequel.........
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:And even more, it made me feel right at home that Ann incorporated other things like the monkey, Pintel and Ragetti, the Keeper of the Code, Singapore and many others casually into the story. These items enhanced Jack, even if it wasn't a "Jackism" as such, because they supported events that happened later in the movies and demonstrated how Jack's character was being built. It all flowed together so nicely! (Hope I didn't go too far into forbidden territory)

Oops. :lol: Maybe you should paste this answer over into today's question. Good examples of Jackisms.

Well, I sort of wondered if I had gone too far. :banghead: But I did feel those things contributed a lot to Jack's character itself, not just to the movies that were to follow this storyline.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:37 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:

Well, I sort of wondered if I had gone too far. :banghead: But I did feel those things contributed a lot to Jack's character itself, not just to the movies that were to follow this storyline.

No worries, nebraska. Your point is well taken, and I would agree. :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Jackslady wrote:What I love most is that she has flagged up the better side of Jack, revealing his sometimes soft heart and essentially good nature (well...we always knew he was a good man and a good pirate didn't we? :ok: ).

Exactly! :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Doesn't this whole thread speak to how brilliantly Johnny created this character? Jack Sparrow, excuse me, Captain Jack Sparrow, is iconic, original, fully realized to the point that he is like no other film character we have ever seen. We "know" this guy, we understand him, we want to know more about him and what makes him tick. Ann did an excellent job taking what makes Jack, Jack and weaving his backstory seamlessly. There are so many little moments , subtle as well as obvious that tell us we are reading about the good Captain. Well done! :toastingpirates:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Price of Freedom”