TPOF Question #14 - Flashbacks or Current

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TPOF Question #14 - Flashbacks or Current

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

Which story did you prefer? The flashbacks or the current?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: TPOF Question #14 - Flashbacks or Current

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 am

:perplexed: I'm not sure I understand the question? The flashbacks are attached to the current story, pieces of a past that help illuminate the current story. I didn't think they were written in a different manner, so it's not how it was written that you're after. Do you mean did we prefer even earlier versions of the characters? I may be missing something very obvious. Did not have coffee yet. :-O
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:29 am

I haven't had my coffee yet either. Need it desperately. :lol:

What I mean is which story did you like better, that of the past or the current? I know that they are intertwined and necessary to the whole, but I personally preferred reading what had happened in the past. I guess that's why I asked the question, because I did have a preference. Maybe I'm the only one? And that's OK.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 am

Two of us, oh boy :lol: And I am still coffee-less.

I preferred the current story then. Definitely nice to learn about the past and without these bits I think the current story would have lost a lot. But, I have to admit I can't see the flashbacks as more than bits from the past, kind of like looking back over your shoulder, so it is difficult to compare these to the entire current story.

I am intrigued as to why you preferred the flashbacks? Who knows, once you are specific about your own 'why' it's possible that others will begin to chime in, myself included.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

I think I prefer the flashback parts as well, Liz, but I will have to think about the "why". :perplexed:

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

I enjoyed both very much. But my preference was for the flashbacks, a) because I liked finding out more about the very young Jack/life at Shipwreck Cove etc and b) because I was entranced by the romance between Jack and Esmeralda, and much of that took place in the flashbacks. But having said that, the whole story was very much entwined and the "current" situation definitely had me on the edge of my seat, particularly when it came to a head between Jack and Beckett and he decided to carrry the slaves.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Still unsure about my answer, but maybe the flashbacks seemed more character-driven and had fewer tangled storylines. Still thinking........

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I guess the book is really a set of flashbacks within a flashback when you consider how we all first me Jack! :lol: I think the flashbacks in the book give us insight into how his character was formed and in the "current" parts of the book we see those traits mature and gel into the Jack we first met on POTC1. As for which I liked best I can't say for sure. I would get equally involved in the part I was reading whether it was a flashback or a part of the current story.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 pm

:perplexed: Hmmmm. Difficult to say.
I enjoyed the flow of the entire book.
I did find myself really getting into the current bit only to be "interrupted" by a flashback. Then the flashback got so interesting, I hated to be "interrupted" by the present. :hypnotic:
I can't say I preferred one over the other. I just think Ann did a beautiful job of weaving all the tails together and that kept me interested, even riveted, during whichever part I was reading at the time. :noodlemantra:

I suppose she could have written two books, as both stories were very good.
I'm sure Hollywood, at least, would've made two movies. :lol:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 pm

I don't think I could separate the parts of the story enough to say which I liked better. They were so intertwined that it would be like asking which of my legs I like more. Umm, I need them both!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:59 pm

nebraska wrote:Still unsure about my answer, but maybe the flashbacks seemed more character-driven and had fewer tangled storylines. Still thinking........

Sorry for not weighing in earlier. Busy day at work.

I didn't know at first either. I had to really contemplate it. But I did figure it out. There are a few reasons.

1) The action was packed into a shorter segment.

2) I was more involved in the back story, just out of interest as to what happened before (for example, why Cutler was the way he was). The back story was always filling in those gaps that I wondered about.

3) Whenever it would switch back to the current story I was left wondering, so what happened next and what more will Ann be telling us about Jack's past? Enquiring minds want to know. ;-)

4) The flashbacks made for a more compelling story for me until I got to the latter half of the book.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:50 am

I agree with everything said here. I think the flashbacks were necessary for the story to work and as Liz said I really liked the backstories that were in the flash backs. I was hoping for one more on Jack that told us more about Teague.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:40 am

I enjoyed both. Can't decide which I liked better. They were intertwined so well!
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:43 pm

I think the flashbacks were necessary to complete the story. And maybe we thought we knew too much since we already are familiar with Capt. Jack. Don't know if this answer makes sence or not and I have had plenty of coffee today!! :perplexed:

Return to “The Price of Freedom”