TPOF Question #10 ~ Girl Talk

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TPOF Question #10 ~ Girl Talk

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 am

Ch. 14 ~ Did you enjoy the dinner conversation concerning Jack between Esmeralda and Ayisha?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: TPOF Question #10 ~ Girl Talk

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 am

I found it hard to identify with that, their apparent willingness to share him between themselves and whoever else might come along. Pirate way of life, I guess? It was a useful story device to show how Ayisha was able to establish a relationship with Jack, using the inside knowledge she received from Esmeralda.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:18 pm

I posted in another thread that I liked how Esmeralda completely understood Jack - she loved him, but knew he was not someone who would ever be interested in a settled life or a committed relationship. She loved him for who he was, and seemed happy to accept the time they spent together was limited etc. I think Ayisha was still quite naive at this point in terms of what can go on between a man and a woman, both sexually and otherwise?

I liked this scene, particularly as Esmeralda described Jack's personality so perfectly. Of the two characters, I preferred Esmeralda, who was a perfect match for Jack... :flashingheart:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:15 pm

I’m with you on this one Nebraska. I guess I am an old fashion girl and see no romance in sharing. When I read this part I had to laugh to myself about how women think. Even though this fit in with the story and made it so all the women loved Jack and vice versa. It was humorous because women are not so sharing. LOL
The one other thought I had was that Ann went to such length in her story to try to point out that Esmeralda and Ayisha were ladies. I suppose compared to the shipwreck cove working ladies who Jack was certainly on a fist name basis with, and this certainly had me wondering.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I thought it was an amusing scene. I guess they both knew neither would ever really call him "hers" and Ayisha seemed to be somewhat surprised at what Esmeralda had to say. It was a good way to explain Jack's character and to show how well Esmerlda knew him and why she continued to care for him. I had to laugh at the scene where Jack found out they had been talking about him...had a funny mental picture of Jack's face! :lol:

P.S. We will be discussing all the ladies in the story tomorrow!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I found this "girl talk" very amusing. I agree that it must be the pirate way when it comes to sharing - but found it to be funny even in pirateland. But both understood that neither could claim him as her own. I am sure when Jack found out about this conversation it made very nervous!!!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 pm

I thought it was lovely. Oddly enough I was moved by the generous spirit, especially because Esmeralda could have gone an opposite route and made Ayisha quite uncomfortable. Instead they had a great giggle together.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:41 pm

It was fun to see them share their insights into "the man." And both were spot on.
it was also gracious of Esmeralda to share her fabrics and such. She realized how out of place Ayisha was on that ship and made her feel welcome and like a princess again.

A very mutual show of respect for them. :ok:

ac crispin

Unread postby ac crispin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I made the two ladies have a good time together because I felt it would be just TOO predictable (and too satisfying for Jack's already inflated ego!) to have them get into a catfight over him. It was much more fun to keep him off-balance, wondering what the devil they'd been saying about him.

This way, Jack was kept off-balance, and Ayisha learned a more...shall we say...worldly...point of view than the one she'd learned at her mother's knee. If it hadn't been for that scene, I don't think Ayisha would have found the courage to sneak into Jack's cabin that first night.

-Ann
-Ann C. Crispin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
Published by Disney Editions, an imprint of Disney Book Group
Release date: May 17, 2011

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am

I loved the way it played out. I hadn't thought of it quite the way you've explained it, Ann. But that's why it's great that you are here to tell us what you were thinking.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:31 am

nebraska wrote:I found it hard to identify with that, their apparent willingness to share him between themselves and whoever else might come along. Pirate way of life, I guess? It was a useful story device to show how Ayisha was able to establish a relationship with Jack, using the inside knowledge she received from Esmeralda.

I agree with you too.

ac crispin wrote:I made the two ladies have a good time together because I felt it would be just TOO predictable (and too satisfying for Jack's already inflated ego!) to have them get into a catfight over him. It was much more fun to keep him off-balance, wondering what the devil they'd been saying about him.

This way, Jack was kept off-balance, and Ayisha learned a more...shall we say...worldly...point of view than the one she'd learned at her mother's knee. If it hadn't been for that scene, I don't think Ayisha would have found the courage to sneak into Jack's cabin that first night.

-Ann

I did like that it kept Jack off balance and found it humorous that he didn't quite know what to do about it.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:36 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I thought it was an amusing scene. I guess they both knew neither would ever really call him "hers" and Ayisha seemed to be somewhat surprised at what Esmeralda had to say. It was a good way to explain Jack's character and to show how well Esmerlda knew him and why she continued to care for him. I had to laugh at the scene where Jack found out they had been talking about him...had a funny mental picture of Jack's face! :lol:

That's what I thought as well!

I sort of related to them, as once I dated the same man as one of my friends (but not at the same time!). It could have been awkward, but instead it was funny when we talked about him later. :lol:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 am

Did he know that? :grin:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Price of Freedom”