TPOF Question #1 ~ The Prologue

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TPOF Question #1 ~ The Prologue

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 am

Time to set sail on our discussion of The Price of Freedom! :bounce:

Just a few basic guidelines as usual. We will post one question per day so please try to keep your answers relevant to that question thread. Do feel free to go back and answer any previous question at any tme! And the #1 rule...er guideline...at ONBC? There are no wrong answers! Let's go!
:sailboat:

The prologue sets the story in motion. Did it pique your interest in what was to come?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Re: TPOF Question #1 ~ The Prologue

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:26 pm

A little bit. I was thinking the Prologue happened a longer time ago and didn't realize it would be woven throughout the story. :dunce:
But I did catch on eventually. :eyebrow:

PS: Congrats on the :baby: ! :applause2:

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:10 pm

It did pique my interest. I enjoy reading about ancient egypt, while this was not about ancient times, I wasn't sure at first what time it was set in with the mention of Pharaohs and gods. It made me wonder what it could have to do with Jack Sparrow, of course the mention of treasure opened up possibilities.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:18 pm

I liked it! It made me feel like I was embarking on an Indiana Jones style adventure. I find Ann a to be a vivid writer, I could picture the palace easily. I confess I was impatient to meet Jack but as I read on I could understand why this prologue was essential to the story.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Yes, I liked it. Piqued my interest about the story.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Yes, I had the same impression of the prologue as Snoopy Dances and Linda Lee, that it was set in ancient times and was the background story for a treasure Jack would be pursuing. I was surprised to find its characters in Jacks day. The background stories were some of my favorites parts of the book.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks for getting us going, Noodlemantras!

I was also surprised to learn that we were in Jack's time. I assumed we were learning about some ancient story and treasure waiting to be discovered. I enjoyed it and I was very impressed at the amount of research Ann put into her work when she chose to use this corner of the world! :cool: It definitely got my attention and made me wonder how Jack was going to be woven into the story!

And thanks, SnoopyDances!
:goodvibes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Johanna

Unread postby Johanna » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey everyone! Um, I hope you don't mind me jumping into this conversation. I've never done one of these before, but Radwen and I have had our eye on "Price of Freedom" for a while, so I was excited to read it. I had a bit of a late start, so I'm only about halfway through, but I hope to be able to keep up with the discussions.

I really liked the prologue! Things with a touch of mythology about them have always really interested me. I had a feeling from the beginning that it may have been in Jack's time, but I think that was partially because I read the book write-up before buying it on my Kindle. :blush:

I liked the way A.C. was able to weave in the magical/mythical elements into the story in a way that piqued interest without becoming too heavyly saturated in the mystique of it all, so to speak. A lot of stories dealing with magic end up becoming off-putting or bogging the story down. This one, in true POTC fashion, wove the magic themes in nicely and tied it in with the "nautical adventure" type stuff we have all come to expect from our dear captain. :capnjack:

Whew! Johanna went into a long-winded writing rant again, didn't she? :biggrin: Long story short, the prologue excited me for setting sail with the rest of the story!

Can't wait for the next question! - Johanna :disco:
Hi Mom! (a.k.a. Radwen)

"Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice Kingsley

"You may kill me, but you may never insult me." - Jack Sparrow

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Has anyone read anything by Elizabeth Peters / Barbara Michaels? (Was it in a tidbit that I read that she and Ms. Crispin are friends?) The writing style of the prologue is very similar to that of Elizabeth Peters in her Amelia Peabody series, and since I adore those, that's very high praise. Of course I was eager to continue!

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Welcome to the ONBC :ONBC: TPOF discussion, Radwen and Johanna! The more the merrier! :biggrin:

I was also surprised by these Egyptians being in more modern times, being as the reign of the pharaohs ended over a 1000 years ago. What ever this beginning had to do with the rest of the book, I had no real idea where the story would go from there. I did guess that Jack might have reason to search for one of the magical bracelets, just no idea quite why or how.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm

I, too, was surprised when the events in the prologue turned out to be so integral to the rest of the story. I certainly was intrigued by the prologue and eager to get on with the book.

Fansmom, I also love the Amelia Peabody series, so I grabbed my book to take another look to see if I agreed with you about the writing style. I always read dedications, but I don't even remember reading this one at all. The book is dedicated to Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters! Crispin says "Two years ago, when I reread the following lines from the novel [The Last Camel Died at Noon], the final pieces of my story fell into place: "But Zerzura is mentioined in other sources; the name probably derives from the Arabic zarzar, meaning sparrow, so Zerzura is 'the place of the little birds.'"
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Bix wrote: I always read dedications, but I don't even remember reading this one at all. The book is dedicated to Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters! Crispin says "Two years ago, when I reread the following lines from the novel [The Last Camel Died at Noon], the final pieces of my story fell into place: "But Zerzura is mentioined in other sources; the name probably derives from the Arabic zarzar, meaning sparrow, so Zerzura is 'the place of the little birds.'"
Thanks, Bix, I knew I had read that somewhere!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:38 am

Johanna, welcome to your first ONBC discussion. And SnoopyDances, I think that this is your first ONBC discussion too? We're glad to have both of you here.

I was very intrigued by the prologue because it was not what I was expecting because I would not expect anything Egyptian figuring into the story line. I knew, though, that it must be integral to the story....I was just very curious as to how.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:54 am

I am so impressed with the depth of Ann's research and the obvious love and care she put into this book. I think the story is particularly appealing to women as well, featuring as it does, strong female characters and plenty of exploration of Jack's inner feelings. Apologies if I'm stereotyping how women react by the way, I guess I can only base my response on how I feel!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am

fansmom wrote: The writing style of the prologue is very similar to that of Elizabeth Peters in her Amelia Peabody series,

This struck me, as well. I think the prologue was effective in setting the stage, stylistically as well as launching the plot. I'm going to fess up here, and say that I am not big fan of romance writing. I'm looking forward to the discussions - maybe you guys can change my mind.

Return to “The Price of Freedom”