ON STRANGER TIDES Movie - Compare to the book **SPOILERS**

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ON STRANGER TIDES Movie - Compare to the book **SPOILERS**

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 20, 2011 1:29 pm

After having recently read & discussed the book, On Stranger Tides, we would like to hear your thoughts on how the movie compared to the book.

NOTE: For discussion of the movie by its onesies, there has already been a thread started on the Porch:

WARNING: There be spoilers here.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Re: ON STRANGER TIDES Movie - Compare to the book **SPOILERS**

Unread postby Bix » Fri May 20, 2011 11:16 pm

DITHOT and I went to see POTC:OST this morning and I can only speak for myself in saying there wasn't much of Tim's book there. (I'm sure I will be educated on this as others point out many similarities!) Anyway, we noted that Blackbeard had magic - although I didn't know it was connected to his sword in this story until Barbosa demonstrated that. And there were the zombies, but no reference to voodoo. The jungle surrounding the fountain was somewhat similar to what Tim described in the book, but not nearly as sinister. The trip to Tia Dalma's was way more like what I envisioned from this book. As I said, I'm sure there was more, but we were glad to see the very large "Suggested by the novel by Tim Powers" or whatever it said early in the crawl.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat May 21, 2011 10:25 am

I agree, Bix. I expected the jungle scene and the arrival at the Fountain of Youth to be more like Tim's book. There was definitely less voodoo, but then it had used quite a bit in #2 so maybe that is why. The story was also altered as to why Blackbeard was so intent on finding the Fountain of Youth. So far I'm just picking up things that were different, not many similarities. It was good to see Tim get a nice big credit!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 am

Didn't Tim say in an interview that only Black Beard and the Fountain of Youth were used from the book, but very little else? :perplexed:

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Tim's book was more inspiration than anything else. I didn't expect much from the book to be used in the film. But, I did think that the look and portrayal of Blackbeard to be very close to OST. I was hoping for more voodoo, too. Concerning the way that anyone had to get to the fountain, I think that Tim's use of physics in the book influenced the "drop of water going up" and the "entrance" to the part of the cave in which the fountain was housed.

At least there were a few zombies on Blackbeard's ship! :lol:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Boy was I wanting to see Tim's territory of the Fountain, but it would have been such a departure in feel, in context. What they did was fine (although very, very small). And the water drop was a wonderful little gift. When Jack went to fill up the chalices with water I remember looking at the thin, conventionally liquidy stream and thinking "it needs to be heavy, to be thick and to disobey all laws of motion!"

Yes the portrait of Blackbeard seemed to arrive fairly intact, missed his sidekick however (the speechless guy).

But for me, I still think the writers lifted stuff out of Tim's books way before OST. Didn't they approach Tim shortly after the POC #1? The bare bones of Capt Jack are there in Phil Davies, the "feel" of the relationship between Phil and his crew seems translated right onto the whole POC series. Someone else mentioned the hair trinkets but also the ragbag romance of what the pirates wore. I think Tim's book offered a primer in how to translate "pirating" into something that would be attractive to today's audiences. I mean before Tim we have Errol Flynn and then Treasure Island and we're back in the 1950s. Tim DEFINED where you can go with pirates now in this time. And good deal that they thanked him publically in big letters this time out.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 21, 2011 7:48 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I agree, Bix. I expected the jungle scene and the arrival at the Fountain of Youth to be more like Tim's book. There was definitely less voodoo, but then it had used quite a bit in #2 so maybe that is why. The story was also altered as to why Blackbeard was so intent on finding the Fountain of Youth. So far I'm just picking up things that were different, not many similarities. It was good to see Tim get a nice big credit!

There was a bocor. Wasn't the guy that CJS asked whether he'd survive the jump into the water a bocor?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 21, 2011 8:15 pm

There actually was an almost exact quote from the book by Blackbeard.

In the movie he was threatening to shoot Jack for starting the mutiny. Jack was lying down on the deck and I can’t remember if Jack asked him why or if Angelica asked him not to, but Blackbeard’s response was:

“If I don't kill a man once in awhile, people forget who I am.”

Blackbeard said basically the same thing in the book on pg. 248 (Chapter 20) when Israel Hand asked him why he shot him in the knee:

“Hell – if I didn’t shoot one of you now and then you’d forget who I was.”

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 pm

I was disappointed that Blackbeard didn't have the glowing fire sticks in his beard and hair!

Actually, I didn't see a lot of similarities to the book, although I think the POTC series has used lots of little bits and pieces of the book through all four movies.

What really surprised me was the movie's use of Blackbeard's magic and the zombie and the voodoo doll with little or no explanation whatsoever. Also, Barbosa said proudly that he was a "privateer", not a pirate, and to the average person that would mean nothing. I am so glad I was here, read the book, read the tidbits, followed the discussion - it added a great deal to my experience watching the movie, even if the story was very different.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu May 26, 2011 6:18 pm

nebraska wrote:I was disappointed that Blackbeard didn't have the glowing fire sticks in his beard and hair!
I think he did have them the first time he appeared onscreen.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:I was disappointed that Blackbeard didn't have the glowing fire sticks in his beard and hair!

Someone else mentioned seeing them. I will have to be more observant when I go see the movie again next week.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am

nebraska wrote:
fansmom wrote:

Someone else mentioned seeing them. I will have to be more observant when I go see the movie again next week.

When he first emerges from the darkness of his cabin, keep a weather eye.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 am

Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I agree, Bix. I expected the jungle scene and the arrival at the Fountain of Youth to be more like Tim's book. There was definitely less voodoo, but then it had used quite a bit in #2 so maybe that is why. The story was also altered as to why Blackbeard was so intent on finding the Fountain of Youth. So far I'm just picking up things that were different, not many similarities. It was good to see Tim get a nice big credit!

There was a bocor. Wasn't the guy that CJS asked whether he'd survive the jump into the water a bocor?

After that scene, that's what I thought he was, too.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 pm

moviemom wrote:
Liz wrote:

After that scene, that's what I thought he was, too.

According to Scrum that guy was zombified by Blackbeard but they did seem to endow him with some traits like predicting the future that seemed more of a bocor so in the film he seemed to have been both. Sort of like Blackbeard was also the father who would have used his daughter like Hurwood did in the book. They sort of combined two villains into one.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 am

nebraska wrote:Also, Barbosa said proudly that he was a "privateer", not a pirate, and to the average person that would mean nothing. I am so glad I was here, read the book, read the tidbits, followed the discussion - it added a great deal to my experience watching the movie, even if the story was very different.

Exactly! I thought the same thing too. I was so glad that I knew the difference when he said that--which I only learned in the last month or so. But here's the question, did we learn that in OST or in The Price of Freedom?

Return to “On Stranger Tides”