OST Question #25 - The Movie

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

OST Question #25 - The Movie

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Have you wondered how On Stranger Tides (the movie) will interweave On Stranger Tides (the book)? What scenes can you imagine that you would like to see in the movie, if any of them are, in fact, used?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: OST Question #25 - The Movie

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Funny I was talking about this very subject this morning with my daughter who asked about the book. My answer is based solely on the small amount we've been able to glean about the movies' plot from Disney and the like. I see two things mainly: Blackbeard and the journey to the Fountain. I look forward to Blackbeard's appearance and what Tim has drawn for us here. My only wish is for a younger Blackbeard. I think the character is more poisonous as a younger man, more interchangeable with Sparrow, more potent as an image. But I get the feeling that since the movie's Blackbeard is Penelope Cruz's dad we're going an older route. Could work, just not how I see it. The Fountain. What will they do with the Fountain? I'm not sure. How does a missionary fit? I can imagine adding that element but what the fountain represents might then be altered, more cartoony, more Disneyfied. This fountain that Tim has created is, I guess I would say deeply mythic -- connected to ancient mythology, to literature, to science. I don't see Disney as sticking with any of this however, perhaps they will use some of the descriptive elements. But again, I am open and would love to see as much of the Fountain journey carried into image, into spoken reality.
Last edited by fireflydances on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:46 pm

The Fountain. What will they do with the Fountain? I'm not sure. How does a missionary fit? I can image adding that element but what the fountain represents might then be altered, more cartoony, more Disneyfied. This fountain that Tim has created is, I guess I would say deeply mythic -- connected to ancient mythology, to literature, to science. I don't see Disney as sticking with any of this however, perhaps they will use some of the descriptive elements. But again, I am open and would love to see as much of the Fountain journey carried into image, into spoken reality.

I'm with you on this, firefly. It would be impossible to film my vision of the fountain, so I'm hoping that they come up with something I can enjoy on another level.
Something I know they can do well is the sea battles, so I'm really looking forward to those. Especially with swords!
Blackbeard was in his late 30's when he died - guess we'll have to believe he was an early bloomer ;-) .

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I tend to agree that my inner image of the fountain from the book will likely be different from the film. I don’t see them using the plants to overwhelm the pirates since it would be too similar to the fish growing over Davy Jones crew in the other film. I think they will use the magic and probably the souls trying to inhabit them and the smoke to deter them, as it’s so Blackbeard. Likely they will use the voodoo since it fits with earlier magic. My image of the fountain is sort of another realm and I don’t know how they could create it as well on film as in the book. We know from sneak peeks they have added a mermaid so they will be using magic of many kinds.

Yes, I agree about Blackbeard’s age. There were not many pirates who survived to old age.

As for what I wish they would take from the book, I hope they add the bocors and keep that real mystical magic feel of the book. I would like Stede Bonnet, or Phil Davies but I don’t think they will add any more swashbucklers, with Barbosa, Jack, and Blackbeard. I agree it may be more Disney like and I for one will miss the anti heros of the book who might just stab someone with their cutlass for no reason.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “On Stranger Tides”