OST Question #24 - Book Description

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

OST Question #24 - Book Description

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:38 pm

How would you describe the book to a friend who was interested in reading it?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

moviemom

Re: OST Question #24 - Book Description

Unread postby moviemom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:07 pm

OST is a tale about pirates and adventure that you can read more than once and still enjoy. The historical facts are nicely woven into everything. It's got unexpected twists and turns in the story so it's hardly boring at any given point.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for starting us off, moviemom.

It is definitely not boring. And I have to agree that it is a book that you can read over and over again and still enjoy it. I read a couple chapters twice.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 am

Well, I guess you tell people to read a book for all sorts of reasons, because you found it a compelling story or striking portrait of someone, or written so lushly you floated on the words, or scary, haunting, romantic, funny etc. What struck me most about OST was the sheer creativity -- coming up with a tale that takes real people out of history and dances them into a world with its roots in a really trippy fantasy -- yeah, that's different, that's definitely worth the read. Never read 'steam punk' before, had not a clue what I was walking into. I will read others; I really liked the notion of taking real history and skewing it a tad. After all what we accept as 'real' is still largely an invention of time, of culture. Oh, and I also liked the science stuff -- although I still feel I am only grabbing a portion of it -- I just like being exposed to stuff I guess, and I would tell a friend the same: expand your mind!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:20 pm

It's a tale of pirates and magic and ghosts, with a shot of adventure and romance and danger. It is mystical and fantasy, about a struggle for power among men with supernatural powers, and a frightening look at what happens when deranged men go too far. It is good writing, vivid descriptions, wonderful words.

Not so crazy about history and real people being put into fiction, so I probably wouldn't mention that part, I would just suggest somebody read the story because it is a good read and an exciting tale. I think people can go really deep into hidden meanings, like the numerical labyrinth of the Fountain, or they can just enjoy reading a fun bit of fiction. I prefer the latter - guess I didn't really want to think too hard this time around. The thing about OST is that you can read it either way and enjoy it.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Some critics classified Glass Books of the Dream Eaters as steampunk. The author, himself, didn’t know if he would classify his story as such.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Interesting -- the steam punk part. I didn't realize that! And yes, you can read this book many ways which is really nice.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:51 pm

nebraska wrote: The thing about OST is that you can read it either way and enjoy it.

This is true, nebraska.

But for me, the selling point would be that it is a good story because it is based on real people. I love stories like that.

So I guess I would describe it as historical fiction focusing on pirates and voodoo magic, with a bit of romance thrown in. It’s full of adventure and surprises.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Liz wrote:Some critics classified Glass Books of the Dream Eaters as steampunk. The author, himself, didn’t know if he would classify his story as such.

I loved Glass Books when we read it! :bounce:

Return to “On Stranger Tides”