On Stranger Tides Question #17 ~ Voyage to The Fountain of Youth

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: On Stranger Tides Question #17 ~ Voyage to The Fountain of Youth

Unread postby gemini » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm

I have a bit of time here to ponder everyone’s view of the fountain. I had my own feel for it as I read that is somewhat different from some of what you ladies felt. As for motion, I thought of a lack of motion. Maybe a lack of all of Newtons laws applied. Nothing there was the same for any of them. Each, like Jack, seeing their own view of what was there. The rules seemed to have went haywire as the neared, with metal heating, ghosts more aggressive etc. As someone described death, it was as if they walked through a door to an alter universe where nothing known applied. The same as what makes magic or miracles appealing, a feeling of happenings that don’t follow the known rules.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Very interesting everyone! Keep discussing if you are so inclined! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, all I needed was a little invite to get back in the water. I am still stuck on motion (strange metaphor that!) In any case knowing very little about physics, I am reflecting in the simplest way possible on the implications of how things seemed different at the Fountain. We've gone back and forth about whether there is an absence of motion or perhaps a change in the laws of motion, or a relativization in the laws, etc. So tonight spurred into motion (oh gee!) by the most recent comment by gemini, I decided to investigate 'why' metal would get hot, i.e. what's the physics of the thing? Maybe understanding that would help me understand the phenomenon of motion.

Here's what I found: "Heat is the energy in the motion of atoms. Motion can be translational, like the motion of atoms in a plasma or a gas or a liquid. It may be vibrational, such as the oscillatory motion of atoms within a molecule or a solid matrix, or it may be rotatory motion, i.e. motion due to rotation of atoms within a molecule about a particular axis. Temperature, then is a measure of the intensity of this motion. It depends on the average velocity of molecules in a gas, or the average vibrational frequency of atoms in a solid."

So, if I am reading this correctly, since everything made of metal became mad hot in that wide open area before they reached the Fountain, atomic motion must have become dramatically faster at that point. They stop and remove anything containing metal. Later at the Fountain itself, Phil points out to Jack that there is no longer any 'hot metal' smell that signals magic and Jack himself becomes aware of this sense of 'no motion' but obviously they are all moving and when Jack looks at the Fountain it is full of agitated water.

:-O Gee, too bad they left all their metal back on the plain. :-O We could use it to evaluate the presence or absence of atomic motion at the Fountain.

:perplexed: So, have I added anything useful to the discussion of or muddied the stagnant waters further?

And, because magic exudes that hot mental smell, does magic 'work' by speeding up atoms?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:00 pm

fireflydances wrote:Well, all I needed was a little invite to get back in the water. I am still stuck on motion (strange metaphor that!) In any case knowing very little about physics, I am reflecting in the simplest way possible on the implications of how things seemed different at the Fountain. We've gone back and forth about whether there is an absence of motion or perhaps a change in the laws of motion, or a relativization in the laws, etc. So tonight spurred into motion (oh gee!) by the most recent comment by gemini, I decided to investigate 'why' metal would get hot, i.e. what's the physics of the thing? Maybe understanding that would help me understand the phenomenon of motion.

Here's what I found: "Heat is the energy in the motion of atoms. Motion can be translational, like the motion of atoms in a plasma or a gas or a liquid. It may be vibrational, such as the oscillatory motion of atoms within a molecule or a solid matrix, or it may be rotatory motion, i.e. motion due to rotation of atoms within a molecule about a particular axis. Temperature, then is a measure of the intensity of this motion. It depends on the average velocity of molecules in a gas, or the average vibrational frequency of atoms in a solid."

So, if I am reading this correctly, since everything made of metal became mad hot in that wide open area before they reached the Fountain, atomic motion must have become dramatically faster at that point. They stop and remove anything containing metal. Later at the Fountain itself, Phil points out to Jack that there is no longer any 'hot metal' smell that signals magic and Jack himself becomes aware of this sense of 'no motion' but obviously they are all moving and when Jack looks at the Fountain it is full of agitated water.

:-O Gee, too bad they left all their metal back on the plain. :-O We could use it to evaluate the presence or absence of atomic motion at the Fountain.

:perplexed: So, have I added anything useful to the discussion of or muddied the stagnant waters further?

And, because magic exudes that hot mental smell, does magic 'work' by speeding up atoms?

Very good point, I neglected to think of the motion of those tiny little atoms. :cool:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “On Stranger Tides”