On Stranger Tides #14 ~ Postcards from the Caribbean

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

On Stranger Tides #14 ~ Postcards from the Caribbean

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 am

The book at times is very descriptive of place and time. Did any such passage stand out for you?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Re: On Stranger Tides #13 ~ Postcards from the Caribbean

Unread postby gemini » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 pm

This is one of those times when I wish I still had the book around. My memory isn’t very helpful here. I am sure there were some places and dates that I noticed while reading because I usually watch for things to get my head in the right place and time.

I will say that I know I was more aware of places like the blockade
of South Carolina harbor, or Okracoke inlet that rang bells as real places in Blackbeards history.

As for dates, I did try to get a handle on the time from the birthdates
he provided of Jack and his father. The only other names and dates I tried to notice were the ship names and battles they were lost in.

For anything specific I will have to leave that to someone with the book on hand or much better memory than I have.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm

No worries, this is one of those questions that can be answered at any time. I know some folks will want to go back and find certain passages when they have time.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm sure there are others but I recall underlining this one here as soon as I read it. I'll do it now and come back later with others, as you already suggested --- I have been marking geometry tests for 3 hours and the brain is slightly fried. I am going to quote a slightly larger portion, just for context, and then highlight what I liked best.

Chapter 6

Shady was proud of the way he could scramble around on decks and in the rigging now, and of the fact that -- though many of the pirates protested against these energetic activities -- he was only pleasantly tired when the lowering, ambering sun began to bounce needles of gold off the waves ahead.....

I loved "ambering sun" -- I really could see that one. Now if all Tim's writing was as descriptive as this brief image of a ship on the water as the sun goes down, it wouldn't work at all for me. I think weaving intense color here and there, mingled within longer passages that are very honed down (to the necessary) allows the writer to create images for his reader without slowing the process. Too much description, you lose the focus.

Will return when brain is rested.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: On Stranger Tides #14 ~ Postcards from the Caribbean

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 am

I really liked this passage from pg. 349, Chapter 29:

The hot punch, tart with lemon and cinnamon, reminded Shandy of Christmases in his youth, hurrying with his father through the snowy streets of some European city to the warmth of the inevitable rented room, where his father would prepare at least a token Christmas dinner and drink over the fire that raised sparkling reflections in the glass eyes of the dozens of hanging marionettes. None of these memories—his father, snowy winters, or marionettes—were pleasant subjects for his thoughts, and he forced himself to
concentrate on his present surroundings.

I could taste the tartness of the lemon, smell the cinnamon and feel the warmth of the hot punch and the warm room against the harsh contrast of the cold snow. I could feel the magic of Christmas through the marionettes. So I was really surprised to read on further to find out that these were not pleasant memories.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “On Stranger Tides”