On Stranger Tides Question #11 ~ Other Characters

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

On Stranger Tides Question #11 ~ Other Characters

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 am

The story is full of interesting characters. Other than the ones we have already discussed, did you have any favorites or any you would like to talk about?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Re: On Stranger Tides Question #11 ~ Other Characters

Unread postby Buster » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 am

Woefully Fat!
One of my favorite characters ever - powerful, comic, spiritual, a true romantic, good to his friends...and awesome in his focus! Great name, great character - and just how "deaf" do you think he really was?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

He was an interesting character! Great name, mysterious. Buster, I think he heard a lot more than he let on, part of his mystique. He would be fun to see in the movie. I liked Ann Bonny as well, another real character thrown into the mix.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 pm

I thought another interesting real fellow was Charles Vane who in fiction was very much like his real self. He was a pirate who wanted nothing to do with amnesty and happy as a pirate. I liked Anne Bonny too. He seems to have left her as much like her real self as possible as well as Calico Jack Rackham, the fancy dresser. As for the fictional characters, I always wanted a bit more on why the one fellow always said “ I’m not a dog”.

And yes Buster I agree there was much more to Woefully Fat, than met the eye.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

I agree there was much more to Woefully Fat, than met the eye.
:biggrin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 pm

When I was working on tidbits I had a great time discovering how many real people and events were included in the story, even in small details.

gemini, I wondered about the dog reference too. I found an excerpt from an interview with Tim Powers:

Now, about Mr. Bird. He has a catch phrase throughout the book, "I am not a dog." Is there a hidden meaning or an inside joke there?

-TP “I meant it to be a random complaint that a half-crazy person would fix on, but in fact Mr. Bird is based on a homeless guy who was always around our apartment in Santa Ana when I was writing the book -- any time he was frustrated or annoyed by anything, he invariably expressed it by insisting that he was not a dog.”

Interview excerpt from novelchatter.com:

Wow! What a ride!

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:When I was working on tidbits I had a great time discovering how many real people and events were included in the story, even in small details.

gemini, I wondered about the dog reference too. I found an excerpt from an interview with Tim Powers:

Now, about Mr. Bird. He has a catch phrase throughout the book, "I am not a dog." Is there a hidden meaning or an inside joke there?

-TP “I meant it to be a random complaint that a half-crazy person would fix on, but in fact Mr. Bird is based on a homeless guy who was always around our apartment in Santa Ana when I was writing the book -- any time he was frustrated or annoyed by anything, he invariably expressed it by insisting that he was not a dog.”

That's interesting about Mr. Bird. I thought he was in there for comic relief or something. :lol:
Besides Woefully Fat, I liked the inclusion of Venner, Skank, Mr. Bird, and "Sawney" in the story. I especially liked the "govenor" since the whole tale of the Fountain of Youth starts with him, Ponce de Leon.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Interesting little tidbit, DITHOT.

Woefully Fat's name cracked me up.

I liked Skank. I thought he was a bit simple, but very loyal. A real person.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:29 pm

I wonder if Sawney wasn't a little nudge to remind us that achieving our dreams may not actually be all that great. He found the Fountain of Youth, and look how he ended up!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm

A cautionary tale to be sure! Were you surprised at his true identity? I certainly never saw it coming! :-O I guess the clue was there in that his nickname was "Governor".

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:A cautionary tale to be sure! Were you surprised at his true identity? I certainly never saw it coming! :-O I guess the clue was there in that his nickname was "Governor".

I kept thinking that Sawney would turn out to be someone who seemed to have been around long enough to understand what was happening better than Jack, but I also didn’t come up with Ponce de Leon. By the time I made the connection with him being Governor, I had read the book. Tim got me on that one too. I agree with Buster that he was a lesson on immortality not being all that great, but then I guess so were all of those who had it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Buster said: Woefully Fat! One of my favorite characters ever - powerful, comic, spiritual, a true romantic, good to his friends...and awesome in his focus! Great name, great character - and just how "deaf" do you think he really was?
Ha! I think it was a useful strategy for the guy. I loved him too.

Also enjoyed Mr. Bird and his endless refrain, Skank, Sawney and Venner and was blind sided for no good reason by the "govenor" Couldn't believe I missed something so obvious. Very much like the peculiarities that Tim brings into his characters, memorable devils all!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “On Stranger Tides”