It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: OST Question #10 - Stede Bonnett
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 am 
JDZ Moderator

What does Stede Bonnett's character mean to the story? What is your opinion of him?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: OST Question #10 - Stede Bonnett
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 pm 

He was one of the people, alive and dead, that Blackbeard used and controled through magic or other means. Bonnett didn't enjoy being Blackbeard's puppet. I felt a tiny bit sorry for him since he did try to help Beth and even prefer to be killed than continue to be controled by Blackbeard. But, I also thought he got himself into that mess by his own choosing.

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 pm 

I found it interesting when I read his true story to compare the character in the book to what we knew about the real pirate. He left his gentlemanly, plantation owner life to be rid of his shrill, controlling and complaining wife (or so the story goes) only to be stuck yet again under someone else's control. Life with Blackbeard might have made his life at home seem pretty darn sweet. :lol: Part of me wanted him to stand up and be stronger but in the face of Blackbeard and the magic what could he really do?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 pm 

Like Dithot, when I thought of Bonnett, I tended to make comparisons to the real life version and Tim’s character. I liked the similarities, the wife he left behind and his leaving the life of an honest plantation owner to live the life of a pirate.
In real life and fiction, he seemed to want the adventure but was not cut out to be a pirate. Blackbeard took advantage of him in both versions. It’s easy to see Stede's motivation and even understand his wanting to change his life but not being strong enough to succeed.

As for his meaning in the story, he was the means of showing us how powerful Blackbeard truly was.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:06 pm 

gemini wrote:
Like Dithot, when I thought of Bonnett, I tended to make comparisons to the real life version and Tim’s character. I liked the similarities, the wife he left behind and his leaving the life of an honest plantation owner to live the life of a pirate.
In real life and fiction, he seemed to want the adventure but was not cut out to be a pirate. Blackbeard took advantage of him in both versions. It’s easy to see Stede's motivation and even understand his wanting to change his life but not being strong enough to succeed.

As for his meaning in the story, he was the means of showing us how powerful Blackbeard truly was.

Exactly! I meant to say that... :shy:

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 am 

Sorry to arrive so late! Yes, I agree with his purpose. Have to admit the guy bugged me, such a wimp. Now that's not far is it because he really was in the thrall of someone else. I thought he was a well written character however as he absolutely came across as not completely there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:34 am 

I agree that one of the purposes of having him in the story was to illuminate how powerless the targets of magic really were. However, I think Bonnet was a victim anyway - with or without magic, both in the book and in real life. He, in some ways, was the real puppet in the story.He was manipulated by his wife, the government, Blackbeard, and even Beth Hurwood (who wasn't exactly a domineering type while she was under the spells of her captors).
It made me think that Bonnet was pretty spineless, overall. There's something just wrong about a wanna-be pirate captain who is an incompetent sailor - Bonnet, in real life, was a plantation owner, not a seafaring type. He was out of his league with Teague ;-) and I find the number of times he waffled back and forth from "law-abiding(ish)" to "dashing rogue outlaw" somewhat repellent. Give me an unrepentant scoundrel any day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:30 am 

:toastingpirates:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]