Babylon Nights Question #26 ~ FINAL QUESTION

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Babylon Nights Question #26 ~ FINAL QUESTION

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Noodlemantras this is our last discussion question for Babylon Nights! :-/ I don't really want to end this one. At least we know there will be another book in the series. :bounce:

Thank you all so much...you came through again with your insightful, witty and thought provoking answers. And now...in conclusion...

Is there anything else we haven't covered that you would like to discuss?

Remember to go back and add any thoughts to any question at any time!

Have you ordered your copy of Tim Powers', On Stranger Tides? We hope so! Watch for a special announcement... :grin: We'll see you in a few weeks with tidbits for On Stranger Tides. Stay tuned for exact dates!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Re: Babylon Nights Question #26 ~ FINAL QUESTION

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Can't think of anything left undiscussed on this one so just want to thank you Mods for your usual excellent diligence in getting us informed and thinking!! :bouquet: I'm a little worried about learning too much about the movie if I read On Stranger Tides before seeing it. :perplexed: I was SO happy I knew nothing about The Tourist till my first viewing.
Lookin' forward to Daniel's next! :bounce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I am eagerly waiting to see the information about errors in Daniel's book. More and more I find that I read for content and miss some of the fine points so I missed (or wasn't bothered by) mistakes.

I do have my copy of On Stranger Tides - I believe the movie is based just loosely on the book so I am not too worried about spoilers there.

Again thanks to DITHOT and Liz and everyone who has made this discussion so much fun! :bouquet:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Well as we all know this one wasn’t one of my favorites but I did enjoy discussing it and seeing the different views on all of Daniels characters. I also can’t resist keeping up on characters that continue on in sequels.

I didn’t get a copy of On Stranger Tides. To be honest, the price, especially for a paperback, sort of stopped me in my tracks. I should have got it before news of the film came out. I knew this would happen. I couldn’t find it in my library. ( No surprise) I may run across it elsewhere. We’ll see. If not, I will certainly be following along to see what you all think of it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 pm

This might be a good place for me to add that before I saw the Tourist I bought and watched a DVD of Anthony Zimmer, the movie it was based on - so I knew how the story should end - large parts of the Tourist followed the other movie closely and some parts were quite different, but I think that having seen the original movie heightened my enjoyment of TT. On the other hand, following the filming of Public Enemies contributed to a huge disappointment when the movie came out. So I am not sure what to expect from reading On Stranger Tides before the movie is released, but I am going to read it and discuss it here anyway. I think with PE it was seeing the actual filming that was a problem for me, not having read books about Dillinger.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Another great discussion! Thanks so much Liz and DITHOT and everyone who participated. What I started to say yesterday is that there seemed to be quite a lot of glaring typos in this book. I hate it when there are proofreading errors and I wouldn't have expected Simon & Schuster to put out such sloppy work. For example, I couldn't locate the passage, but one of the first ones that stopped me in my tracks (or at least stopped my train of thought) was when Spandau (or maybe it was Special) was "desposited" somewhere by a driver. Then on page 206, Amalie, speaking in present tense, says, "I knew where there's an Internet cafe." And my favorite, on page 210, "The grate was rusted and bound with an old chair and padlock." :perplexed: On page 236 :. . .just order me the goddman brandy." And on page 250, Special smears some pate on a slide of bread! I don't know, it just seemed really sloppy editing to me - even moreso than I've gotten used to these days.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Those are good catches, Bix. I totally missed "chair." I think I remember "slide." I definitely remember "goddman." I had a good chuckle over that one. :lol:

In defense of Daniel and Simon & Schuster, they are in good company. This seems too common these days. I blame the spell checker because the spell check function doesn't take into consideration the meaning of each word.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Just for the record, I never meant to imply that Daniel had anything to do with the typos. But I do agree with you, Liz, about reliance on spellcheck degrading the proofreading of everything we read these days.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm

I had a typo that I wanted to post that no one has yet included but now can't find the darn thing. :perplexed:

I kept wondering why the grate was bound with a "chair" and then realized it was supposed to be "chain". :lol: You found a lot of the typos, Bix. :cool:

As for On Stranger Tides, I bought it last summer. It does not seem as if it will spoil the movie, though. I look forward to that discussion. :bounce:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Nice catches! moviemom, you can always come back and post on this thread when you find the one you are looking for. Seems kind of strange that a big outfit like Simon and Schuster would rely on computer spell check and not human spell check. I guess there are cutbacks everywhere?

gemini, I agree about the cost of the book. I'm surprised that the publisher has not jumped on the approaching band wagon and released it again. I'm hoping that will be the case. I am almost finished reading On Stranger Tides and I can see where the book was mined for the first three movies as well...hmmm...I smell a discussion question...I don't like spoilers either but I have a feeling that if the basic premise, and I mean basic, is kept the details will be different.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:14 pm

I have a question that I hope hasn't been discussed already (and I just missed it). Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Daniel had to kill off Bobby Dye...and did it make any difference to this book? I know it's a trilogy, and maybe there will be some link back to it in the final book, but it just seemed kind of superfluous in this story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Good question, theresa. I wondered the same thing at the beginning and then forgot about it. Maybe it was just a way to tie the two books together and put a final spin (so the speak) on Bobby so we didn't wonder why he wasn't at Cannes?

Or here is another thought...to bring home the "Babylon" nature of Hollywood and set up the new book?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Theresa wrote:I have a question that I hope hasn't been discussed already (and I just missed it). Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Daniel had to kill off Bobby Dye...and did it make any difference to this book? I know it's a trilogy, and maybe there will be some link back to it in the final book, but it just seemed kind of superfluous in this story.

Theresa, you bring up a good point here about Bobby Dye. When I read about his funeral at the beginning, I assumed that there would be more about what happened to him later in the book and then we went off in another direction and never got back to him. Daniel sort of left it up in the air as to how he died. We are to assume he either accidently overdosed or did it on purpose. I wondered about a couple comments made by Locatelli. That he had a little help from the AMA as the drugs were all legal and maybe Spandau should ask Bobbys ex fiancé or bimbo in Locatelli language. I thought maybe Spandau was going to look into what happened. I think you may have a point and maybe Daniel will go back and pursue this further in the next book since he most likely will be back home. It was almost as if Locatelli wanted to assure Spandau that he had nothing to do with it so he would look elsewhere.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:38 am

Theresa wrote:I have a question that I hope hasn't been discussed already (and I just missed it). Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Daniel had to kill off Bobby Dye...and did it make any difference to this book? I know it's a trilogy, and maybe there will be some link back to it in the final book, but it just seemed kind of superfluous in this story.

It added to the sense of loss that Spandau was feeling, since he and Bobby were supposed to be friends. (I never could quite buy their "close" relationship, especially after the way Losers Town ended). I think Spandau was supposed to be in a depression and maybe losing Dee wasn't enough to define his state of mind. And in the end it made sense to have Bobby gone to make room for Special's entry into Locatelli's movie industry. But like the introduction of the vial into the story, by the time that thread came together it was so long ago it was hard to make the connection.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:06 pm

What a great discussion you all have had on Babylon Nights. I followed it but was unable to really get involved with the discussion (life you know). So many interesting points that I had missed when reading the book. All you noodlemantras are amazing.
Have my copy of Stranger Tides and hope to join in again.

Again - great job everyone!! :hatsoff:

Return to “Babylon Nights”