Babylon Nights Question #25 ~ Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down?

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Babylon Nights Question #25 ~ Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am

Did you like the book? Are you looking forward to 3rd in the trilogy?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: Babylon Nights Question #25 ~ Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down?

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Yes, I liked the book over all. I was not enamored of the whole Cannes festival thing, but Daniel did a good job of guiding us through that. I thought the characters were very well drawn and the plot was filled with lots of twists and turns and surprises, although at times it seemed a bit clumsy getting all the various parts brought together.

This is not my usual type of reading material, but then a lot of what I have read at ONBC has not been my "usual" fare. I have enjoyed the first two books and I would probably read the third one because I think they are very well written. :cool:
Last edited by nebraska on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Thumbs up! I found the twists, turns and shocks of the story pretty interesting, as it's not my usual fare either, and I'm not used to all that! :-O Daniel has a great way with dialogue and characterization. :hatsoff: He can be hilarious, and he can be subtly and gently sentimental, which I love. :heart:
I would definitely read the third book as I have an investment in Spandau now (and Dee?????). :lilyrose:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes, I am looking forward to the next book. There's so much to enjoy in Daniel's storytelling. Love his characters and the witty dialogue. Love the style, this mix of raw and gentle, very nice. I only wish the books were longer, seem so short to me, fly by. Hate when I have to put myself on a 'book diet' cause the book in question could be eaten one two three but I want it to last up to ten. :sigh:

The other reason I want them longer is I want to know more about these characters, back story, side story, dream story whatever. And I like the words, the sentences; I like the rawness of the what the characters say and what Spandau thinks, and also those little lyric passages that you can almost feel on your tongue. I sometimes get the feeling someone's saying short and sweet and tight and yeah, it's a digestible form that way, depending on what you want to do with it. I wonder if as a scriptwriter, he's wanting in his heart to get his books onto the screen, which I get a feeling is a long time love of his. But, Daniel -- we like the way you write, to :censored: with the movie. I'd personally take fame in the form of a book over fame in the form of a movie anyday.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I did like the book very much. This is a genre that I used to read a great deal, although I haven't been doing so lately. But Depp more than holds his own with some of my favorites who have written many more novels than he has. As others have already said, his characters are so wonderfully developed and he has such a great way with words and phrases. I also liked that we got to see more of Spandau's demons in this one and see how he deals with them. So I am really eager for the next one. And I hope the books are successful and he won't stop at three!

Is this the time to talk about the glaring proofreading errors in the book? Did they bother anyone else as much as they did me? I have examples, if this is the place for them.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm

:thumbsdown:
I find myself off in left field by myself again. I didn’t like the book so much. It wasn’t boring. It appealed enough that I went right through it. Usually when I am not crazy about a book I have to force myself to keep reading but I had no problem there. I think I really just didn’t like the characters and for me if I can’t get invested in the main characters I loose interest.
I am not much on detective stories or who done its or in this case who survives. I really didn’t like Anna in this book so that didn’t help, nor was I interested in the workings of Cannes. I have to develop an interest in the characters to worry about them. I truly didn’t care if Perec killed Anna. I was even hoping Vignon kicked Spandaus butt in their little fist fight. For some reason I liked the minor characters better than the main ones. Daniel is a little too good at making them all mixtures of good and bad.
I was annoyed at Daniel for killing off the only character that interested me in the first book. I wasn’t even crazy about Spandau in that book although I had a higher opinion of him. It was the romance between Dee and Spandau that interested me and that seems to have went south. I did like his little unexpected twists and turns, which kept me interested enough to want to find out the end. It takes more than just unexpected events or flawed characters to interest me. I have to buy into them first.
Last edited by gemini on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Gemini: Well written review even if you didn't like the book. Had me laughing! Like this alot: "I truly didn’t care if Perec killed Anna. I was even hoping Vignon kicked Spandaus butt in their little fist fight"

Interesting observation about Daniel's tendency to put both good and bad in each character. Eventually, if not handled correctly, it could affect the progress of the story I would think, everything in balance so no forward movement.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 pm

This is not my preferred genre either but I did enjoy it. I agree with those of you that said his characterizations and dialogue brought it to life. The twists and turns of the plot worked for me as well. He develops his minor characters so well it makes me wonder if he is holding back on Spandau because this is a series? Revealing him layer by layer instead of all at once like Potts or Special? I do seem to remember that he said Potts would be back because readers had such a strong reaction to him, I think Special might be just such a character as well. Didn't he also allude to the fact in an interview that Dee would be back? Again saving his main characters to prolong the story? More questions than answers!

Bix wrote:

Is this the time to talk about the glaring proofreading errors in the book? Did they bother anyone else as much as they did me? I have examples, if this is the place for them.

Bix, you can certainly bring that up now or on tomorrow's (last!) question. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am

I liked it. My favorite part was when Spandau was drunkenly shooting at the squirrels. :lol: I read just about every genre of books (except Romance because they're' so ridiculous) and this was fun.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 am

Okay, I'll wait until tomorrow, DITHOT. Thanks.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Just a real quick response to this (work's crazy right now).....

I LOVED the book (despite the less than stellar copy-editing). I liked it more than Loser's Town, which I didn't expect. I'll expand more later.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 pm

I liked the book but didn't love it. If it were not for the ONBC connection, I would not read another book in the series. I read a fair number of mysteries, and there are better-written series out there. My thumb is wavering . . .

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 am

fireflydances wrote:Yes, I am looking forward to the next book. There's so much to enjoy in Daniel's storytelling. Love his characters and the witty dialogue. Love the style, this mix of raw and gentle, very nice. I only wish the books were longer, seem so short to me, fly by. Hate when I have to put myself on a 'book diet' cause the book in question could be eaten one two three but I want it to last up to ten. :sigh:

The other reason I want them longer is I want to know more about these characters, back story, side story, dream story whatever. And I like the words, the sentences; I like the rawness of the what the characters say and what Spandau thinks, and also those little lyric passages that you can almost feel on your tongue. I sometimes get the feeling someone's saying short and sweet and tight and yeah, it's a digestible form that way, depending on what you want to do with it. I wonder if as a scriptwriter, he's wanting in his heart to get his books onto the screen, which I get a feeling is a long time love of his. But, Daniel -- we like the way you write, to :censored: with the movie. I'd personally take fame in the form of a book over fame in the form of a movie anyday.

If I remember correctly from his first book tour, he said that he was not sure if he would be interested in releasing it to film for 2 reasons....one is that he would want to be the script writer, and two is that he would be afraid that the characters would be pigeonholed into being something that could not be fluid. Keep in mind that this is me explaining this. Unfortunately, I have not been able to put my hand on the exact quote. I thought it was in my files. Could be I filed it wrong.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:48 am

Liz wrote:
fireflydances wrote: I'd personally take fame in the form of a book over fame in the form of a movie anyday.

If I remember correctly from his first book tour, he said that he was not sure if he would be interested in releasing it to film for 2 reasons....one is that he would want to be the script writer, and two is that he would be afraid that the characters would be pigeonholed into being something that could not be fluid. Keep in mind that this is me explaining this. Unfortunately, I have not been able to put my hand on the exact quote. I thought it was in my files. Could be I filed it wrong.

I agree that a book over a film would give me pride as well. Mainly and it sounds like Daniel may have been alluding to this is the quote you are trying to recall Liz. When a film is made the screen writer gets to change things to condense or even portray differently for the film. If Daniel could write his own script he could protect his characters and keep the point of the film and the book the same. As many of us have discussed before, films are rarely as good as the book that inspired them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Babylon Nights”