Babylon Nights Question #22 ~ Casting

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Babylon Nights Question #22 ~ Casting

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 am

Give us your favorite suggestions for casting the movie...any and all characters!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Re: Babylon Nights Question #22 ~ Casting

Unread postby Bix » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm

I got stuck on Spandau and haven't moved past him yet, but I'll put down what I'm thinking just to get us started. In both books, I have envisioned Spandau as looking very much like a somewhat younger version of a guy from Houston who is on the Board of Directors for the association I work with! I have no idea why I ever thought of that, but there you have it. Since I know we are not going to start a new career for my friend from Houston, my next thought was maybe George Clooney. He can look ruggedly handsome and not-so-perfect if he wants to. I think he might be a good Spandau. I also thought maybe Johnny might make a good Walter, but I'm not sure about that one. I'm not very good with casting, since I don't see a whole lot of movies and don't have cable. Will have to think further on some of the others.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Funny how I pictured those characters as I read the book. Since I had Robert Mitchum in my head for Spandau I tried to think who could play Mitchum today. I thought of Russel Crowe
or maybe Clive Owen
or Gerard Butler.
I thought of Anna as the Barbara Stanwick type so I think Sharon Stone
could play a tuff sexy movie queen. I had an Anthony Perkins type in mind for Perec and had a bit of trouble thinking of a younger replacement. I finally stumbled on a young actor that looks the part. Milo Ventimiglia.
For Special, I thought of Wesley Snipes.
I sort of think of Patsy as the Drew Barrymore type.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I'll be honest. I'm absolutely no good at stuff like this. Gemini, like your choices. They sound good.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 pm

gemini, I like your Anna and Perec choices but I picture Spandau as older. I'm so bad at names. I can picture faces but have a hard time coming up with the names.

Bix for some reason George doesn't click with me, nothing personal, I like him as an actor. Maybe we need a picture of the guy from Houston to get him started on his way? :grin:

I thought of Cybill Shepherd as a possible Anna. She has the personality and the accent. I picture Special as a big guy. How about Michael Clark Duncan? (Okay I went to imdb to get his name from The Green Mile.)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Ever since the first book, I haven't been able to see Spandau as anyone other than Tommy Lee Jones. He's too old, but everything else about him fits.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm

I am not good at casting, but always entertained by other people's choices.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks DITHOT for the links. I tried to make them links but it wouldn’t post so when I left the URLs it posted so I gave up. Much easier to use the links. :cool:
I also like Cybil Shepard for Anna. Somehow I didn’t see Special as big. I think those two goons might have had a hard time beating the tar out of someone as big as George. I was worried that Wesley Snipes didn’t seem like the kind of guy that got beat up by goons. Maybe we should have went for Denzel. :biggrin:

Somehow I pictured Spandau as early 40’s. fireflydances…. You are usually pretty good at catching details, did we ever read his age? I do recall us comparing him to Mitchum in the first book and Daniel certainly has included a lot of John Wayne type references. The swaying to the side when he walks comes to mind. I agree with Theresa that Tommy Lee Jones has the rough around the edges look he seems to have. I was trying to look for guys that might settle things with a fist fight.
:lol:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 am

Yes, Theresa, Tommy Lee Jones is perfect for Spandau - but maybe too old. So what about Jeff Bridges? I mean, he's kind of done crusty cowboy old guy lately - but he's not as old as TLJ or some of those guys. And I remember how cool he was in The Fabulous Baker Boys (which was some years ago, but still. . .) But Cybil Shepherd is 60-something, not 40-something, so even though she might be perfect, she is (said without a touch of irony here, folks!) much too old for the part. What about Halle Berry for Anna? Most beautiful woman in the world, 40-something. . .
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:26 am

Uh.....heard my name called :-O
gemini asked Somehow I pictured Spandau as early 40’s. fireflydances…. You are usually pretty good at catching details, did we ever read his age?
Uh, ok boss I'm on it. I got the rest of the evening and, well, I got the rest of the evening.

Oh, by the way, he's definitely a Mitchum for me. Boy that brings back memories. Ok. I'm on the trail. :investigate:

Geesh man, piece of cake. I googled it :biggrin:
The lead character in LOSER'S TOWN is a 38-year old former stuntman
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 am

Here’s what I’ve got for now......

I still see Spandau as Vince Vaughn (as I did when we discussed Loser’s Town)

Special, is without a doubt, this guy:

Mekhi Phifer

He played Dr. Gregory Pratt on ER

You aren’t going to like this, but my first choice for Perec is:

“Ron Weasley” Rupert Grint (edit by Liz)

I think Ron needs to break away from Ron.

2nd choice is Seth Green:

I’m still thinking about the rest, but I do like your choices, Gemini.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:08 am

Liz, interesting choices, all possible. It's funny I actually SEE Special, Spandau, Anna, Perec. But I don't think they fit any actor I know. Special is skinny and I hear his voice, it breaks when he gets upset. Spandau has the build of your suggestion but older. I mean, geesh, I can't deal with a 38 year old has-been and a 40 year old ancient actresses. These people are nuts. Now, a late 40s Spandau...possible.

I tell you, if they made this into a movie and the people were young, I couldn't take it seriously.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:13 am

Firefly, I think of Special as being skinny too. I just can't think of the name of the actor from the 70s who would be perfect. But I can visualize him. But his face, to me looks like Mekhi Phifer's.

One more…..

I think Amalie should play Amalie (although she is too old now):

Audrey Tautou
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 am

Mais bien sûr! Although in my head, it's the Audrey Tautou in Amélie
And, maybe, I was thinking like Diane Lane, she's the right age, for Anna. No, not the best pix. Hey, this isn't my thing, photos.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 am

Good picks, Liz. But the guy who plays Ron Weasley is named Rupert Grint, I believe. And that is the perfect picture of Amelie, firefly. That's how I saw Amalie, too.

Return to “Babylon Nights”