Babylon Nights Question #21 ~ Why scorpions?

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Babylon Nights Question #21 ~ Why scorpions?

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Why these guys?

Sorry for the delay. I thought DITHOT had the question today. :blush:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: Babylon Nights Question #21 ~ Why scorpions?

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Geeeeez Liz!! :yuck2:
First we had to look at all those pictures during the tidbit. Now we have to think about the things from an existential standpoint? I'm getting the willies already. Geesh!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I supposed you like those emails that have you stare at a picture and then suddenly and picture of Linda Blair from the Exorcist pops up? :mwahaha: :yikes:

Why scorpions? Well it obviously plays on one of my deep seated fears!
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Do you mean there was a reason? I am beginning to think I missed a lot in this book. I just thought he accidently found them under a rock stumbling around looking for a way into Anna's house. I’ll wait and let you ladies tell me what I missed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm

I have to admit that it's a bit much to have to look at that huge picture every time you open up this thread. There was some rhyme to my reason, though. ;-) I've since converted it to a thumbnail. And even the thumbnail might be too much for some folks. But for those that love to look at the things, you can click on it and see it up close and personal. And the rest of you can squint your eyes.

Gemini, I don't know if there was a reason or not. But nothing seems to be accidental where Daniel's writing is concerned.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Having been stung (mildly) quite a few times in my life in sandy South Texas and in the limestone of the Hill Country (they are everywhere!), scorpions are not my favorite things either. But I think they would be a great idea to use to scare and, I guess, to harm or kill someone - if you had some of the really lethal ones. Seems most people's ick factor is aroused by the sight of them and we don't really know too much about what would happen if we got stung, etc. But for the person doing the evil deed against someone, they are easy to catch, don't weigh very much even in great numbers, don't move very fast, are absolutely silent - the perfect weapon.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Good points, Bix! :cool: And I also thought that they could inflict a lot of pain and suffering without being fatal if the right type were chosen. From a practical standpoint, the little guys had a lot going for them as far as portability and practicality. Even if there was no grander motive for selecting them.

Rushes off to make note of another question for Daniel if he consents to Q&A

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm

After noticing the scorpion on the book jacket, I was wondering when it would come up in the story. Then Perec killed a scorpion while he was in his creepy hiding place. At first he actually felt bad about it, then it dawned on him that it was just like him, and he got his fine idea of how to use them. So I think scorpions were put into play because of their symbolic resemblance to Perec. One web site said. " Because it strikes without warning, delivering a painful, venomous sting from its hiding place, the scorpion is an emblem of treachery, hatred, envy, danger, pain, death, wickedness and fear." Sound like someone we know? :hills:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Betty Sue, that's pretty much what I had guessed about the scorpions--that they were symbolic of Perec himself. He spent a lot of time hiding in dark places, like AnnaWorld in his attic at home, and the crawl space in the walls at the villa in France. Just like the scorpions, hiding under rocks and in dark places. They also carried around their weapons--their stingers--like Perec carried around his blade; always at the ready, striking fast and silent.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Betty Sue wrote:After noticing the scorpion on the book jacket, I was wondering when it would come up in the story. Then Perec killed a scorpion while he was in his creepy hiding place. At first he actually felt bad about it, then it dawned on him that it was just like him, and he got his fine idea of how to use them. So I think scorpions were put into play because of their symbolic resemblance to Perec. One web site said. " Because it strikes without warning, delivering a painful, venomous sting from its hiding place, the scorpion is an emblem of treachery, hatred, envy, danger, pain, death, wickedness and fear." Sound like someone we know? :hills:

Very perceptive. As many times as I've handled this book I never noticed the one on the cover until you mentioned it. Since it is on the bed with a woman, I guess is Anna, it must represent Perec.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:57 pm

I am so glad you made that picture smaller, but even now, gee it creeps me out! :yuck:

I think I am in agreement with what others' comments. Nebraksa said
they could inflict a lot of pain and suffering without being fatal if the right type were chosen. From a practical standpoint, the little guys had a lot going for them as far as portability and practicality
. And Bix said
they are easy to catch, don't weigh very much even in great numbers, don't move very fast, are absolutely silent - the perfect weapon
. Furthermore, as Betty Sue indicated,
scorpions could be seen as having a symbolic resemblance to Perec........." Because it strikes without warning, delivering a painful, venomous sting from its hiding place, the scorpion is an emblem of treachery, hatred, envy, danger, pain, death, wickedness and fear."

Finally, I would think a writer might be drawn to the idea of them, given they're prevalent in the region, and the really absolutely totally loaded "ICK" value. Don't need a lot of set up. Don't require much written description after you type in "scorpions". Certain to send your readers into a frenzy of long-lasting creepy thoughts.

I still can't get the picture of Spandau in that giant oak barrel out of my head. Now and then, it creeps forward "now why is it that they didn't immediately all drown? (Note to self: keep this in memory banks for future referencing -- when visiting France, possibly Italy, definitely Spain, Mexico and Arizona, Texas, Florida, uh portions of Africa :-O -- ------ consider alternate plans)

Yeah, a good device on many fronts. :yuck2:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Bix wrote:don't move very fast
I am relieved to read that.
Bix wrote:are absolutely silent - the perfect weapon.
But not relieved to read that.

I have to admit, I thought it was scorpions because they haven't been done much before. Snakes on planes, snakes in Indiana Jones, etc. Bats, rats, spiders--done, done, done. (Ok, apparently there was a Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns, but I didn't see that.) The ickiness factor is pretty high for the little critters.

What does anyone think of the characteristics of the scorpion in the folktale of the scorpion and the frog? The scorpion in the fable stings because it's his nature; even when it's in his own best interest not to sting, he cannot help himself. Is that like our villain, or not? :perplexed:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 pm

fansmom wrote:
Bix wrote:don't move very fast
I am relieved to read that.

Bix wrote:are absolutely silent - the perfect weapon.
But not relieved to read that.

I have to admit, I thought it was scorpions because they haven't been done much before. Snakes on planes, snakes in Indiana Jones, etc. Bats, rats, spiders--done, done, done. (Ok, apparently there was a Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns, but I didn't see that.) The ickiness factor is pretty high for the little critters.

What does anyone think of the characteristics of the scorpion in the folktale of the scorpion and the frog?

The scorpion in the fable stings because it's his nature; even when it's in his own best interest not to sting, he cannot help himself. Is that like our villain, or not? :perplexed:

We have an accord on your points, fansmom. I had forgotten about the fable, good catch. I had one in my house last week. The little bugger was (emphasis on was) the same color as my floors and I didn't see him and almost stepped on him. The little devils will play possum and make you think they are dead...DO NOT believe it! :mwahaha: Luckily #2 son was ready with scorpion killer tool (shoe) available. :tommygun:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 pm

:yikes: Ewww! Eww, eww, eww..... :hills:

P.S. Yeah, great catch on the fable Fansmom. Helpless to hurt themselves and others.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Things to do:
Visit Texas, land of scorpions.
Nothing personal, DITHOT.

Return to “Babylon Nights”