Babylon Nights Question #19 ~ Anna

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: Babylon Nights Question #19 ~ Anna

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm

fireflydances wrote:EDIT: Adding photo of Sophia Loren at 76 years.

Lovely photo of Sophia, but let's face it - a naturally-aged 76 year old woman does not look like that! :freaked: There has to be have been a lot of surgery and make up and hair color used for her to come across with that look. Which kind of makes the point Daniel was trying to make, I think. If she came out with gray hair, lined skin, and a saggy chest it would be more honest but the glamorous image would be gone.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:EDIT: Adding photo of Sophia Loren at 76 years.

Lovely photo of Sophia, but let's face it - a naturally-aged 76 year old woman does not look like that! :freaked: There has to be have been a lot of surgery and make up and hair color used for her to come across with that look. Which kind of makes the point Daniel was trying to make, I think. If she came out with gray hair, lined skin, and a saggy chest it would be more honest but the glamorous image would be gone.

I saw recently photos of Sophia on one of those sites where they said she fibbed about not having any plastic surgery. I was hesitant to post and say that but I do think people should be realistic about age. When I looked at her neck I knew there was no way she looked like that at 76. They have before and after photos that are pretty telling. They say she had rhinoplasty and a face lift and wears at lot of wigs. Not that I have any problem with doing what you need to feel good about yourself. I just don’t think it’s good to give people the idea that they can hold back mother nature after a certain age with out a little surgical anti gravity help. By the way even in the after shots she doesn’t look as good as this photo but darn good for 76.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 pm

I guess the point I was trying to made, and probably shouldn't have resorted to any photos to make it, is that I don't think we (as an audience) should settle for women 'of a certain age' being relegated to non-sexual roles. NOT that I feel it is necessary to have this element, just that I don't think women should be limited, at any age to any set category of characters. In any case, when we are talking about female actresses being considered 'too old' at 40, well that's just plain absurd.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Remember in 2002 when Jamie Lee Curtis appeared in a magazine without being airbrushed or glamorized? She was told it would be the end of her career. Nearly a decade later, at age 52, she's still making movies.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 pm

fireflydances wrote:I guess the point I was trying to made, and probably shouldn't have resorted to any photos to make it, is that I don't think we (as an audience) should settle for women 'of a certain age' being relegated to non-sexual roles. NOT that I feel it is necessary to have this element, just that I don't think women should be limited, at any age to any set category of characters. In any case, when we are talking about female actresses being considered 'too old' at 40, well that's just plain absurd.

I agree that 40 is not old. Besides 50 is the new 40. Some are saying 60 is the new 40. I truly think a lot of the baby boomer generation are staying young looking a lot longer. If you look at actresses still playing the love interest in films, many are older than we think.
I do think that most who are past 60 have had plastic surgery. Even Jane Fonda recently said she succumbed. The ideal is to look great as long as you can without it but if your field is acting you do what you have to do. It is just not fair that they let men age gracefully and women are not supposed to age.
:lol:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 am

I think that it is probably a necessity to have it done if one is an actress.

Now about Anna..... I think I waited so long to weigh in on this question because I just wasn't sure how I felt about her. She wasn't real for me. I had no sympathy for her at all until I realized that she was in love with Spandau. And I'm not sure that she actually was. I just didn't feel anything from her character at all.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Liz wrote:I think that it is probably a necessity to have it done if one is an actress.

Now about Anna..... I think I waited so long to weigh in on this question because I just wasn't sure how I felt about her. She wasn't real for me. I had no sympathy for her at all until I realized that she was in love with Spandau. And I'm not sure that she actually was. I just didn't feel anything from her character at all.

I'm in complete agreement with you, Liz, which is why I skirted the question as well.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

I was very impatient with Anna - she struck me as extremely needy and ego-driven, not exactly a winning combination. She typifies the least attractive stereotype of Hollywood stars. It may be a difficult trap to avoid if you are extremely good-looking, but I wish she had made more of an effort. Being a demanding bitch isn't necessary. (Oooh. Now you know what I really thought of her... :biggrin: )

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 pm

:harhar:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Are you sure that's what you think, Buster? :lol:

The one thing about her being such a strong personality is she stood up well to Spandau.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Buster said: Being a demanding bitch isn't necessary. (Oooh. Now you know what I really thought of her... )
And here I was feeling like I was out on left field with my dislike of Anna.
:highfive:

Does anyone else think like I do that Daniel is intentionally mixing up his good guys and bad guys to make sure we get it that everyone is a bit of both and nothing is clear cut in this world?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

gemini wrote:Buster said: Being a demanding bitch isn't necessary. (Oooh. Now you know what I really thought of her... )
And here I was feeling like I was out on left field with my dislike of Anna.
:highfive:

Does anyone else think like I do that Daniel is intentionally mixing up his good guys and bad guys to make sure we get it that everyone is a bit of both and nothing is clear cut in this world?

He and his brother may be cut of the same cloth. :cool:

And yes, I, too, am relieved that not everyone liked Anna very much.

Return to “Babylon Nights”