Babylon Nights Question #8 ~ The Fight

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Babylon Nights Question #8 ~ The Fight

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Comment on the fight between Vignon and Spandau in Chapter 4 of Part 2.

Did you think it was entertaining? Humorous? Juvenile?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Re: Babylon Nights Question #7 ~ The Fight

Unread postby Buster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I found it immensely entertaining - and oddly realistic. Let's face it, most real-life fights have elements of slapstick. It also exposed the characters' foibles, which makes them more human, as well.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I think it was entertaining, humorous, and juvenile! I could see it being played out in a movie. And I love the way Spandau slowly and boringly spun out his story and then..... ZING!!! :grin:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Don't have much time this evening, but I just had to say the fight was one of my favorite scenes in the book. I truly laughed out loud at it. Loved the dialogue and description and just imagining them slogging it out! And it was such a wonderful device to get the two men to be allies for when they needed to be.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Bix: Loved the dialogue and description and just imagining them slogging it out!
Couldn't agree more. There's such a nice slow grace to the dialogue as well as the accompanying description, polite and almost ridiculously dignified -- "finding a clean place for the jackets, moving like a bullfighter, jousting and the Chaplinesque walk" -- lovely images. I want this man to write big books. :grin:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm

I’m with Betty Sue, It was entertaining, humorous and juvenile.

I can see where it would be amusing as a scene in a film. I just can’t get my head around a real life version of two guys beating each other up and then being pals. I know it’s a common theme in westerns for two guys to break the ice and become best pals but it seems more likely they would be madder because of all the new aches and pains they gave each other.

I did enjoy the two references to our last book (Being and Nothingness” and “Duex Magots”) in Vignons comeback about Spandua’s time in France during the war. And Spandua’s story was cute. I did have to admit that falling in dog do do and broken glass was appropriate and served them both right.
:biggrin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

I was really interested to see what everyone had to say about this fight. Personally, I thought it was just stupid man stuff.......but apparently I missed the point.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 pm

nebraska, I think that was the point exactly, at least for me. Two guys trying to be macho and "real men" because that is what was expected of them culturally but neither of them really had their hearts into it. I thought it was very funny and agree it would make a good scene in the film.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Personally, I thought it was just stupid man stuff.......
:biglaugh: You said it sister!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:41 pm

fireflydances wrote:

It was along the same vein as the "fight" with the raccoons, only with fists and a 2-legged adversary.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 am

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:

It was along the same vein as the "fight" with the raccoons, only with fists and a 2-legged adversary.

Yes I agree. It made me wonder whether Daniel wanted to make sure his hero was flawed or if he thinks this is an acceptable male stereotype.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: Babylon Nights Question #8 ~ The Fight

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:00 am

Frankly, I think he just likes 'human' men. His men are very human, very good you know?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:58 am

nebraska wrote:I was really interested to see what everyone had to say about this fight. Personally, I thought it was just stupid man stuff.......but apparently I missed the point.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one. I had no patience for it. I just can't relate, I guess. And that is probably not very tolerant of me.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Babylon Nights Question #8 ~ The Fight

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 am

fireflydances wrote:Frankly, I think he just likes 'human' men. His men are very human, very good you know?

I think that all of his characters are well drawn and pretty realistic. But that doesn't mean that I enjoy reading about their silly fights. :lol:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:I was really interested to see what everyone had to say about this fight. Personally, I thought it was just stupid man stuff.......but apparently I missed the point.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one. I had no patience for it. I just can't relate, I guess. And that is probably not very tolerant of me.

:highfive:

Return to “Babylon Nights”